FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you eat when depressed?

Nameless
It's a pretty common trope in the media that when somebody (especially if female) is depressed they immediately start moping over a whole tub of ice cream or bag of biscuits. I know this has some basis in reality - when I used to see my mother eating chocolate there was like an 80% chance she was moody at the time - but I don't know how common reaching for comfort food actually is. To me, it just seems like a really stupid choice of comfort; it's inherently temporary and liable to cause you physical ill if you overeat. On the occasions I feel depressed I actually need to force myself to go to the effort of eating (even normally delicious) meals, if anything.

How about you?
deanhills
I hate stereotyping period. If someone (regardless of being male of female) is using food to zone out of this cruel world, then there must be something in that food that is soothing them. The equivalent of a drug. I think some people have mentioned trytophan that has a calming effect. Reaching out for food is not much different to reaching for a cigarette, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc. Except of course the person who is using food has a good chance of running into obesity problems. Then again any of the others also have their side-effects and ability to become addicted. Worst case scenario chronic diseases. None of the above is ideal.

The healthiest cure for depression obviously is lots of exercise in fresh air. I try and go for that when I can. I'm the same as you are when I'm stressed, food turns into acid when I eat it. Music is probably the best medicine for me then.
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
The healthiest cure for depression obviously is lots of exercise in fresh air.

Obviously. Well, I'm glad we've fully solved that wide-ranging mental problem, ha ha, that could have been awkward for us otherwise, huh? *raises eyebrow*

... but no seriously, I was referring less to clinical-level depression / addiction and more along the lines of "had a bad day at work with that mean manager and feel mopey so nom nom nom" Razz
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
... but no seriously, I was referring less to clinical-level depression / addiction and more along the lines of "had a bad day at work with that mean manager and feel mopey so nom nom nom" Razz
..... OK ..... got it!

In that case a stiff whiskey would be my remedy and making some posts at Frihost. Very Happy
mshafiq
i can not eat when i depressed i feel vomiting
Coen
If it helps people then they should do it, but just be careful not to overdo things. Otherwise you will end up in the circle of 'I eat because I have problems, I have problems because I eat' and you don't want that.

As for myself: whenever I am depressed I just eat normally. I prefer using physical exercise to improve my mood and/or to deal with how I'm feeling. Wearing myself out physically usually does more for me than eating. Plus I believe it's healthier too.
magnustoday
one symptom of depression is changes in appetite, so it's either you eat more or eat less.

Now, serotonin is the happy hormone which is found in bananas, oranges and chocolates. That's the reason why people who are down eat chocolate, chocolate ice cream and the abovementioned fruits.
Insanity
I don't eat ice cream when I'm depressed, and I actually don't eat a lot of food. Mostly I just mope around, which probably isn't the healthiest thing, but at least I'm not eating a lot of food that I don't need.
Coen
Insanity wrote:
I don't eat ice cream when I'm depressed, and I actually don't eat a lot of food. Mostly I just mope around, which probably isn't the healthiest thing, but at least I'm not eating a lot of food that I don't need.

It's healthier than eating a lot for sure. Your body will usually have some reserves left which can be used to cover for the food you would otherwise be eating, and you can always eat a little bit more later to compensate.
Vanilla
Am I the only female in this topic? I think females are more portrayed in the media as the "depressed-eater-clichés" because we are quick to associate depression and confort food. Also, we got addicted to nicotine more easily because of the same reason: we quickly associate nicotine with the calming effects that it has on us. I read a study some time ago about that, saying that it is harder for women to get rid of nicotine addiction because of that.

Also, some foods have pretty obvious effects on our mood, like serotonin-filled chocolate bars. I use to have a pretty strong PMS and chocolate was my number one choice to soothe it.

magnustoday wrote:
one symptom of depression is changes in appetite, so it's either you eat more or eat less.

When I broke my leg I use to ate one big chocolate bar per day. I was pretty miserable and chocolate helped a lot. Very Happy
menino
Well, I used to eat when I was depressed, but these days (most of the time), I take a walk which helps a little to relieve the stress and also exercise, which leaves me rejuvinated and refreshed, and I have to focus on the exercise as well, which makes me take my mind off the stressful things in life.

Having said that, its not easy, because a lot fo high-carb fatty foods are like drugs, which soothe certain parts of the brain for comfort, and then the repurcussions are harsh, on your body and system.
Best way to deal with depression is to deal with it head-on, writing down what you feel, talking to someone, or getting professional help as well.