FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Apple Care

davidv
So for the past 2 weeks I've been saving a bit of money to buy myself a Macbook Pro (by this Friday, I should have enough to get one Very Happy). I'm wondering if I should spend an extra $300 AU for apple care. Despite 1.00 AUD = 1.01459 USD, the 13" Macbook I want to purchase in USD is $1,499.00 but $1,698 AUD which I think is absolutely ridiculous! I get a 10% student discount but regardless of the discount, it's still a very large amount of money (I'm a struggling undergrad Laughing).

So yeah, I just want your opinion on whether or not I should buy Apple Care. I'm usually quite careful with expensive toys but accidents happen.
badai
if you have to save money to buy computer, and have to be "calculative" to spend more, then you are definitely not a mac person.

what kind of computer have a blinking logo on top of the lid to purposely advertise to all other people they are using that brand? well, the one to show off. but since you not really have means to show off, you will be better off using computer that you can really use instead to show off to others what you own.
Ankhanu
Apple Care is a fairly good idea. Macs are fairly reliable, but when they go, they go big Razz Apple Care extends your warranty coverage, and can save you a lot of money... if something goes wrong. That said, I didn't by it for my old MacBook, nor my current MacBook Pro. I did need to use my warranty on my iPhone, and the customer service was head and shoulders beyond anything I've ever had to deal with before; top notch!

badai wrote:
what kind of computer have a blinking logo on top of the lid to purposely advertise to all other people they are using that brand? well, the one to show off. but since you not really have means to show off, you will be better off using computer that you can really use instead to show off to others what you own.

Every single brand that is manufactured these days. Apple is NOT the only one with their logo on the lid advertising what it is. I was an electronics retailer for a while and not a single laptop we sold didn't have the company's logo on the cover (I sold Compaq, HP, Toshiba, Acer, among others), and my first laptop, a Dell had the company quite prominently on the lid... Apple isn't even the only one that illuminates their logo. You might want to take a look at the world before condemning a company for using the same advertising as everyone else.

Using a Mac isn't exactly "showing off". Believe it or not, most people are like you and have their heads up their butts as to why people use them; it's hardly showing off when most people think you're a tool for buying a brand that they think sucks Razz
deanhills
davidv wrote:
So for the past 2 weeks I've been saving a bit of money to buy myself a Macbook Pro (by this Friday, I should have enough to get one Very Happy). I'm wondering if I should spend an extra $300 AU for apple care. Despite 1.00 AUD = 1.01459 USD, the 13" Macbook I want to purchase in USD is $1,499.00 but $1,698 AUD which I think is absolutely ridiculous! I get a 10% student discount but regardless of the discount, it's still a very large amount of money (I'm a struggling undergrad Laughing).

So yeah, I just want your opinion on whether or not I should buy Apple Care. I'm usually quite careful with expensive toys but accidents happen.
I'd go for the Applecare, particularly since it is an expensive product and if anything should go wrong with it, you'd like a little bit of insurance.

A little voice tells me you're not going to be a struggling undergrad for long .... Cool
davidv
badai wrote:
if you have to save money to buy computer, and have to be "calculative" to spend more, then you are definitely not a mac person.

If you're the kind of person that doesn't spend time researching a product before buying (especially one that costs thousands of dollars) then you are either rich or ignorant, sometimes both. I'm however not rich so being "calculative" to spend more is a big deal. I don't understand what part of that makes me "not a mac person". I enjoy using their products, I love the operating system and the aesthetics appeal to me.

Ankhanu wrote:
Apple Care is a fairly good idea. Macs are fairly reliable, but when they go, they go big Apple Care extends your warranty coverage, and can save you a lot of money... if something goes wrong. That said, I didn't by it for my old MacBook, nor my current MacBook Pro. I did need to use my warranty on my iPhone, and the customer service was head and shoulders beyond anything I've ever had to deal with before; top notch!

I absolutely agree! "When they go, they go big!" haha

deanhills wrote:
A little voice tells me you're not going to be a struggling undergrad for long .... Cool

If by "not for long" you mean 3 more years of tertiary education and assuming I maintain my grades, keep my job and stay on top of everything I do related to my career, then yes. Not for long Laughing

Anyway,

I spent some more time researching Apple Care and it looks like I might get it. It extends the 90 day warranty to 3 years. I've never actually had a laptop survive longer than 2 years so that's awesome.

Here's the link: http://store.apple.com/au/product/APPLECAREMACPRO-102586

But I've also found this: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/12/apple-hit-with-12-million-fine-for-misleading-italian-consumers.ars

Interesting, yes.
Ankhanu
davidv wrote:
Anyway,

I spent some more time researching Apple Care and it looks like I might get it. It extends the 90 day warranty to 3 years. I've never actually had a laptop survive longer than 2 years so that's awesome.

Your Mac SHOULD live longer than 2 years Razz I had my first MacBook from Jan 2007 until May this year; the only reason I upgraded was because I was using Parallels a lot to run Windows in a virtual machine while running MacOS, and I needed more resources (mainly RAM, but a quad core i7 certainly helped). The 2007 MacBook was still running splendidly, but I, I suppose, simply wanted something new. Treat it well and your Mac should last, barring any random unforeseeable hardware failures... but you have the Apple Care to take care of those Wink

I also worked at a camera store that was an Apple reseller around 2006-2008; we had a certified Apple technician on staff (the only one in the region), so I saw a lot of systems come through the doors. Anything under warranty was as simple as handing it over, and getting it back as fast as it took to get the parts shipped in, no charge. Outside of warranty, however, the price was pretty high, unfortunately.

That said, Macs hold their value spectacularly. I sold my old one, at 4.5 years of age, for nearly $600. My Dell certainly wouldn't have fetched nearly that price at the same age, even though it cost just as much as a Mac new.

2008-2009 I worked at The Source (formerly Radio Shack), selling Windows (and a couple Linux) based systems, and I have to say, the difference in the level of customer care between Apple and the IBM style competition (yeah, using an anachronistic term there Razz ) is immense. Can't say I had too many customers leave particularly happy when they brought their systems in for warranty work, and many of the stories I was given about dealing with each company's customer service were varied and almost universally poor.

Good luck with the new system, and enjoy the feeling of the aluminum case under your fingers Wink
davidv
I guess I'm going to have to save up a little bit more. Sad
pll
You have always a one year limited warranty on the Mac.

If your mac is going to die, it will die in the first year and they will replace it without any fees.
If the applecare covers accidental damage (like physical damage or water damage) I guess it's worth to save more money and get it.

If it doesn't cover accidents then don't get it.

Do not forget that it also covers accessories, so if you always break your headphones (for example) then you can replace them free.