FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WiFi bandwidth

baboosaa
I use open wifi connection in my college. Its not good bandwidth but sufficient to browse sites easily. But for past couple of days there are few students ,when they come around with their computer ,bandwidth of rest of the computer decreases greatly.
Can a computer (a station) block the bandwidth of other station on same Access Point
Ankhanu
There's just the one connection and every system connected uses that one source of bandwidth. Add more systems and the bandwidth available for each decreases.
baboosaa
i got what you said
i am simply saying ---- will the bandwidth distribution be even among all the systems or not
Hexes
baboosaa wrote:
i got what you said
i am simply saying ---- will the bandwidth distribution be even among all the systems or not

You should ask your network administrator since it all depends on the settings he used. If you say that your bandwidth decrease when they are around then probably the answer is no.
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
There's just the one connection and every system connected uses that one source of bandwidth. Add more systems and the bandwidth available for each decreases.

There isn't a set amount of bandwidth for each computer. The router separates it so each computer will get semi equal usage, but if there is a lot of users and they are all watch YouTube videos and your browsing Frihost it will definitely slow down your speed incredibly.

Also, you could change your DNS Server to like Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) This could possibly increase the time it takes to load a page.
kmontano
Unfortunately without doing some less than legal things to get them off the network or straight up telling them to stop hogging the bandwidth you really can't fix this without seeing your network admin.
pll
There are priorities in the packets that the access point / router is processing, so if this person takes the 1st priority things (always) the experience of other users will decrease.
weableandbob
There isn't all that much you can do besides using the internet during non-peak times or find a way to get a different connection (such as getting some sort of wimax connection)
sysna
Actually it really depends on the access point config, if you have configured it to divide the whole bandwidth to the number of users and give each equal amount of bandwidth then even with many users connected you should still get enough speed for web browsing (if the number of users are not that much which you even can't get 10kbits/s).

But if you haven't configured it to do that then when a resources hungry user comes to the network other users will face lack of enough bandwidth, in our network in university there was a user which always was downloading huge files with download managers and was eating the whole bandwidth we set a limit for each connection and every thing was good until somehow that user find out a way to bypass our software limits so we used another trick, with our new limit the user is only allowed to get 50MB of traffic each 10 Minutes so web browsing users are now completely safe from bandwidth being constantly used by downloaders.