FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Occupy Movemement

inoshi
Hi,

Just wondering if there's been much discussion about Occupy Movement here or not?

Curiously,

Inoshi
deanhills
There is a good "Frihost search" option on the top right hand side of the page that works well. I used it and it came up with topics on the Occupy Movement in the Politics Forum.

Now that you have opened a new thread any way, would be great to have your views on the Occupy Movement. I'm all for it, but am sorry it never made as much headway as it should have Very Happy
inoshi
Yeah I just figured I'd ask a genearl questions to see.

I'm NYC and had been down there on and off since day 1, popping in or staying for quite awhile.

Now I've been spending time once in awhile since (the eviction) w/ occupiers that are being offered space in a Manhattan church as an Energy Wellness Practitioner doing gentle hands on healing and energy work (such as Reiki). I also have been in volved with wellness by offering and participating in meditations and doing Pana Play (like Chi Gung).

As far as the movement goes it is regrouping and if it were to disappear today I think it could be considered a success in terms of a campaign to raise awareness about matters of public trust.

Thanks for Your Response,

Inoshi Rolling Eyes
brandon02852
inoshi wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if there's been much discussion about Occupy Movement here or not?

Curiously,

Inoshi

Occupy Providence has agreed to leave Burnside Park if the City of Providence opened a temporary day shelter for the homeless.

The vote passed unanimously 36-11.

SOURCE: I live in Rhode Island
deanhills
brandon02852 wrote:
inoshi wrote:
Hi,

Curiously,

Inoshi

Occupy Providence has agreed to leave Burnside Park if the City of Providence opened a temporary day shelter for the homeless.

I'd say that was a mission with a noble cause. I'd love to visit Rhode Island one day. Has to be a great community living there. Very Happy
brandon02852
deanhills wrote:
brandon02852 wrote:
inoshi wrote:
Hi,

Curiously,

Inoshi

I'd say that was a mission with a noble cause. I'd love to visit Rhode Island one day. Has to be a great community living there. Very Happy

You should only visit RI to go to Newport or the Jamestown beaches in Beavertail. The center of Providence is nice, however.
deanhills
Must say it is nice to have the benefit of those who are directly involved in the movement. Not just talking about it. Puts people like me to shame. Very Happy
inoshi
Apparently one town in NJ has some military tents up and running water, endorsed by the mayor . . .
deanhills
inoshi wrote:
Apparently one town in NJ has some military tents up and running water, endorsed by the mayor . . .
Sounds like a great idea. I'd imagine it will be providing shelter for the homeless too by default?
jmi256
I have been to four "Occupations" (New York, Boston, Chicago and Lancaster, a small town in Pennsylvania), and they all seem to suffer from the same problems. They lack any purpose, other than a reason for some to gather, protest whatever they seem to be angry about at the moment, party and get high, and demand that others bankroll their lives simply for existing. Their modus operandi seemed to be protest first, figure out what you are protesting later. There was some talk about wanting to help the less fortunate, etc., but other than some one-off examples, this hasn’t happened and has been just talk. Here in New York the Occupy movement actually turned away the less fortunate (homeless, etc.) so that the Occupiers could continue to dine on high-end, professionally prepared meals rather than share with those they claimed to be “fighting for”. They have been an embarrassment for the Left where the racist and bigoted elements of their fringe have been given an opportunity to come out of the woodwork and vent. I was actually somewhat sad that New York Occupiers left Zuccotti Park; they provided tons of examples of how the Left operates and how dysfunctional and idiotic their beliefs are.
inoshi
deanhills wrote:
inoshi wrote:
Sounds like a great idea. I'd imagine it will be providing shelter for the homeless too by default?

I would assume so - I was at a wellness working group meeting and a person who was organizing that kind of interrupted us and announced what was happening (this was about three weeks ago). He was part of direct Direct Action (he said humorously) - really on the ground getting things done.
ocalhoun
inoshi wrote:
He was part of direct Direct Action (he said humorously) - really on the ground getting things done.

Protesting in order to get others to take action is not 'Direct Action'.

Doing the things yourself is direct action.