FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Onlive rock or suck!

splintercdo
Previous post on Onlive was about predictions and opinions on future service(technology).

Now it is reality, you can download onlive client and play "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" on your pocket device or fairly old computer all you need is decent internet connection.

After testing it out on different computers with a range of connections I can tell that it works OK, of course, it just might be because I live in Latvia and as we are first or second country by download and upload speeds in the world Cool it might not be very objective opinion, but, anyway, quality is great.

But what sucks is that
* buying games is available only in US and UK, so I cannot buy subscription or separate games(it is really annoying only thing I can do is to play games for 30 minutes, then interestingly, I can play the same game again for 30 minutes of course from the beginning)

* And I wonder how much people will buy games for full price if they are taking games down after a while, for example, again with: "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" they guarantee that game will be available till 2014. But what's happening after that!? Confused

So have you tried out this service? What are your thoughts on it?

http://www.onlive.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onlive
weableandbob
I've personally never used it yet, but I've read some reputable reviews, particularly from PC Gamer. They said that it works, but it has some problems such as some noticeable input lag, the 2GB/hour bandwidth use (for anyone with a capped connection), and the video has a low resolution with high compression (leading to an overall poor image quality). It's a good idea, and it's amazing that they've been able to do something like this, but there's still a long way to go.
catscratches
I tried it out but my connection is far too bad for it (and my connection is average, so I can't imagine it working very well for most people). Terribly compressed video with immense delay and eventually it stopped working entirely.
drunkenkoz
I rather just stick to using gamefly.
splintercdo
Quote:
It's a good idea, and it's amazing that they've been able to do something like this, but there's still a long way to go.

In any case I do not believe that developers of Onlive are those who has long way to go. It's your internet service providers who needs to offer better choices for lower prices. Because I said that Onlive has some minuses, but:
Quote:
video has a low resolution with high compression

at least on laptop picture looks fantastic, everything is sharp and bright
Quote:
the 2GB/hour bandwidth

hmm... didn't knew about this, will have to check it out if it is issue currently
Quote:
noticeable input lag

If you say so I think yeah, sometimes, it could be noticeable, but it doesn't spoil gameplay at all, because, I played very fast paced games and didn't felt any discomfort

So, from my experience on different computers with different connections, I must say you are wrong, or maybe reviews were old ones, but WE ARE THERE! And do not have any way to go at all. What you need is decent connection and the part of gaming experience of Onlive will be great. All those complains you mentioned weren't problems of onlive they were insufficient internet connection related!

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
and my connection is average, so I can't imagine it working very well for most people

Could you share information on your download, upload speeds or what you call AVERAGE connection, I am asking this because I think my home connection is average(it is simple DSL meaning I get very stable, but not fast at all down, up speeds) and I get perfect experience!
My download speed is 10 Mbit/s
My upload speed is 800 Kbit/s

As you see this isn't anything to brag about a lot Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I rather just stick to using gamefly.

We all have our favorites Wink
Never have been using gamefly!
gueda
catscratches wrote:
I tried it out but my connection is far too bad for it (and my connection is average, so I can't imagine it working very well for most people). Terribly compressed video with immense delay and eventually it stopped working entirely.

Could you define what is an average connection in your country?