FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cockroaches

Hello_World
In the last year or so, I have started getting cockroaches! in my house.

They haven't really seemed much of a bother, I usually collect it in a glass and chuck it outside.

But I'm worried about them. I haven't grown up with cockroaches. They have a pretty bad image.

What do they do that is so bad?

Should I be concerned? And if so, what should I do about it?

Does it have to do with the dirtiness of my house?

I'm not sure what type they are but they are large, solitary and run quickly. I find them most often in my kitchen.

What are your experiences with cockroaches?
Ankhanu
Hello_World wrote:
What do they do that is so bad?

Most would say "exist". They don't like bugs in general, and cockroaches are one that habitually associate with us, putting us close to them more often than many others. Add in the idea that people associate them with dirty conditions...
More realistically, the issue is simply how many may aggregate. In large number, over long periods, they can cause some respiratory issues due to aggregation pheromones they release, and fecal and exuvia (shed skin) particles that get into the air. Really, they're relatively clean insects, themselves, but they do walk though some nastiness, and can leave some particles along in their tracks.

I don't really know a tonne about cockroaches, but, even as an entomologist, they wouldn't be very welcome in my home Wink

Side note, here's a photo of a wild cockroach I took near my home that isn't associated with human dwellings Smile
deanhills
I'd get a local pest control expert in. I'm sure they have excellent ones in Australia as these days pest control is an art. The company would probably be able to advise how to get rid of cockroaches in an environmentally friendly way with the least amount of harm both ways.
Nameless
The kitchen of the house I live in has been in a constant state of filthy mess and cockroach infestation since the day I moved in. (Dropped food + moisture + small dark crevices = cockroach heaven.) Mostly hoards of nauseating little black baby roaches with the occasional startling and disgusting larger brown roach. They haven't technically harmed me, but they're unpleasant to find and it takes a little extra time to ensure all my food is in sealed containers or wrapped very tightly in tied plastic bags ...

If you're only getting a few it shouldn't be hard to get rid of them (this was the case when I lived with my parents in a cleaner house) - cockroach baits in the corners, make sure to keep the floors clean, maybe some kind of pesticide by the doors or wherever they're getting in.
Hello_World
Hmmm... yeah I could get in pest control... but I am a little chemical-a-phobic and would prefer not to unless it is important. But then... an environmental solution would be good.

A woman at the supermarket suggested the old beer in a saucer trick. Anyone had success with that?

At this point/level I can live with them, but I don't know what could be in store. 'Infestation' is not a word I like to hear. Maybe it is better to deal with them at this level than once they are a real problem...

I certainly don't like the idea of agrgation pheremones floating around Sad
GuidanceReader
I find upping the ante in regards to cleanliness often keeps the numbers in control. If you don't have food supply for them, they go elsewhere.
deanhills
Hello_World wrote:
Hmmm... yeah I could get in pest control... but I am a little chemical-a-phobic and would prefer not to unless it is important. But then... an environmental solution would be good.
I think if you would go for a private pest control company they'd have methods of dealing with problems in a way that won't harm you. I don't know how the local Government functions in your area, but here in the UAE I'd stay away from them, as by the smell of things they are using old and dated fumigation that can only be bad for a person. But we also have private companies who use bait and techniques that are geared for not harming humans. I think you should act fast however as those guys can grow quite fast in numbers. I don't think it could be because of bad hygiene or dirt in your house, it could be your neighbour, or it could be the piping or drains that need to be flushed as well.
coolclay
Cockroaches rarely present health issues unless of course those health issues are already present. Many people are disgusted by them because they see them as disease vectors, and signs of uncleanliness. But the reality is that they are as much a disease vector as the bottom of your shoe or any other insect for that matter, they don't necessarily "harbor" disease but can passively transport microbes on there bodies if those microbes are already present.

Like others have stated cockroaches are only present in areas with adequate food and water supplies. So make sure all your food items are in sealed thick containers. They can chew through bags so that doesn't qualify as adequate. Make sure your garbage is sealed, faucets don't drip, and your floor is super clean including cracks, stoves, sinks etc. Once you take care of these issues first and foremost the problem usually takes care of itself. Unless of course your neighbor has issues like Deanhills mentioned.

I would stay away from fumigation companies, not only do they charge a lot of money but the chemicals they use will be present in your home and in your body for a long time. Purchase some diatomaceous earth (aka. fossilized planktonic diatoms) they have microscopic sharp silicon skeletons that can damage most insects exoskeletons and kill them. Sprinkle it in all your cracks and corners, around your toilet, anywhere you think they may be sneaking in. The beer and bowl trick works only for slugs and snails, because most roachs can swim enough to escape, not to mention they are very smart.
coolclay
On the flip side cockroaches are incredible creatures and their ability to survive almost any and all harsh conditions has enabled their species to live for more than 300 million years! I used to have pet Madagascar hissing cockroachs, and they were some of the funnest insects I have ever had for pets. I also raised them for food for my other creatures but they were cool in their own right.

They are the only insect capable of producing sound by forcing air through their spiracles, and the only insect that is ovoviviparous (a type of live birth).

So while its fair enough to not want them in your home, at least respect them enough to educate yourself about the insect that will be alive long after human beings have gone extinct.
standready
Yes, clean the place up. As others have said, seal up ALL food and garbage tightly, fix any water leaks and then put out bait traps.
Stop them now before a serious infestation which would most likely require expensive professional treatment.
menino
I also have a cockroach infestation, and its mainly due to the pipes that go down to the sewer system through my loft in the apartment.
I've used a product called "Combat". Its a small device, that has some checmical in it that attracts the cockroaches. The cockroach gets infected and takes it to the base where it infects all the others as well.
Most days, I'll see at least one cockroach dead in the bathroom, or near the dustbin, or wastebasket, and a few times, at the door of my room, which is next to the loft.
Its not just my loft thats infested, but the entire sewer system, and the landlord is not going to do anythign about it, due to added investments, also that his apartment is invested worse off.
Still, I'm not scared of cockroaches, but I would not want to see a lot of them, and probably infest my food and enviroment as well. Originating from the sewers, I doubt that they will be clean, though.

I have to admit that though they look creepy, they are to be admired for surviving this long for millions of years, in fact.
pauline5765
Hello_World wrote:

They haven't really seemed much of a bother, I usually collect it in a glass and chuck it outside.
Should I be concerned? And if so, what should I do about it?

Do NOT use that glass for other purposes anymore. Either throw it away or only use it again solely for collecting cockroaches.

Cockroaches are one of the dirtiest insects in the world. They bring various diseases into your home and are very harmful to your health, e.g. eating food that has been previously touched by a cockroach w/o you knowing it.

Quote:
Cockroaches are known to carry diseases like dysentery, typhoid and poliomyelitis, as well as gastroenteritis. (source: http://www.planetcockroach.com/cockroach-disease.html)

Although people say that you rarely get a disease from a cockroach.. I think that's because doctors can't diagnose that it's from a cockroach. There can be various sources as well. And there's no specific disease that you can only get from a cockroach.

Of course, you don't want to risk your health so it's best if you disinfect your home every month or so (I use Raid, a roach insecticide). Also, cockroach bites are painful and a hassle. I really hated them for that. I've lived in a home with cockroaches so I know how much they are a pain. Bites last for a week and it gives a thick bulge wherever you're bitten. Imagine when they bit you in your face while you're sleeping and you have that bulge for a week! Sad

Sad Sad
Nameless
Throwing out a glass because it had touched a cockroaches would be rather impractical, given the pests could be and probably are crawling over basically anything in your cupboard when you're not looking. Rinsing anything before you use it should be fine.

And I've never even heard of cockroaches biting before now ...
pauline5765
They do bite, and I never thought other people don't know they bite. Lol.

I don't know. Maybe it depends on the specie of the cockroach but here in my country they bite and can be painful.

I wont use that glass for drinking if it was me though. :/
ankitdatashn
Cockroaches are messy creatures, specially if you woke at midnight and find the kitchen decorated with scores of them then you develop a phobia of using the utensils for eating and drinking, A spray of pesticide every week might just be fine, Wish you a cockroach free new year Smile
ocalhoun
Unless your house is unusually well-sealed, the roaches you toss outside are probably going right back in.

As others said, the best solution is to just do a really thorough cleaning. Remove their food sources, and they'll leave to go look elsewhere for food.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Unless your house is unusually well-sealed, the roaches you toss outside are probably going right back in.

As others said, the best solution is to just do a really thorough cleaning. Remove their food sources, and they'll leave to go look elsewhere for food.
Or feed them with roach bait that will deter them from returning. That really works very well.
drunkenkoz
I've never experienced a cockroach infestation myself but a friend of mine has. He called pest control and they filled his house with some kind of gas.
loremar
We had lots of cockroaches before. Now we have frogs infesting our house which probably explains why we don't see so much of cockroaches anymore. I don't have any problems with frogs except that I really feel sorry every time I accidentally step on them.

Now the problem that really pisses me are the ants. They gathered in electric wirings and switches. Last week, one of our wall sockets short-circuited because of them. It could have burned our house. I just don't understand why they are so much attracted to electricity.
tidruG
loremar wrote:
Now the problem that really pisses me are the ants. They gathered in electric wirings and switches. Last week, one of our wall sockets short-circuited because of them. It could have burned our house. I just don't understand why they are so much attracted to electricity.
Probably attracted to the enclosed spaces behind your sockets where they can store their food, actually. But you might want to do something to get rid of them because they can ruin your sockets (at best) and cause major short-circuits (at worst).
Ankhanu
jimjack wrote:
Cockroaches are the worst skadedyr (pest) in this world, they look very small and harmless but they are very opposite to it. I've heard that they can survive even in a nuclear attack. Best way is to trust a pest control company.

Why are they the "worst", exactly?
They're not much more radiation resistant than anything else of similar size and metabolism, I think you're thinking they're more resilient than they are, based on urban myths.
foumy6
I am pretty sure that they can leave some pretty nasty bites. Other than that I am not sure what harm they can really do, but I know that if it was me I would probably get someone to take care of them.
Ankhanu
foumy6 wrote:
I am pretty sure that they can leave some pretty nasty bites.

Never heard of that one.
Vanilla
Have you tried those little decoys? The cockroaches eat and then they go to their nest, infect the other cockroaches and die. very efficient and you don't need to get your hands dirty. Very Happy

I hate cockroaches. In fact, I'm not afraid of almost everything. Everything but cockroaches. Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the famous big cockroach of Corumbá.

This thing is EATING A FREAKING TURTLE. Oh, and it also bites. And the best part is that they can fly! I don't care if they are very clean insects, these things freak the you know what out of me. Also, the only way to kill one is with a stake through the heart. Too bad I don't know where is the heart of this monster.
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
Have you tried those little decoys? The cockroaches eat and then they go to their nest, infect the other cockroaches and die. very efficient and you don't need to get your hands dirty. Very Happy

I hate cockroaches. In fact, I'm not afraid of almost everything. Everything but cockroaches. Ladies and gentlemen, I now present the famous big cockroach of Corumbá.

This thing is EATING A FREAKING TURTLE. Oh, and it also bites. And the best part is that they can fly! I don't care if they are very clean insects, these things freak the you know what out of me. Also, the only way to kill one is with a stake through the heart. Too bad I don't know where is the heart of this monster.

That's, uh, a giant water bug, not a cockroach.
Cockroaches are in the Order Blattodea, giant water bugs are Order Hemiptera (Family Belostomatidae)... separation of Order is immediately after the Class classification of Insecta. They're different in many ways. It's a little like saying a dog is a cow.

Yes, giant water bugs can bite... and it hurts like hell too Razz
deanhills
Although I don't particularly welcome them into my house, I don't have an enormous fetish about the big cockroaches. It's the little ones that really worry me. When I moved into my present town house there were cockroaches and ants. And bait really worked like an absolute charm. I think the Baygon for ants already did the trick, but the bait sort of sealed it. By the way where are these "cockroaches" (water bugs) hanging out in Brazil? Twisted Evil
loremar
Quote:

And when did bugs start to have eight legs?LOL
Vanilla
Ankhanu wrote:
Cockroaches are in the Order Blattodea, giant water bugs are Order Hemiptera (Family Belostomatidae)... separation of Order is immediately after the Class classification of Insecta. They're different in many ways. It's a little like saying a dog is a cow.

Here in Brazil we call them "big water cockroaches". That's why I've confused it. Very Happy

deanhills wrote:
Although I don't particularly welcome them into my house, I don't have an enormous fetish about the big cockroaches. It's the little ones that really worry me. When I moved into my present town house there were cockroaches and ants. And bait really worked like an absolute charm. I think the Baygon for ants already did the trick, but the bait sort of sealed it. By the way where are these "cockroaches" (water bugs) hanging out in Brazil? Twisted Evil

This is the place. I used to live there, what a hell. Temperatures over 50ºC, mosquitoes, tropical diseases, the whole package. It's a wetland, but it's not inundated all year round. During the dry season we got pretty nasty fires. Oh, and tourists LOVE IT. Because it's full of endangered animals and it got wonderful sights.
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Here in Brazil we call them "big water cockroaches". That's why I've confused it. Very Happy

Yeah, common names for organisms can be misleading and confusing. These guys are actually a group of "true bugs". When an entomologist refers to a "bug", insects in this order are what we're referring to.

Vanilla wrote:
deanhills wrote:
... By the way where are these "cockroaches" (water bugs) hanging out in Brazil? Twisted Evil

This is the place. I used to live there, what a hell. Temperatures over 50ºC, mosquitoes, tropical diseases, the whole package. It's a wetland, but it's not inundated all year round. During the dry season we got pretty nasty fires. Oh, and tourists LOVE IT. Because it's full of endangered animals and it got wonderful sights.

This group is found all over the world; there are probably a couple species near you in wetter places in UAE, Dean. People often have no idea what insects live in their area.
I've introduced many people to the fact that we have giant water bugs here in Nova Scotia during public education programs and the like, showing them captured specimens from the area. They're often repulsed, amazed and fascinated at the same time Smile Big insects really get peoples' attention!
airh3ad
ask the professional pest control i know they can stop that. make sure you always clean your surroundings kitchen comfort room etc.