FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Add "Post to be locked" Type for Post Reporting





rjraaz
As i seen that mostly new user starts posting on old post those have no sense in present time for example at http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-120133.html where OP has advertise his website is a year old post, even that website advertise by the user is inactive.
This is just one example, but there are lots of such posts restarted by new user. Not even that only new users but old users also starts to post on that type of posts.

So, i think that there may implementation new type in "Post Report" may be it called as "Post to be Locked".
deanhills
Great idea! Maybe next to the report button. Cool
Nameless
YES. Do this. Please. Call it "unnecessary bumping" or somesuch.

Or, you know, just auto-lock all threads inactive over three months but would be too easy now wouldn't it.
tidruG
Just report it. If we feel it needs to be closed, some moderator or the other will come along and close it. Simple.
rjraaz
tidruG wrote:
Just report it. If we feel it needs to be closed, some moderator or the other will come along and close it. Simple.


Yes, that is right we can report post but under what type we can report it. As there is no relavent type for that in report section.

Quote:

Type(s)

Spam (A post promoting a website, service or entity - this one is not meant for poor quality posts (strict definition of spam).)
Gibberish (Posting nonsense, like random characters or words behind each other.)
Poor Quality Posts (Posts with a very poor quality or very short and without any real meaning.)
Copy Paste (Copy-pasting posts, text or articles from other websites or users without quotes.)
Language (A post completely not compliant with our spelling rules, like plain '1337' speak, foul language, bypassing the word filter, ...)
Referral Links (A post containing a referral link.)
TOS Violation (Posting links or content related to warez, torrents, serials, hacking, ...)
Flaming (A post trying to 'flame' up the discussion in unwanted/aggressive ways.)
Insulting (A post insulting other users or groups of people. Including racism, sexism, ...)
Adult (An adult post, not suitable to a 13+ audience, like containing nudity or violence.)
Personal Information (A post containing personal information which shouldn't be displayed publicly.)
Accident (A post which was posted by accident or with errors - like a post submitted twice.)


i hope now you can understand what really i want to say.
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
Just report it. If we feel it needs to be closed, some moderator or the other will come along and close it. Simple.
OK got it. The KISS principle.

I'm always worried when I report the pesky spam posts that that is creating double work, but you must have a technique where you go straight to the moderator panel?

I've just found a couple in the General Chat Forum. There's one in particular who is VERY creative and entertaining. Grabs the attention with some GREAT art work and usually a really good story. Always their first post, and apparently they have a different account with a different IP number for each post. These spam guys are really great at this. I'd LOVE to know how this guy does it. As if one knows, one could probably eradicate them better, or even put a preventive measure into place. Very Happy
SonLight
deanhills wrote:

I'm always worried when I report the pesky spam posts that that is creating double work, but you must have a technique where you go straight to the moderator panel?



From what I understand, the first moderator to see the report normally deals with it, and the moderators have encouraged us to feel free to report anything we think should be dealt with. I assume one of them will send us a PM if we frequently report posts they consider ok, but it apparently doesn't take much extra work on their part to deal with it.

I do try to document what I feel is or might be wrong with a post, because some of them are close calls and the moderators might want to do research or make a group decision in some cases. I still feel a little uncomfortable with the categories though; sometimes I wish there was an 'other' or 'maybe' and perhaps even a lower priority for one that might reasonably be either left or removed.
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
Or, you know, just auto-lock all threads inactive over three months but would be too easy now wouldn't it.

Easy and entirely foolish.
A thread being old does not automatically make it no longer valid for discussion. For example, I'll be bumping a thread I started in the summer in the next few days, as I realized that I never piped in with my thoughts on the subject, having gotten somewhat busy. Just because the thread is old does not mean there isn't room for more content/discussion.

We've also had several threads bumped in the science forums that, with a fresher user base, received a fair bit of activity following someone digging them up. Same in Philosophy & Religion.

The problem is pointless bumping for no real addition of content. It's not a problem of the system, but the contributors. Whether they're bumping an old thread or posting in a new one, the result is going to be the same useless bullshit. Locking old threads will not help.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Nameless wrote:
Or, you know, just auto-lock all threads inactive over three months but would be too easy now wouldn't it.

A thread being old does not automatically make it no longer valid for discussion.
I totally agree. In fact it could be quite fun to check through some of those old threads and resuscitate them. Every now and then when I'm doing some research I bump into them, there were some really GREAT discussions in 2006-2008 in particular that may be well worth bumping.
Nameless
I dare you to tell me that PMing a moderator to unlock an old, interesting thread for further discussion would occur anywhere near as often reporting an accidentally or pointlessly bumped thread now does. Even when a thread is bumped with legitimate discussion you're still going to have the same problems of old posts being mistaken for new, being unable to continue conversations with posters who are no longer here, even those who ARE still here will be hard pressed to remember their chains of thought and might have even changed their opinions since ... Just like IRL, starting a new conversation on the same subject is far easier than trying to pick up the exact same exchanges when you're sitting with a different group of people four years later. It's not like you can't just quote or link to the old thread for reference if necessary.
deanhills
Good point. I sometimes wonder how some of the old threads got to be bumped though. Particularly in long threads. Means that in certain instances it has to have been a conscious effort to look up topics that have been posted before. Perhaps the person thought that was the right thing to do, since people are asked to check before they start topics so that there aren't double topics.
Asap170
But the thing is I believe Frihost is becoming scarce on Administrative people(Mods,Account Creators, etc) so there will probably be a lot of requests for a topic to be locked so in conclusion there basically be a flood of requests.

If anyone worked with an IT department and had some form of a "Help Desk" application they know exactly what I am talking about.
ocalhoun
Hm....

What if the OP of each topic was given the ability to lock the topic?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm....

What if the OP of each topic was given the ability to lock the topic?
AWESOME idea! Particularly in the blogs.
rjraaz
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm....

What if the OP of each topic was given the ability to lock the topic?


Great Idea! But how much OPs will aware to use that feature, i think only 10%.
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm....

What if the OP of each topic was given the ability to lock the topic?


Great Idea! But how much OPs will aware to use that feature, i think only 10%.
They'd be the 10% who count ... Twisted Evil
tidruG
rjraaz wrote:
Yes, that is right we can report post but under what type we can report it. As there is no relavent type for that in report section.
Ah, I see your point. For old threads which are no longer relevant, you can just put "Spam" as the category. In the description, write the reason you want the thread to be closed.

deanhills wrote:
I'm always worried when I report the pesky spam posts that that is creating double work,
Go ahead and report it; it doesn't really create "double work".

Quote:
but you must have a technique where you go straight to the moderator panel?
Yes, a very non-flashy, boring reports system that all mods can access.

SonLight wrote:
From what I understand, the first moderator to see the report normally deals with it, and the moderators have encouraged us to feel free to report anything we think should be dealt with.
Precisely.

Quote:
I still feel a little uncomfortable with the categories though; sometimes I wish there was an 'other' or 'maybe' and perhaps even a lower priority for one that might reasonably be either left or removed.
Don't get too hung-up about the categories. Just try to slot it into the best-fit. Just make sure your description captures the problem properly.

Ankhanu wrote:
The problem is pointless bumping for no real addition of content. It's not a problem of the system, but the contributors. Whether they're bumping an old thread or posting in a new one, the result is going to be the same useless bullshit. Locking old threads will not help.
Precisement. We don't encourage needless bumpbing of old threads which offers little to no additional value to the discussion, but sometimes it's ok to bump old threads with new information.

Nameless wrote:
I dare you to tell me that PMing a moderator to unlock an old, interesting thread for further discussion would occur anywhere near as often reporting an accidentally or pointlessly bumped thread now does.
There are multiple issues with auto-locking threads. The first problem is ... how do you decide the length of time after which a thread gets locked? And anyway, in most cases, it's completely not required. I'd much rather prefer to lock old threads needlessly bumped up rather than have a moderator unlock old threads. The simplest thing is that while a thread is unlocked, if someone wants to post to it, they can go ahead and do so. If a thread is locked and someone wants to respond, they have to wait until it gets unlocked. In a lot of cases, people will not bother to wait to get it unlocked. So, IMO, auto-locking is not worth it.

Asap170 wrote:
But the thing is I believe Frihost is becoming scarce on Administrative people(Mods,Account Creators, etc) so there will probably be a lot of requests for a topic to be locked so in conclusion there basically be a flood of requests.
Locking a thread takes 10 seconds (or less depending on how efficient you are and how fast your internet connection is).

ocalhoun wrote:
What if the OP of each topic was given the ability to lock the topic?
Then we will have situations in which OPs arbitrarily whenever they feel like the discussion's going OT or whatever. Going OT or opining whether a thread has lived its useful life is a subjective opinion. Therefore, only staff can lock threads because they're supposed to have better judgement and because they have the other staff members from whom to take a second opinion.

deanhills wrote:
AWESOME idea! Particularly in the blogs.
I think I'd agree that having the choice to lock comments in blogs might be worth considering.
Related topics
better hosting system
NNTP-News Server in 5 minutes
prefer you comercial or underground?
Warning, you chasis has been opened!!
Upload Script (Read the 3rd post)
Windows Xp Network Problem.
Formatting a particular partition
Visual Basic Tutorial - Control Arrays: What, Why and How
Movable Type
LoGo Contest!!!! ~~200FRIH$~~
Join Online Classes - 5 Frih$ to Join!
Preservation of Self Made Movie
file.tar.gz and file.gz
Specify databse type
Can comics/cartoons change the world?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.