FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How ISP's limit speed and data usage

rjraaz
Hi Guys,

Is anybody have idea about that, How Internet Service Provider can limit speed and data usage after the certain limitation according to their plan we have subscribed for.

Are they controll that using any Software or Hardware or combination of both.
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
Hi Guys,

Is anybody have idea about that, How Internet Service Provider can limit speed and data usage after the certain limitation according to their plan we have subscribed for.

Are they controll that using any Software or Hardware or combination of both.
Great question rjraaz. I'd like to know as well.
hunnyhiteshseth
It is a combination of both. Typically when you connect to an ISP before routing your traffic to main servers, your ISP logs amount of traffic going towards you and from you. Based on your usage plan the router decides on speed to provide to your router/modem.

For limiting a particular type of traffic, say FTP, ISP might use an ACL (Access Control List) which might block or limit certain ports. In this case port used by FTP might be blocked.
deanhills
Nice to see you back hunnyhiteshseth. With quality posts as per usual .... Very Happy I've just heard something has happened to some of the underwater communications cables that connect the UAE internationally, whatever that means, and that that may affect our internet speed. I used the http://www.speedtest.net/, and two days ago recorded 7 Mb/s whereas it should have been 8. I did the test as I noticed a slow down in the downloading of the YouTube videos. And then about 12 hours later there must have been a huge adjustment as it went up to 37 Mb/s. According to my contract it's supposed to be 8 Mb/s. I've just noticed it has gone down to 7.37 MB/s again. Guess the system must be unstable presently.

Edit: Weird - this is the result a little more than two hours later:

Edit: One and a half hour later huge fluctuation again yet speed feels exactly the same .... weird!

Edit - next day: 14 hours later - first time speed looks right, however downloading and uploading are exactly the same speed as before - not slower or faster ...

hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
Nice to see you back hunnyhiteshseth.

Yeah man, I was quite caught up with few things in my life so could not post here. Thanks for remembering me, I thought by now I would have been forgotten here. :p

Yeah, that cable cut even had an effect here. Looks like that was one of the major cable.
k_s_baskar
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Yeah man, I was quite caught up with few things in my life so could not post here. Thanks for remembering me, I thought by now I would have been forgotten here. :p

Yeah, that cable cut even had an effect here. Looks like that was one of the major cable.

How could we forget you? Nice to meet you here after long time. Smile
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
deanhills wrote:

You should ask Bondings if he could reset your points to zero. There have been quite a number of posters returning recently and he has been wonderful to welcome them with a reset. All you need to do is ask. Very Happy
speeDemon
deanhills wrote:

Edit: Weird - this is the result a little more than two hours later:

Hehe !!! Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth
deanhills wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
deanhills wrote:

You should ask Bondings if he could reset your points to zero. There have been quite a number of posters returning recently and he has been wonderful to welcome them with a reset. All you need to do is ask. Very Happy

Thanks for the information. I know that. I still haven't requested because I am not sure how active I would be in my second comeback. I beleive I can make up for these negative points just by posting. In case I am unsuccessful, then I may choose to ask Bondings. Thanks for advice though. Really appreciate your concern.
Ryox
This is at the library, where I am currently at.

P.S. I will add mine when I get home. Smile
drunkenkoz
This is the current speed of my network.

My internet usually bounces around though. It can be up to 27 mb one day and the next be down to like 10-15.