FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minimize dust Tech

dwl1
Anybody knows any simple tech or household design that would minimize dust from entering homes?
I mean, other then the standard "air filters", which I doubt will really work if your room is continuously exposed to the outside environment.
deanhills
Insulate your house properly. Make sure all the little crevices and gaps are taped. Starting with the front door, fan housings, etc. etc. Then have the windows open as little as possible and use air conditioning most of the time. Not ideal, but dust is really bad for a person health wise.
ocalhoun
Very simple.

Positive pressure.

Have only one air intake to the house, filter that, and have that intake always being forced in by a powerful fan.
All the remaining cracks and crevices in the house will then always be blowing air out, so they can't carry anything in.

--A solution copied from anti-chem/bio-weapons techniques. Very effective and much cheaper and easier than trying to hermetically seal your entire house.

Of course, that won't stop dust from sources inside the house though.
And unless you use a very powerful fan, it won't work if you leave doors or windows open very long.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Have only one air intake to the house, filter that, and have that intake always being forced in by a powerful fan.
All the remaining cracks and crevices in the house will then always be blowing air out, so they can't carry anything in.

--A solution copied from anti-chem/bio-weapons techniques. Very effective and much cheaper and easier than trying to hermetically seal your entire house.
Sounds very healthy as well. Wish I could do it here at my place in the Middle East. There are no real fans, only two mickey mouse ones in the kitchen and bathroom. Although must say, sometimes the air outside is worse than inside as people like to burn wood/garbage here. It is sometimes dense with woodsmoke outside.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Wish I could do it here at my place in the Middle East.

You can.

1: Buy a fan of sufficient airflow volume.
2: Buy a filter that will filter out the stuff you don't want, and of a size that works well with your newly acquired fan and/or one of your windows. (For more restrictive filters, you may also need to take airflow capacity into account.)
3: Open a window, and install the fan and filter in it, blowing inwards, using ductwork if necessary to match up the sizes and shapes of the window, filter, and fan.
deanhills
Thanks for the tip Ocalhoun. Will try it out ... Very Happy
rotoruaboy
humidifiers can help, although they cannot eliminate dust, they can reduce it to a certain level. by bounding dust particles with water vapor and letting gravity pull them to the floor, you can experience significant change in air quality. But I have to agree with ocalhoun, its a one stop shop with positive pressure systems.