FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android Operating System

PoojaDahiya
Hey friends, i m using Android OS in my mobile phone for a while and i want to share my experience with you. Android OS is enough powerful and you can do multitasking with any difficulties. As there is Android App store which offers thousands of interesting apps, some of them are free or some of them are paid.
splintercdo
Sun is shiny and clouds are white, all your base are belong to us Razz

congrats on first post, welcome to frihost Angel
foumy6
I love android i replace my ipod touch with an android phone because I was sick of how crappy apple is.
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
I love android i replace my ipod touch with an android phone because I was sick of how crappy apple is.
I'm not very up to date with latest phones and still can't figure out what the difference is between the two. Is the difference in the touch screen? I.e. android works with buttons on the phone, whereas ipod is activated by touch through a touch screen? Question

PS: I'm the local scandal at work. Everyone has a BlackBerry or iPhone. I've got an old Nokia 1100 with no plans to change - same battery since 2004 with battery life of a week before it needs recharging.

Wow! Can't believe it, just discovered this article on my Nokia1100 - AND - I bought three of them over a year because I liked them so much - one for regular local use, one for Oman and one for overseas:
Quote:
For some crazed and whacked up reason to which we are currently oblivious, but statistics are pointing towards something, is the sudden surge in hacker interest in the Nokia 1100 phones. The Nokia 100 was an entry level handset released back in 2003, and was for a basic phone for the low-end of the market. But the phone was a hit, and, along with its successor, it sold over 200 million units. But as technology caught on, this simple gadget was discontinued and forgotten. Or so everyone thought. Just a few months ago, the price of the Nokia 1100 phones produced in Bochum – Germany, started to go up rapidly and not without arousing suspicion, from about €500 a few months back to nearly €20,000 now. All this for a cell phone that was originally sold for under €100 in its glory days. Investigators are actually thinking along the lines that the simple device may give unscrupulous individuals the opportunity to commit banking frauds.

According to PC World, Nokia has no idea that the price of its obsolete handset has gone so high or what the reason behind it may be. In an email statement, Nokia says they, “…have not identified any phone software problem that would allow alleged use cases”. Now Nokia testers and security analysts are in a race to find out what’s up with the Bochum-made Nokia 1100. Makes you wonder why a mobile phone which is currently only good enough to double as a flashlight is selling for €20,000.

Source: http://www.freshphonenews.com/hackers-are-flocking-to-nokia-1100-nokia-has-no-idea-wy-4002/
foumy6
well dean the difference is really with the function and apps they function the same touch screen wise, but the androids is wayyy more durable (well at least it has been for me) also there is more freedom in apps because for ipod you need to jailbreak it to get 3rd party apps and such, but you don't need it for android because you just just hit the little checkbox that enables 3rd party apps. And the biggest thing for me is android has flash!
splintercdo
Quote:
And the biggest thing for me is android has flash!

I have bad news for you, flash is dying, Adobe announced that they can't keep up with the demands of mobile devices, so they are discontinuing flash support for future mobiles, older devices will still be able to use flash Wink

http://www.technobuffalo.com/mobile-devices/adobe-announces-the-end-of-flash-player-for-mobile-devices/
deanhills
Thanks splintercdo. Now I'm even happier with my old Nokia. Very Happy
TenshiMaster
Android is great... Smile
I have a good phone soon
vikaskumar11233
Hi PoojaDahiya

Thanks for sharing your experience with us well you are right android operating system is very strong OS it give you more reliable application and can perform many work here without any problem. This OS support many application.
mazito
Android is a good one, as a fomer user of PALM, then BB, now with my second justa a GALAXY SII, is a powerful tool for my job and for my life.

as i live in Mexico, the WWW is an $ isue if you dont have a INTERNET plan, but with one not to expensive plan is a pretty good one.

i edit a lot of info in the phone, use google docs, see news etc.

but one of the best apps that i have is evernote, in phone, PC at work and at home, i can keep all my notes in one actual version.

i use apps to help me at school to check assit ogf my students, behaivor.

good games to kill time.

and a lot of amzaing tools to every day, and cheap, when i use BB was a pain and ther $$$ a lot.
weableandbob
I love my Android phone. It can do everything I need, and some things that are just cool. All the downsides to it are due to the cheapness of my phone, not the OS. Plus, it's easier to develop on than iOS, at least in terms of code and getting it on the marketplace (Java vs. Objective C)
flamepjlh
PoojaDahiya wrote:
Hey friends, i m using Android OS in my mobile phone for a while and i want to share my experience with you. Android OS is enough powerful and you can do multitasking with any difficulties. As there is Android App store which offers thousands of interesting apps, some of them are free or some of them are paid.

It's a kind of confusing some time.                                  

What is the difference between the third party market and the official one?
foumy6
flamepjlh wrote:
PoojaDahiya wrote:

It's a kind of confusing some time.                                  

What is the difference between the third party market and the official one?

official apps are made by app development companies, and pass all the rules for the android market where as the third party dont do either of those as far as I know.
iyepes
I had a brief experience with Android, and it was really bad. Due to a kernel bug on an cheap tablet, I lost three months asking support to its manufacturer in China.

I suppose as an user people enjoy it, but due to fragmentation (lots of manufacturers, versions, screen sizes) it could become into a coder nightmare.
deanhills
iyepes wrote:
I had a brief experience with Android, and it was really bad. Due to a kernel bug on an cheap tablet, I lost three months asking support to its manufacturer in China.

I suppose as an user people enjoy it, but due to fragmentation (lots of manufacturers, versions, screen sizes) it could become into a coder nightmare.
What make of tablet was it? Question
chatrack
what programming language can be used for making apps to use along with Android OS.
cybersa
chatrack wrote:
what programming language can be used for making apps to use along with Android OS.

Applications for android is made up of Java Programing Language.
But It has some difference.
Syntax are same as of Java language.
playfungames
If you ask me, android is great, way better than iOS. I enjoyed it when I had an android phone, but I used to too much that my phone broke. Cannot wait until I am able to buy a new android handset. Till then I have to use this tupid motorola flip phone.
welshsteve
Android is a great system, it's just a shame that Apple seem intent on bringing down all the major Android players in an attempt to not dominate the market, but monopolise it. I for one hope they fail.
nircalon
I just shifted from an iPhone to an Android device and so far i am loving it. The level of customization in android has no match with the ios.
siemens13
PoojaDahiya wrote:

I also agree with you and also appreciate you. because i am using Android in my mobile phone.
riteshk1
Great ! my experience is also good with android applications keep using Very Happy
miteY
Android rocks! I was with Blackberry for a while, but with poor battery, expensive apps and closed source OS, I got fed up.

Android is the OS for mobile, just like Windows was the OS for PCs.
sysna
Android is just a really amazing OS but it needs iOS strategy ! iOS is made only for apple devices this means customers will be happy for many years for getting latest iOS installed on their old devices, so support of iOS is just great.

Now lets look at Android we have many brands that barely even updated their phones to android 4 from 2.3 ! we have many phones that are now completely hardware wise capable of running android 4.2 for example my old HTC EVO 3D is a 1.2Ghz dual core with 1GB of ram and should be able to run android 4.2 or 4.3 and even 5 without any problem but it will never get that versions officially ! because htc doesn't want to waste money on update phones that are more than 1 years old.

I think if android wants to win the game it has to do something about update being something completely different from brand, i mean look at windows , do you have to depend on asus to update it for you ? of course you don't ! this should happen to android too which i really love to see in next release.
codersfriend
You can also boot the android OS on your PC. There is an x86 version that can be booted or installed
http://www.android-x86.org/. I just tried in on virtual box and also booting. Just download the one compatible with your computer
Nyasro
Android is best in all Smile Laughing
codegeek
chatrack wrote:

I have just started learning Android app development. It's quite fun actually. You just need a little bit of Java and XML basics.

Just download the ADT (Android Developer Tools) for your OS. It's an Eclipse plugin. You can download the whole bundle from here.

Install everything, get the emulator working, and make sure it's all ready. Then, just start following the tutorial from the site, or use some video tutorials. As for the emulator, you can use your own device to test the program at each phase. However, that may be cumbersome. Plus, you may need to test it out for various screen sizes.

I use BlueStacks. It's pretty great. You can use the emulator that comes with the bundle, or create your own using custom specifications. I found it to be a bit slower than bluestacks.

In any case, it's really fun and not that difficult once you get the hang of it. I still have a long way to go before I can create professional level apps, but so far, I have enjoyed it very much. I would encourage you to try it out. Happy coding!