FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Home network

yagnyavalkya
I have two PCs and a media player with Wifi
I have a wireless modem and both the PC are connected to the net one on wired LAN and the other on wireless and the media player is also connected wireless
I have to make a home network so that files can be shared
I need step by step instructions
rjraaz
there is lack of information provided by you.

Please mention operating system and media player manufacturer and model.
yagnyavalkya
rjraaz wrote:
there is lack of information provided by you.

Please mention operating system and media player manufacturer and model.

OS in both the PCs are Windows 7 64 bit and the media player is ASUS O!Play Air HDP-R3
http://www.asus.com/News/GllxZZwzbIGTAm8l/
k_s_baskar
just go to
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\HomeGroup

and click "Create Home group"
rjraaz
@yagnyavalkya

It seems that you did not search Asus official website for this. They have provided well explained solution for it in their trobleshooting section.

for your convenience here are the links for that solutions.

For Local Area Network :
Here they provide the setp by step setup details for Local area network and for sharing in windows 7 32/64 bit.

For Wireless Network : And at here they gives the detailed setups for Wireless network and sharing files in windows 7 32/64 bit.

I hope this information will help you, and if you already tried those solution and did not get succes please update here for it.
yagnyavalkya
rjraaz wrote:
@yagnyavalkya

It seems that you did not search Asus official website for this. They have provided well explained solution for it in their trobleshooting section.

For Local Area Network :
Here they provide the setp by step setup details for Local area network and for sharing in windows 7 32/64 bit.

For Wireless Network : And at here they gives the detailed setups for Wireless network and sharing files in windows 7 32/64 bit.

I hope this information will help you, and if you already tried those solution and did not get succes please update here for it.

I have got the Asus to connect to the internet from my router ( the router is connected by a LAN cable to the PC) now I need to get share files from my PC to the player I see that I can connect only to one network either the internet or the local network.
rjraaz
yagnyavalkya wrote:
rjraaz wrote:
@yagnyavalkya

For Local Area Network :

I have got the Asus to connect to the internet from my router ( the router is connected by a LAN cable to the PC) now I need to get share files from my PC to the player I see that I can connect only to one network either the internet or the local network.

Can you explain your arrangement by the help of rough diagram and post screenshot of your window, and have you enable file sharing in your PC Windows 7 requires authentication.

And one more think is your PC WiFi equiped.
jdelfire
remember there are more than 1 file sharing options you need to check in windows 7

- Password protected sharing (your media player might have a default password - refer to the manual)
- Filesharing connections
- media streaming
- public folder sharing
- file and printer sharing
- network discovery

If its PC to PC only just check these things in network and sharing center you should be good.
Well good luck. You will learn a lot from our fellow frihosters
yagnyavalkya
rjraaz wrote:
@yagnyavalkya

For Local Area Network :

Thanks for your links
I solved the problem
I have the home network now but the problem again was in the media player when I opened the network and tried to access the PCs I got a user name password dialogue and like the previous post I had to work around with Windows 7 file sharing options and saw a lot of forums discussions on this topic http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110302093513726&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&SLanguage=en-us&page=1 and http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100410084452546&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&page=1&SLanguage=en-us which were helful
mukesh
yagnyavalkya wrote:
I have a wireless modem and both the PC are connected to the net one on wired LAN and the other on wireless and the media player is also connected wireless

Home Group only available in windows 7 i think?
Only two win7 can create Home Group.
rjraaz
mukesh wrote:
yagnyavalkya wrote:

Home Group only available in windows 7 i think?
Only two win7 can create Home Group.

No Mukesh that is not true you can also create Home Group with other versions of Windows or device, but they should have same Group name.

For example in windows 7, Home Group is named as "WORKGROUP", while in windows xp, Home Group is named as "MSHOME"

So, you need to change the xp home group to similar of windows 7.

In support of my explanation, i suggest you to read http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows
yagnyavalkya
Home group can be created in other Windows versions
pll
You will need to transfer your WI-FI connection into a Storage device (or something like that) so that you can put all the files you want in it and get it back from the other computer. There's enough software to do it well.