FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

For those looking for a bit more speed from Windows 7

brandon02852
Here are some quick tips to make Windows 7 a bit jumpier. Make a system restore point before attempting.

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off

You can disable things that can potentially slow down internet speeds like "Remote Differential Compression" and disable performance hogs like the "Windows Gadget Platform".

You can also go to "Run" and type in "services.msc". Sort the services by if they are started or not (so you see all the started ones). Some unnecessary services that run in the background (eating up RAM and CPU threads) are...

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    CNG Key Isolation
    Computer Browser
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
    Diagnostic Policy Service
    Diagnostic Service Host
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication
    HomeGroup Listener
    HomeGroup Provider
    IP Helper
    IPsec Policy Agent
    Offline Files
    Peer Name Resolution Protocol
    Peer Networking Grouping
    Peer Networking Identity Manager
    Print Spooler
    Program Compatibility Assistant Service
    Protected Storage
    Security Center
    Server
    Shell Hardware Detection
    Software Protection
    SPP Notification Service
    SSDP Discovery
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Themes
    UPnP Device Host
    Windows Time
    Workstation

I hope this helps as I have been tweaking Windows 7 for a while. Expect more from me in the future.
badai
i wouldn't turn off anything if i don't know what it is.
deanhills
badai wrote:
i wouldn't turn off anything if i don't know what it is.
Agreed. Unless I knew exactly what I was doing.
Asap170
I was checking up on these and reading the descriptions of some of these services I decided not to turn any off because a lot of them I need to have running and don't want to risk anything.

Also, Dean I thought you didn't have a Windows 7 computer >.<
Hexes
It is a better idea to use optimizers like ashampoo winoptimizer or ace utilities etc. You have description of all operations and it is easy to cancel changes. It won't make your computer uber fast but could improve some aspects - easier uninstaller, registry cleaner, startup manager.
ankur209
Why should i turn all these services ? They are meant to be something useful and might be useful for running processes.

It is better to use Third party tools like Tune up utilities or Ccleaner to optimize and gain speed for your system.
Fire Boar
ankur209 wrote:
Why should i turn all these services ? They are meant to be something useful and might be useful for running processes.

It is better to use Third party tools like Tune up utilities or Ccleaner to optimize and gain speed for your system.

Not necessarily. For example, there might be a service for bluetooth, which is completely useless if you don't have a bluetooth device in your computer (and mostly useless if you do - bluetooth kinda sucks).
Possum
Turing Services off is a good idea. But you really need to know what you are doing. RESEARCH
FunDa
ankur209 wrote:

If its your computer and you know how to reinstall it and repair it, this is a good way to learn what these services actually do..

If your computer is quite old, turning off all the useless services(some services are useful, but we don't actually use everything) is a GOOD way to learn how to make your system super fast.
PeteWalker74
This is all depending on what kind of hardware you have, IMHO. If you have a screaming fast PC as I do, the amount of memory and CPU time these services take up is probably negligible, versus the potential problems you open yourself up to by disabling them if you aren't 100% sure on what you are doing? Eh.
miteY
@brandon02852
Since you've been doing these tweaks for a while, you probably know the functions of these services.

Why not list the functions for us or point a reliable source where we can get information about the services we are about to turn off.

Thanks,
menino
I used to stop a lot of these services to run some games or applications on my laptop which had windows 7 installed, but not lately, after reinstalling windows 7, and everything runs smoothly.
I guess it was a matter of getting the right drivers for the different compnents and cpu as well.

A lot of those services are required, like print spooler, if you print, even rarely, otherwise you will face problems and probably blame it on the printer.

The cng key isolation service doesnt really stop and is dependent on other services, mainly wireless network.

The other services, such as home group listerner and server are for file charing mainly.

What about Windows 7 starter edition for newbies? Won't this edition be faster for most laptops?

Most of these services are required at some point of time or the other, and I've seen that the main memory / resource hoggers are the anti-viruses that you have to install after getting the system.
jdelfire
For those of you who would like to know more about services

One name immediately popped in my head "blackviper"

He explains the pros and cons of each services.

I just remember his name when I saw this thread

That's how impressed I am and it's been like 3yrs now since I came across his site

and his website has changed a lot. If you would to more know and talk about services.

Go to his site http://www.blackviper.com/

He is using wordpress now. ^_^