FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The 2nd (Unofficial) Creative Short Writing Comp.

Nameless
It's back! Are you ready to stretch (but not too badly) your creative muscles for internet-fame, internet-fortune and real-actual-fun? This time around there's a more relaxed word cap, a longer competition duration to wrangle in busy posters, and over twice the much sought after 'Coin' prizes to be won. Turn your free holiday time into awesome by picking up a pen, erm, keyboard and letting your mind wander.

Oh, and the topic? Here's a thinker for you ... "the other side of forever".

~ Details ~
* To enter, post your original piece of creative writing in this thread.
* All entries must keep to within two thousand words and at some point include the topic phrase.
* You may write in any form - narrative, poetic, even a radio transcript.
* Each poster is limited to two entries each. You may modify your entries at any time before the closing date.
* Entries close three weeks from the time of this post.

~ Prizes ~
* The Judge's Choice will be decided by myself and based on overall enjoyment.
* The People's Choice will be decided by a public vote lasting seven days after entries close.
* The two awards will be announced together and 100 Coins each distributed.
* If one poster wins both awards, they will receive 200 Coins total.

~ Bonus Round ~
The first poster to buzz in with an acronym that beats "UCSWC" by at least fifty figurative points will win an instant 25 Coins!
loremar
What's the other side of forever means?
Nameless
loremar wrote:
What's the other side of forever means?

One possible use of the phrase could be a person reaching and passing a moment in their life that had always felt too far in the distance to worry about. Another could be somebody reacting to the loss of something they had assumed would last forever. Or any interpretation that inspires you; it's intentionally ambiguous.
tidruG
Awesome! I'm game. Look for an entry from me.

Some questions--

1. Are you encouraging people to post their entries in the form of replies? The posts could become really long.
  2. There could be favouritism in the People's Choice award.

Heh, I remember running the very first writing competition on Frihost ... althought, admittedly, it was a very topical one. We had asked people to re-write the ending of Harry Potter. Got some interesting entries.
Nameless
1. Yes. Long posts here shouldn't really matter since (theoretically) most of the comments or discussion would take place in the separate voting thread afterwards. Uploading an entry elsewhere would still be fine if a link was posted here.
2. That's not a question. I ... honestly don't think Frihost has that kind of 'culture' though.
deanhills
What/when was the first unofficial contest? I've been digging around and could not find it.

Do you think it would help if you ask that your thread be made into a featured thread so that it could get more exposure.

I'm not really that good with creative writing, but there are a number of people that I've noticed who could be good candidates - one could possibly check the blogs and invite them personally? Just to ensure that sufficient entries are generated in comparison with your earlier valiant attempt. Would it perhaps help to send an invitation/challenge to a small selection of people personally? I'm thinking of the following possibilities - from the top of my head randomly (but I've arranged it alphabetically) - I'm sure there must be many more people that could be added (or subtracted Twisted Evil) to this list.

Afaceinthematrix
Amagard
Ankhanu
Asap
Bikerman
Blaster
Bluedoll
Bondings
Chasbeen
Coolclay
D'Artagnan
dan751 (he's got a real major event to write about)
Da Rossa
Dementei
Dennise
Foumy6
Ghost Rider103
handfleisch
Hello_World
Indi
iyepes
James007
jmi256
jmlworld
Josso
liljp617
jwellsy
LittleBlackKitten
Loremar
mathiaus (to get him to join for a session - love to see his writing again)
Menino
missdixie
Navigator
Ocalhoun
paul_indo
Peterssidan
Professor
quex
rjraaz
Saratdear
SonLight
speeDemon
Standready
tidruG
tingkagol
Tommyfromneverland
Truespeed
TurtleShell
Vanilla
Watersoul
Ankhanu
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dean. I am considering entering this one. I should be 100% done with my thesis work on the weekend, so will have time to put towards creative efforts without feeling guilty that I should be doing something more important Wink
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
Asap

Dean, is that meant to be me cause if it is I am quite honored and I am actually interested in doing this competition.

Can the topic of what we right be about anything?
Ankhanu
Asap170 wrote:

Nope:
Nameless wrote:
Asap170
Ankhanu wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

Nope:
Nameless wrote:

What is "The other side of forever" actually mean because I am not having such a lovely time trying to decrypt that.
loremar
Asap170 wrote:
What is "The other side of forever" actually mean because I am not having such a lovely time trying to decrypt that.

Nameless wrote:
One possible use of the phrase could be a person reaching and passing a moment in their life that had always felt too far in the distance to worry about. Another could be somebody reacting to the loss of something they had assumed would last forever. Or any interpretation that inspires you; it's intentionally ambiguous.
Ankhanu
Basically, I think part of the creative exercise is interpreting what the other side of forever is... Let your creativity flow.
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Asap

Dean, is that meant to be me cause if it is I am quite honored and I am actually interested in doing this competition.

I think so, but if you have any doubts, why not PM Nameless to confirm the title.

Asap170 wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

Nope:
Nameless wrote:

Me too. How I understand it is that we have hopes, dreams and aspirations about many things and sometimes don't do anything about them, or we do something about them, but when it gets past the point of realizing them, we can look back philosophically about the things that led to the point that passed. Like marriage is supposed to be forever, and maybe someone could do a creative essay about the meaning of "forever" after they got divorced. Or someone had had a relationship with a girl friend for a long time, planned to get married, and now they are married thinking back to all the moments that led up to married, the hopes and expectations and how it turned out to be a completely different relationship from what they had had before. Or someone's friend, father or mother died, realizing that maybe they had taken them for granted. Or someone had studied for medicine and when they started to practice realized they had a different calling for being a Priest .... he he ....

I also wonder whether we could apply this to technology. For example there may be a time when computers may become obsolete, maybe we could look into the future, grab that moment in the future without computers and look back at technology today. Almost like science fiction.

If you have an idea for a topic, why not PM Nameless and he could confirm that you're on the right track. Smile
mathiaus
deanhills wrote:
What/when was the first unofficial contest? I've been digging around and could not find it.

Perhaps there is confusion as the first official writing contest was not part of Frihost's (not so much now) new competitions format, and actually took place outside of Frihost's official site. It was however officially authorised by Bondings and ran by Tidrug.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-79457.html#667109

Or maybe I missed the first un-official writing contest as well?

Well count me in. Not too sure what I can write about at the moment but am sure I can come up with something worthy of reading. Smile
Nameless
FYI, if you search for "unofficial creative writing", this topic and my original competition are literally the only results that show up. All three of the competition topics are even showing up in the Similar Topics box for this page ...
mathiaus
Nameless wrote:
FYI, if you search for "unofficial creative writing", this topic and my original competition are literally the only results that show up. All three of the competition topics are even showing up in the Similar Topics box for this page ...

Excellent point! I was just testing you... d'oh!
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
I completely forgot about that competition .... thanks for the heads up .... d'oh!
Asap170
Well it's official or shall I say "unofficial" that I am doing this writing competition! I actually started to work on it and am very excited! You all are in for a mind boggling treat.
Asap170
When is the closing date for this?