FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Santaclaus is from ... ?

suitza
Christmas is near and SantaClaus doesn't remember where is his home country.
Please people tell SantaClaus where he's home is. Smile
deanhills
He was given Canadian citizenship in 2008, so I guess that makes him Canadian .... ho ho Laughing
Quote:
In North American tradition (in the United States and Canada), Santa lives on the North Pole, which according to Canada Post lies within Canadian jurisdiction in postal code H0H 0H0 (a reference to "ho ho ho", Santa's notable saying, although postal codes starting with H are usually reserved for the island of Montreal in Québec). On December 23, 2008, Jason Kenney, Canada's minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, formally awarded Canadian citizenship status to Santa Claus. "The Government of Canada wishes Santa the very best in his Christmas Eve duties and wants to let him know that, as a Canadian citizen, he has the automatic right to re-enter Canada once his trip around the world is complete," Kenney said in an official statement.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
suitza
Hehe Very Happy Go santa! Very Happy
kta_fh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas#Sinterklaas.2C_Santa_Claus.2C_and_Christmas

I'm from Finland but Santa is not Wink We have "joulupukki".
deanhills
kta_fh wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas#Sinterklaas.2C_Santa_Claus.2C_and_Christmas

What is joulupukki .... sounds much more fun .... Laughing
Peterssidan
kta_fh wrote:
Do you consider Joulupukki to be the same person as Santa Claus?

In Sweden we have Jultomten. Santa Claus and Jultomten is often seen as the same person but there is some difference. I'm sure Jultomten is not from Canada. Maybe he is from the North Pole but that is influenced by American tradition.

I guess the best answer to where Santa Claus is from depends on where you live.
suitza
I made this topic because I wanted to see what people say about it. It's true that it depends where you live. Smile Joulupukki is same person as Santa Claus but in Finland we believe that joulupukki is from place named korvatunturi, finland.

I have also heard sometimes that our Joulupukki is made up from Krampus (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus )

Well stories have different point of views Smile
kta_fh
deanhills wrote:
kta_fh wrote:

What is joulupukki .... sounds much more fun .... Laughing

Joulupukki was originally nuuttipukki "Goat of Nuutti's day". In the old pagan Finland, the nuuttipukki was a man dressed as a goat, the symbol of fertility. Dressed up, nuuttipukki would go from house to house, consume any offered liquor, frighten the children and behave as drunks do. Sometimes he would bring gifts to the kind children and a bundle of twigs (to spank with!!) to the not-so-kind.

As time passed, nuuttipukki was replaced by the more easy going joulupukki. In the 1960's joulupukki was still seen (I saw) going around in a standard brown jacket and boots, although with a long beard already. Red dress came along a bit later.

Disclaimer: most of this I translated from http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joulupukki.
Flegit
Saint Nicolas (Sviatoy Nikolay) does Santa's job here in Ukraine. Today's the day he gives away his presents, by the way=)

Quote:
Dressed up, nuuttipukki would go from house to house, consume any offered liquor, frighten the children and behave as drunks do.

Now this guy sounds more like someone who could forget his home address, rather than Santa)
suitza
Nuuttipukki isn't a guy you would want to visit at your house.
Hello_World
HAHAHAHA My Mum always used to insist we leave beer out for Santa.

I guess she must have meant Nuuttipukki.... Razz

ROFL.
FastDebrid
When I was young, I was told that Santa Claus lived in the North Pole.
Then, when I grew up, I learned that Santa was living with us all along.
Santa is my Dad. Very Happy
Peterssidan
Hello_World wrote:
Putting rice porridge outside for Santa is quite common but I have never heard of him drinking beer.
rogue_skydragon
Hello_World wrote:

LOL, that's wild. No wonder Santa's got a beer belly. That whole thing about him eating cookies is a load of bull.
Segia
Santa Clause actually originates from a Dutch tradition called Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas), which we celebrate the 5th of December. He basically does the same as Santa, giving out presents and candy to the children, though he rides the roofs on a horse, rather than flying through the air in a sleigh with reindeers. Also, he's got helpers called Zwarte Pieten (roughly translated as Black Peters), who climb through the chimneys to put presents in the children's shoes (thus their color), rather than elves.
therimalaya
North Pole
seanm
in london they have a north pole so he could come from london
inuyasha
Are you serious.....
I believe Santa Claus comes from the North Pole. But... Why do you ask? He does not really exists.
Marcuzzo
Segia wrote:
Santa Clause actually originates from a Dutch tradition called Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas), which we celebrate the 5th of December. He basically does the same as Santa, giving out presents and candy to the children, though he rides the roofs on a horse, rather than flying through the air in a sleigh with reindeers. Also, he's got helpers called Zwarte Pieten (roughly translated as Black Peters), who climb through the chimneys to put presents in the children's shoes (thus their color), rather than elves.

let me back that one up
wikipedia wrote:
Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas and simply "Santa", is a figure with legendary, mythical, historical and folkloric origins who, in many western cultures, is said to bring gifts to the homes of the good children during the late evening and overnight hours of Christmas Eve, December 24.[1] The modern figure was derived from the Dutch figure of Sinterklaas,[2] which, in turn, may have part of its basis in hagiographical tales concerning the historical figure of gift giver Saint Nicholas. A nearly identical story is attributed by Greek and Byzantine folklore to Basil of Caesarea. Basil's feast day on January 1 is considered the time of exchanging gifts in Greece.
TheLimey
He is from Greenland
nickfyoung
suitza wrote:
Christmas is near and SantaClaus doesn't remember where is his home country.
Please people tell SantaClaus where he's home is. Smile

At our house in Australia, Santa would come Christmas eve. The kids would leave out cookies and a bottle of beer for him before they went to bed. He always ate the cookies and drank the beer and only left the crumbs to show he had been. There was always bits of white fluffy stuff on the floor from his beard and of course lots of presents in the morning.
As the kids got older some other kids at school tried to tell them that Santa wasn't real and that it was just your Dad or something but they wouldn't believe them. After all, why would you want to stop believing in all those presents every year.