FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Scalable (in size) Forums - Is there such a thing?

ChunkyBustout
Hello all,

I am looking for a forum to use on my site that won't open in a new page (or tab) but be confined to a section of my web page that is about 2/3 the size of the my entire page, without scrolling. Is there such a thing or am I pipe-dreaming? Brick wall It would be nice and it would really make my page look good to have everything accessible from the navigation menu. Any suggestions would be appreciated (and please hold the sarcasm).

Thanks.
Nameless
There is an easy way to do that, in Frontpage at least. Set the index page of your website as a frames page with two frames, a smaller one for the menu and a larger one for the main page. If you look in the options for the links you should find an option for what frame to open the document in, the default should be for it to open in the larger one, leaving the small one on the side (I think.)
orno
P.S Frames and especially stuff like forums or other stuff INSIDE frames gets really annoying sometimes Wink
Bondings
If you're good at working with templates, then I suggest you take a look at them and it shouldn't be too hard to do it. Just put your navigation or whatever you want on one side and the rest on the other side. It's certainly possible.
ChunkyBustout
Thanks, Bondings. I believe I have it.
ChunkyBustout
I have run into problems again. It seems like I have to begin designing my page with frames to use them which means I'll have to redo a lot and I've spent quite a bit of time getting it the way it is. Is it possible to use a table instead of frames and place the forum inside the table? If so, how would that be coded or, in Dreamweaver's design mode, how would you display the forum? Is it possible to display the entire page of a URL inside a table? (that would be ideal)
snowboardalliance
ChunkyBustout wrote:
I have run into problems again. It seems like I have to begin designing my page with frames to use them which means I'll have to redo a lot and I've spent quite a bit of time getting it the way it is. Is it possible to use a table instead of frames and place the forum inside the table? If so, how would that be coded or, in Dreamweaver's design mode, how would you display the forum? Is it possible to display the entire page of a URL inside a table? (that would be ideal)

In the table put an iframe and it works the same.
Bondings
What I suggest you should do is to first design the whole page with some space for a table where the forum should go. After that, you will need to put this around all template files of your forum.

<start of your page (html) till your table>
<template data from your phpBB forum>
<end of your page (html) starting from the end of the table>

If your page isn't html, it will be a bit more complicated.
ChunkyBustout
snowboardalliance wrote:
ChunkyBustout wrote:

In the table put an iframe and it works the same.

I can't put a frame inside a table. It goes anywhere but inside the table even with the table selected.
ChunkyBustout
Bondings wrote:
What I suggest you should do is to first design the whole page with some space for a table where the forum should go. After that, you will need to put this around all template files of your forum.

<start of your page (html) till your table>
<template data from your phpBB forum>
<end of your page (html) starting from the end of the table>

If your page isn't html, it will be a bit more complicated.

It is all html. The only thing I didn't understand was putting the template data inside the table. Where do I get the template data? (sorry for the dumn questions but I haven't implemented a forum inside a web page before)
Bondings
I meant the opposite, put the table around the template files of your forum.

Actually, you only have to add it on top of the overall_header.tpl and at the bottom of the overall_footer.tpl files. You will need to change them a bit, though, if you don't want to have double titles/headers. Wink
ChunkyBustout
I'm afraid I still don't understand using the template files of my forum Confused

I don't recognize the extension "tpl". Is this for template and, if so, for what forum software?
Bondings
It's the template file of phpBB. It only contains html or {} where dynamic code is inserted in between. A php script then puts code into the {} and sometimes duplicates some of the code, like for all rows/posts.

What you need to do is look at the overall_header.tpl and the overall_footer.tpl and then change the top and bottom like you would like it to be. You might want to change the title, but I would leave the style information.
ChunkyBustout
Thank you for the clarification, Bondings and I think I know where my confusion is coming from... I'm not using phpBB. I'm using SMF. Laughing
ChunkyBustout
I think I need to start from scratch using frames otherwise this just isn' t going to happen regardless of the forum I choose. Thanks for your suggestion!