FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Skyrim is boring

splintercdo
I know I will be unpopular with post like this, but truth must be told!

If developers wouldn't told us that we will get god like game I wouldn't have had so high expectations, but here is what I mean:

Good things:
1. Engine has actually been improved a lot since Oblivion, Skyrim shows better performance results than Oblivion on machines with the same specs. Game looks and sounds fantastic! and I absolutely love it for that:

but I guess that's it!

Bad things:
1. I guess developers at Bethesda have forgotten what is RPG! If they would call Skyrim Action Adventurer of the year I would be cool, but game which is so dumbed down can't be called RPG.
* there is no advanced character creation
* inventory system is atrocious(For consoles meh, for PC absolutely)
* there is no actual value of which skills or what you learn(you don't have to plan anything)
* quests are broken, after completing unexpected order of quests, freedom which was announced so loudly is lost
* story is so simple that you can put it on few comic pages with big pictures
* no advanced magic creation(and amount of spells is cut down drastically)

Basically Skyrim is fps shooter with fireballs! You can be level one and have not to be afraid of anyone, just go away and slay anyone.

In Morrowind you was dropped in less scripted, but much more live and interesting world which lived it's own life and there were no right or wrong choices.

In Skyrim in the first evening you already have become the ONE, the center of all events in the game and characters who even does not know Dovahkiin are praising you.

Strategy like this is OK for preschool children overcompensating all of their achievements. But RPG's should be a bit more complex and you should put even a tiny effort in achieving something.

2. Physics is just laughable, you cant interact with most of the objects in a game, while those which are interactive are flying around with one touch like they are some kind of a reactive balloons!

BUT, you can catch butterflies, someone should make a mod in which Dovahkiin is running down the hill on tiptops singing: "Lalala" and catching butterflies.

I think the fact that Elder Scrolls series have transferred to consoles is one of the worst things that could happen. And is saying, OK console players are morons let's not make the game too hard for them. Let's cut everything out that asks any effort of using brain and call the game RPG of the year!

And the main feature of the game Dragons should be included in the list of endangered species! Because I guess it's OK that army of Dovahkiins are slaying them everyday like 19th century Americans did with the Bison, the famous dragon shouts have so minor influence on overall game experience, that 100 backward flying dragons can be executed without worry.
luciferfawkes
I'm going to have to disagree with you sir. I didn't read fully throughout your post as I started to get a bit annoyed [I'm no fanboi at all, I just really enjoyed the game] but how long did you even play the game for?

I have 75 hours into the game and I can still do some quests and still have a blast. Take it for what it's worth.
splintercdo
Oh, but I take it for what it's worth Twisted Evil
weableandbob
I also have to disagree. While it's certainly far from perfect, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It may be because I wasn't expecting any massive improvements over Oblivion, so I was able to look past its flaws.
Hello_World
I like it. lol.

It is pretty similar to Oblivion, but with a different story. I liked Oblivion...

They changed the enchanted items thing a lot... In Oblivion, getting ahold of the enchanted items meant so much more than in this one. I think I prefered the rarity value of Oblivion is this regard.

I like the new alchemy thing. Doesn't it make more sense that you learn through experiementation and learning recipes?

I also like that my weapons don't degrade. Okay, I think that is maybe a bit lazy, but it was a bit of a pain...

I like that Lydia 'is bound to carry my burdens'. lol.
Dementei
Hello_World wrote:

I like that Lydia 'is bound to carry my burdens'. lol.

You'll laugh.
splintercdo
Quote:
You'll laugh.

About what?

That was so beautiful! Crying or Very sad
catscratches
splintercdo wrote:

1. I guess developers at Bethesda have forgotten what is RPG! If they would call Skyrim Action Adventurer of the year I would be cool, but game which is so dumbed down can't be called RPG.
To me, that's a definite plus. I hate RPGs with a passion. I'm not fond of action-adventures either... but at least they're not as bad as RPGs.

Quote:
* there is no advanced character creation
In what way? Appearance (couldn't care less since I play first-person)? Skillset (is done by simply focusing on certain skills and learning by experience)?

Quote:
* inventory system is atrocious(For consoles meh, for PC absolutely)
Make that: "the entire menu system is atrocious". Thankfully, there'll be mods that fix that. There are already some that make some improvements, but what's really needed is a complete overhaul.

Quote:
* there is no actual value of which skills or what you learn(you don't have to plan anything)
What? You get new skill perks which give you new abilities. Surely being able to perform those abilities and receiving the benefits of them is of value?

Quote:
* story is so simple that you can put it on few comic pages with big pictures
Yeah, the story's shit.

Quote:
* no advanced magic creation(and amount of spells is cut down drastically)
Meh.

Quote:
Basically Skyrim is fps shooter with fireballs! You can be level one and have not to be afraid of anyone, just go away and slay anyone.
I don't know... I keep dying all the time (because I'm not quick enough with opening the menu so I can consume potions).

Quote:
In Skyrim in the first evening you already have become the ONE, the center of all events in the game and characters who even does not know Dovahkiin are praising you.
Yeah, I hate that about most games. Don't try to make me feel significant by kissing my ass and letting me 'save the world'! Make the world seem significant!

Quote:
Strategy like this is OK for preschool children overcompensating all of their achievements. But RPG's should be a bit more complex and you should put even a tiny effort in achieving something.
Nah, I don't like putting effort into meaningless things like games. If I put effort into something, it better give me something worthwhile back: a better understanding of the world, knowledge, awareness of certain issues, beauty or better future prospects. If I don't manage to achieve any of those, I don't consider it an achievement.

Quote:
BUT, you can catch butterflies, someone should make a mod in which Dovahkiin is running down the hill on tiptops singing: "Lalala" and catching butterflies.
Personally, I'd like a mod that removes the player's ability to wield weapons and fight, removes your Dragonborn status and lets you simply live in the world as a peasant, chopping wood, bringing in the harvest, fish, hunt, etc. without trying to kiss your ass or excite you all the time. Because the world looks good and feels well-planned, but it's so utterly uninteresting now.
splintercdo
@catscratches Thanks for insightful answer I appreciate you opinion! Cool
drunkenkoz
You might say that Skyrim is a boring game, but there are still millions of people still playing it.
Raidblade
The only thing which annoys me in Skyrim is that destruction damage doesn't scale with your level. Other than that, i love Skyrim.
LostOverThere
drunkenkoz wrote:
You might say that Skyrim is a boring game, but there are still millions of people still playing it.

Even the worst games/movies have millions of people playing/seeing them. Popularity is not a good indicator of quality.

Skyrim is a spectacular game, but I'd have to admit that it does have many issues. The fact the world is so static is what annoys me most. You can do whatever you want, but it means nothing. Skyrim is like a lake disguised as an ocean. So what if I murder everyone, everywhere. People will still say hello as if I'd saved the world, and repeat their meaningless dialogue and actions over and over again.

For TESVI to be great, Bathesda need to work on making the game's world dynamic.
drunkenkoz
IF you don't like the game then you should go back to playing Oblivion and Morrowind. I honestly don't care what people think about the game because I know a lot of people that adore the game. Sure they released a game that was full of bugs, but that's because the fans kept pushing the company to release the game sooner. They have fixed most of the problems from what I've seen on my console version of the game, I haven't played the PC one in a while. The storyline in the game could of been longer, but there is enough side quests and modification you can make to the game to keep me occupied.
LostOverThere
drunkenkoz wrote:
IF you don't like the game then you should go back to playing Oblivion and Morrowind. I honestly don't care what people think about the game because I know a lot of people that adore the game. Sure they released a game that was full of bugs, but that's because the fans kept pushing the company to release the game sooner. They have fixed most of the problems from what I've seen on my console version of the game, I haven't played the PC one in a while. The storyline in the game could of been longer, but there is enough side quests and modification you can make to the game to keep me occupied.

Perhaps, but just because something's popular doesn't mean it's excused from criticism. While they have fixed some problems (such as bugs) they obviously haven't been able to address the game's underlying issues, such as the unbelievably shallow game-play.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Perhaps, but just because something's popular doesn't mean it's excused from criticism. While they have fixed some problems (such as bugs) they obviously haven't been able to address the game's underlying issues, such as the unbelievably shallow game-play.

I don't know, maybe shallow gameplay is more fun. The game's fairly popular so I suppose they must've done something right.