FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many countries are Frihost members from?

belltown
I'm curious to know whether there's any data compiled by the Frihost staff that indicates how many different countries have Frihost users. From what I've seen so far there seem to be members from all over the world.
tidruG
While we don't really compile/verify, it might be possible to check from people's IP addresses. I guess phpBB probably compiles this data somewhere, but we do have a lot of members from all over the world.

If I remember right, there was a topic long back asking people to post where they're from. I tried finding it, but I instead found a lot of other threads asking people where they're from, and these threads appear to be completely useless. I might have to go thread-hunting to lock them down. <sigh>

Anyway.
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
While we don't really compile/verify, it might be possible to check from people's IP addresses. I guess phpBB probably compiles this data somewhere, but we do have a lot of members from all over the world.

If I remember right, there was a topic long back asking people to post where they're from. I tried finding it, but I instead found a lot of other threads asking people where they're from, and these threads appear to be completely useless. I might have to go thread-hunting to lock them down. <sigh>

Anyway.
I'm a bit of a dud as far as IT goes, but wonder whether the list of countries and percentages below has been compiled from the info you mentioned, i.e. IP numbers (the list I'm referring to appears under the map - one has to click on the list to get a complete breakdown of countries). Would a third party Website that is doing research be able to do a break-down of Frihost's membership by country?
http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.frihost.com
tidruG
I think Alexa's stats would be coming from the number of users who have the Alexa toolbars on their browsers, and therefore, those stats may not be entire accurate. External websites cannot access the IP addresses of our members (that would be violation of your privacy). phpBB, by default, logs your IP addresses for reasons of Administration. We also use it to check whether someone has a double account, etc. Rest assured, we don't share your IP addresses with anyone.

As for creating a graph/chart, it's probably possible to do it. But I don't really see the point of spending so much time on having it done, do you? I mean ... Bondings would have to do it, and I'd much rather he spend that time doing other things on Frihost Wink
deanhills
Totally agreed tidruG. There is really no need for a graph. Also a great relief that the treatment of our IPs are secure at Frihost. One of the reasons that I don't have gmail is I am very suspicious of any of Google's services. That is one search engine that invests heavily in maximizing its tools for collecting any possible bit of information it can get of its users, and connecting all of their dots. I try and stay away as far as possible from Google, Facebook and Twitter. Only time I visit Twitter is when Frihost is down. So if Frihost is not in the same game, that is just another HUGE plus for posting here. Very Happy
johans
how many frihost users.. i dont have idea but as what i can observed in the forums there many users.. me, i am from the Philippines and i dont have idea also how many Filipino users here in frihost.

Idea
loremar
johans wrote:
how many frihost users.. i dont have idea but as what i can observed in the forums there many users.. me, i am from the Philippines and i dont have idea also how many Filipino users here in frihost.

Idea

Filipino users? There's a few I can remember:
tingkagol, mgeek, codersfriend, celebi269, chic4u03. Some probably don't frequent here anymore.

From what I observed, there's really really a lot of frihosters from India. Other countries I know is UK, US, Sweden, Australia, Canada, Nepal, and Malaysia. There are probably other frequent users who I don't know because they usually post in the language forums. Some are from Brazil, I think.
ankurthakur
I would better suggest you people to Compile it yourself in order to get accurate Data.

There are several IP based list / IP range lists which are provided in order to show which country the User is from.

Its an API in which we send the IP and it will return which country matches the IP Range.

Something like this CLASS : http://de77.com/php/how-to-detect-visitors-country-using-his-ip-address

Also, look at : http://software77.net/geoip-software.htm
kirii
http://whois.sc/frihost.com

just to share another simple way to check
deanhills
kirii wrote:
http://whois.sc/frihost.com

just to share another simple way to check
Right it is interesting:
Quote:
India India 18.8%
United States United States 14.1%
Brazil Brazil 5.9%
Pakistan Pakistan 4.6%
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK) 4.2%
Canada Canada 2.8%

But how is it calculated? Are the above stats for right in the moment when I downloaded them? Or over a period of time?
ankurthakur
deanhills wrote:
Right it is interesting:
Quote:
India India 18.8%
Brazil Brazil 5.9%
Pakistan Pakistan 4.6%
Canada Canada 2.8%

But how is it calculated? Are the above stats for right in the moment when I downloaded them? Or over a period of time?

LoL.. India is at the Top Razz Very Happy
deanhills
ankurthakur wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Right it is interesting:
Quote:
India India 18.8%
Brazil Brazil 5.9%
Pakistan Pakistan 4.6%
Canada Canada 2.8%

Right. But because everyone is awake there right now. Could be different tonight when everyone is sleeping? That's why I wanted to know how it is calculated.

Also, there would be a difference between those who post and those who just visit when one calculates the numbers.
kirii
deanhills wrote:
ankurthakur wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Right it is interesting:
Quote:
India India 18.8%
Brazil Brazil 5.9%
Pakistan Pakistan 4.6%
Canada Canada 2.8%

Right. But because everyone is awake there right now. Could be different tonight when everyone is sleeping? That's why I wanted to know how it is calculated.

Also, there would be a difference between those who post and those who just visit when one calculates the numbers.

I'm not sure how whois.sc got these statistics but i think they must have their own way
these are just visitors,but since most of the visitors are from india,i guess it will be the same for forumers as well