FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stop a particular scheduled program (HP)

Sparda
Hi,

I have been trying to figure out how to stop this program from starting up for a while now. It's HP's default support tune-up program. It will start randomly in the most inconvenient time of the day. I have already went into the program's settings to "NEVER" notify me of a tune-up or anything of that nature. Seems to be an incomplete feature because I'm still notified. I went through my list of services and could not find a match for this automated software. Anything with "HP" in the service title I already have disabled. I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

HP Pavilion p6710f is the computer brand.
deanhills
I've got the same thing and it is most annoying. I just click it to end it, but now that you mention it, wonder whether one could try and find its source and remove it from the programs.
Asap170
You can disable the service and start up entry by doing the following:
    1. Open up the run command
    2. Type "msconfig" (without quotes)
    3. Select the "Startup" tab.
    4. Locate the program that is making your life miserable and make sure it is unchecked
    5. Select the "Services" tab.
    6. Check to see if that program has it's service that is running constantly, if it is then make sure it is unchecked.

Hope that helps!
ocalhoun
Spybot Search and destroy has some decent utilities built in to manage auto-starting tasks.
I've used it to kill pesky things like that before... not to mention cleaning up the list of running processes that I don't use.

Should you be using Vista, I've also had good experiences with 'vista tweak', a utility that gives you a lot more control over system settings in Vista.