FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Points for Tutorials

Do you think that we should get points for posting in the tutorial section?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

foumy6
I was just looking for somewhere new to post other than my regular places when I got to the tutorial section. That is when I noticed that it said that points are disabled there. This confuses me. I think that if someone spends the time to right a good and useful tutorial then they should be rewarded. Now part of me can see why but really I don't think that there will be many spammers in the tutorial section so I don't think that this will really be a problem. I think that we should be able to get points in the tutorial section. How about you?
sonam
I think the points is disabled because is easy to copy/paste huge codes from some other sites just for getting points. From my point of view this is OK.

Sonam
rjraaz
sonam wrote:
I think the points is disabled because is easy to copy/paste huge codes from some other sites just for getting points. From my point of view this is OK.

Sonam

There may be a possibility that tutorial post must be approved first by moderators.
deanhills
I agree with Foumy. Would be great if tutorials could get points. Points would probably motivate people more to submit tutorials as well. Same rule will obviously apply as with any other posts. If material is used from the Website it has to be in quotes.
ocalhoun
Points are disabled there for the same reason as in the jokes forum...
Enabling points there results in a deluge of copy-pasted posts.

Yes, occasionally people will write their own original tutorials... and they do deserve points for that... but the vast majority would be copy pasted.
Some might do it the right way*, and use quote tags... but many won't.

*And doing it the right way doesn't make for really great posts anyway... usually just a huge block of quoted text and a 'here, I liked this tutorial'.
Nameless
I don't see why tutorials should earn less points than posting equally unprompted but helpful health tips or anything. The forum would obviously need to be watched for copy/pasta, but there are already rules discouraging it and moderators keeping their eyes open.
foumy6
maybe there could be another similar forum that only people with so many posts which I know can be done with phpbb that way only dedicated posters here that have at least like 250+ posts and all will be able to post tutorial that they write and earn point. I don't think that the more trusted members that H ave been here for a while would break a very well known frihost rule.

Like I said I can see the reason for it, but still I think people who acually write tutorials, and you could even say in the forums description that his is only for tutorials that you write no blocked quotes like ocalhoun said.
amagard
I agree to foumy6, the initiator of this discussion thread, that point s should not be disabled for the Tutorials forum.
The reasoning that people may abuse it by doing lots of copy-pasting is valid for all other forums as well.
It is easy to find some science or history related in Wikipedia or somewhere else and throw it into the appropriate forum.
I understand there is probably no easy way for moderators / administrator or the entire community to detect this form of abuse, other than searching the net if an article looks too suspicious.

I started posting Python related tutorials in my blog and will continue that way to ensure I get my ( well deserved Laughing ) points.
Ghost Rider103
This brings up a new idea.

Having an official area on Frihost where tutorials are written and approved by the staff for points. Tutorials only related specifically to web hosting / developing / design anyways.

I think this would bring in a lot more activity. A LOT of people search the web for tutorials, they often stay around the forums to ask for questions (which is what we ultimately want!).

So submit a self-made tutorial, if it gets accepted it appears on a page (similar to directory page maybe, so its more official looking and is laid out nicer). Accepted tutorials get points. Very Happy

I'd totally write some official tutorials if they were officially featured in a tutorial area.
sonam
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
This brings up a new idea.

Having an official area on Frihost where tutorials are written and approved by the staff for points. Tutorials only related specifically to web hosting / developing / design anyways.

I think this would bring in a lot more activity. A LOT of people search the web for tutorials, they often stay around the forums to ask for questions (which is what we ultimately want!).

So submit a self-made tutorial, if it gets accepted it appears on a page (similar to directory page maybe, so its more official looking and is laid out nicer). Accepted tutorials get points. Very Happy

I'd totally write some official tutorials if they were officially featured in a tutorial area.

I think this is good idea. This new area (TUTORIALS) we can link from main link line where are (FRIHOST HOME FORUMS SEARCH ...) but there is small problem for moderators. I have feeling (maybe is wrong) how everyone who have little or bad knowledge will try to post in this area and this try will produce lot of work for moderators.

Sonam
busaboss
Maybe they just allow only a few people to write in that section. For example, only those who has 200 more posts can do it because they were already a bit old in the forum. I agree to the idea that it will bring in more and more people here because a lot of them use the internet for tutorials on certain things.
amagard
This creates another idea: rating.
If we would have some sort of rating mechanism available in this forum environment then people could start rating tutorials. When a tutorial has received so many points (e.g. 5 reader "like" it ) it is moved into an official "Tutorials" area. Tutorials initially could be posted in ones own blog or may be some "Sandbox" type of forum.
Until we have some sort of rating gadget we can use comments: 5 positive comments qualify a tutorial to become "official".
deanhills
amagard wrote:
This creates another idea: rating.
If we would have some sort of rating mechanism available in this forum environment then people could start rating tutorials. When a tutorial has received so many points (e.g. 5 reader "like" it ) it is moved into an official "Tutorials" area. Tutorials initially could be posted in ones own blog or may be some "Sandbox" type of forum.
Until we have some sort of rating gadget we can use comments: 5 positive comments qualify a tutorial to become "official".
Excellent suggestion Amagard, makes great sense. Smile
milkshake01
Yes. Tutorials take effort and time to make.