FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

International border visible from space

Ankhanu
Historically, the view of our planet from space was one that inspired a sense of unity, of a bond that brought us all together... there are no borders when you look down from space.

No more!

Astronaut Ron Garan, taking photographs of Earth for a time-lapse photo project noted a new feature on the planet surface; the illuminated border between India and Pakastan. I've got to say it's a little disheartening. The reality of the world, of course, remains the same; we partition ourselves along imagined kinds, but, the symbolism of that separation within a perspective that has always inspired commonality and unity is striking.

What are your thoughts on the image?
Peterssidan
Interesting. Looking at Google maps it looks like especially the Indian side have a big fence and a lot of lighting along the border.
deanhills
Looks as though there are fires burning everywhere and no sunlight at all? Shocked
Peterssidan
It is probably night so the sunlight is on the other side of the earth. This fun, looking at Google map my guess is that the largest "fire" is Bikaner and the second largest is Karachi.
deanhills
Think that astronaut must have been very depressed when he took the photo. Think this one is much nicer for me - it is of Mozambique.

The photo above is of collection that has been taken by astronauts called - The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/

Some really nice ones in the collection are:

Galapagos Islands:

Argentina:

Tropical Storm in Mexico:
standready
Ankhanu wrote:
I've got to say it's a little disheartening. The reality of the world, of course, remains the same; we partition ourselves along imagined kinds, but, the symbolism of that separation within a perspective that has always inspired commonality and unity is striking.

Very well said, Ankhanu. Interesting photo also. Hey didn't that one light just move? laugh
ankurthakur
Wow. I've never seen a view like this... That looks very nice... and its much nice to see you taking pics from there above the earth Very Happy

Yeah, you can find much lighting in the South Asian or Indian Wink areas... I love it when I travel my country using Air control in Google Earth... Its Fun Very Happy