FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is a Average Meal for a Month?

Ryox
I only have 367.00 worth of Food Stamps so my question is! <<<

What is a Average Meal for a Month, Household of 3.. I know not to buy junk food but I tend to once in a while every month and I can't stop but Thanksgiving and Christmas is gonna suck my Food Stamps Dry for the Holidays.. <<

So my question is, A household of 3, what is a Average Meal people eat together?

May sound Stupid but my mom does all the shopping but I do half of it, She could do it alone if she didn't have me lol (Shes not a food junkie) like I am... LOL
deanhills
I come from a large family, and my mom has a great knack for stretching food dollars. Particularly using macaroni. Cheese may be a little bit expensive, but she has a great gift for macaroni and cheese with tinned tuna. In a large dish. Something else, although not everyone is partial to it, is corned beef with plenty of tomato (could be canned with garlic and oregano) and onion on bread. She used to make trifle in bulk for once a week treat on Sunday for lunch. Short cake, jelly, home made custard, some canned fruit and cream. Chicken can also go a long way made in a stew, then carved up in tiny bits with lots of rice. Very Happy
Ryox
deanhills wrote:
I come from a large family, and my mom has a great knack for stretching food dollars. Particularly using macaroni. Cheese may be a little bit expensive, but she has a great gift for macaroni and cheese with tinned tuna. In a large dish. Something else, although not everyone is partial to it, is corned beef with plenty of tomato (could be canned with garlic and oregano) and onion on bread. She used to make trifle in bulk for once a week treat on Sunday for lunch. Short cake, jelly, home made custard, some canned fruit and cream. Chicken can also go a long way made in a stew, then carved up in tiny bits with lots of rice. Very Happy

Oh ok, I was living in a house of 7 where everything was split so, my mom does all the shopping from now and I help her if we're in a rush..
Bondings
I would advise to make wok-recipes with a lot of cheap/healthy ingredients like tomatoes and onions. And you can put some cheap chicken meat inside too.

Soups are probably the cheapest option. I love to make bean-bacon soup. You first make the onion a bit brown with some oil and then put the water in together with some vegetables and a lot of beans. I use normal white beans (the cheapest), some red beans (I like the taste/color) and some big white beans (tasty). And then finally at the end you put some (in my case a lot) bacon (chopped in small pieces) inside.
deanhills
I've always eyed woks, but never got to actually buying one. I do use those ingredients though with garlic and grated ginger, always my base. The soup sounds to die for, particularly winter time. I can see it standing on the stove all day long for snack food too. Very Happy
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
The soup sounds to die for, particularly winter time. I can see it standing on the stove all day long for snack food too. Very Happy

Yes indeed. I actually sometimes eat it as breakfast. Cool
Ryox
Ok thanks guys! If anyone has any other suggestions, that would be awesome! Yes, Soup's do sound good for the Reason its good for Winter, to stay warm... Very Happy