FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thoughts on SSD (Solid State Drive)

nightfuries21
Good Day All,

I am thinking of buying an SSD for my desktop. This will be my first SSD once I made up my mind.

One of my friend told me that theoretically "SSD don't get bad sectors because it has no spinning disc

but has chips where it saves the data like memory cards." <-- any thoughts on this.

I can see that is a huge price difference compared to a regular HDD but the question is - is it worth it?
menino
I think SSD's will become the norm in the near future.

Well, if you can afford it, and can use the speed increase, then SSD would be worthed, especially if you are going to use it for productive use. Actually, even games will run a bit faster on it.

If its just too expensive, then might as well wait for the prices to drop.

I'm sure you will see a significant performance increase with SSD's, if you do go for it, but if your machine is slow.

I have seen a bunch of laptops with SSD, and the performance is significantly better than older laptops, but thats also because of the processor and the memory DDR3 technology as well.

In terms of technology, yes, its based on memory chips, with no moving internal parts like the older hard disks. Probably something like what flash disks use, I would make a calculated guess at.
Bluedoll
Quote:
And new evidence is coming in from research done by STEC that old, heavily written MLC cells - managed by traditional endurance schemes - may get slower as they get older - due to higher retry rates on reads - even though the blocks are still reported by SMART logs as "good" - http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
I'll let you do your own research but as I understand it which of course might be incorrect info coming from me is that these drives are good (fast) but not prefect yet. Of course bad sectors do not exist but sometimes memory becomes unusable with use.

All this might be meaningless if you have a huge drive and might replace your computer or drive over time anyway but just wanted to stick a post in here to say these guys (ssd's) still need some refinement.
k_s_baskar
in my opinion SSD will increase performance of your desktop/laptop due to non mechanical parts of SSD. And you don't get bad sectors as your friend mention because of the same.
But their is risk factor of complete data loss if SSD fails.
If i assume correctly you can't recover data from failure SSD.
brandon02852
I personally own two solid state drives...here are the benefits (both researched and personal experience).

1. No spin-up time so boot is faster.
2. No need to defragment.
3. Practically resistant to static shock.
4. Extremely fast read times.
5. Practically no power usage.
6. Much smaller than conventional harddrives (more discrete, less blocking airflow)

Now for some down sides...(theres always one)

1. As the SSD is continually written to, it slows down (this can be reversed via certain cleaning methods).
2. The cost per gigabyte is astounding (but much cheaper than it used to be).

Currently, SSD's are only a great buy for use as a boot drive...for installing an operating system on...that is about it. To use one for storage (like I currently do for games and games only) is good too since it speeds up the loading times for games.

If you have the money go for it!
nightfuries21
brandon02852 wrote:
I personally own two solid state drives...here are the benefits (both researched and personal experience).

1. No spin-up time so boot is faster.
2. No need to defragment.
3. Practically resistant to static shock.
4. Extremely fast read times.
5. Practically no power usage.
6. Much smaller than conventional harddrives (more discrete, less blocking airflow)

Now for some down sides...(theres always one)

1. As the SSD is continually written to, it slows down (this can be reversed via certain cleaning methods).
2. The cost per gigabyte is astounding (but much cheaper than it used to be).

Currently, SSD's are only a great buy for use as a boot drive...for installing an operating system on...that is about it. To use one for storage (like I currently do for games and games only) is good too since it speeds up the loading times for games.

If you have the money go for it!

cleaning methods? that's interesting - therefore I have nothing to worry about.

I will buy one this holiday as a gift to myself. ^_^