FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bondings's amazing aquarium

Bondings
Ok, it might not be that amazing, but here it is:

It contains 3 botias, 3 corydoras and a lot of guppies (my guess is about 60-80). I know that we have too many guppies in there but they kept reproducing until some time ago (I suppose they now eat most children).

We normally have more plants but replaced some old ones some time ago. 2 of the new plants were simply too tasty though and were completely eaten within a few days by the fish.
Ankhanu
Is your heater built in to you filter unit, or do you not have a heater in there?
I've had guppies back in the 90s, but they never bred. I think I'm one of the few who's had male and female guppies and not had a population explosion Wink (though I have had angel fish breed, but the eggs were eaten by a couple of the other fish)

I like the sparse set up, really. Mine's almost as sparse, but only because a lot of my plants disappeared Razz I tend to like relatively dense plantings. The one in the back right corner seems to be doing just fine though (and is trailing out over the surface)

I've been considering buying a wide 40Gal. tank for a while now, but I'd need to build a stand for it, which is what's been holding me back. I plan to set it up with a decent plant density and some wood, and maybe try discus fish for the first time (I've been keeping tanks for about 16 years now, but have avoided the more expensive species).

PS - great to see ya posting, Bondings!
Bondings
Yes there is a heater in the filter unit and the temperature is set to 25C. It used to be a lot lower (something like 20C) when we only had guppies in a much smaller aquarium.

I also heard that they breed less in lower temperatures, but I think that is only below 20C or so (or at least in our case they had no problems with 19*20C). What might also be the case is that if you don't have a lot of dense plants then it could be that the very small baby guppies are eaten before you even noticed them.

The guppies started out as 10 male and 10 female in a much smaller aquarium. Due to some water problems (or just the weak ones being eliminated) they got down to 5 but then started to breed like crazy and the number got to 30-40 before we transferred them to the bigger aquarium we got.

We also had problems with water snails in our aquarium. At first there were a few (probably came with the plants) and they were kind of cute to have. Then they started to breed too and the whole ground was covered with them (hundreds). That's why we bought the botias (apparently they eat them) and we completely got rid of them (together with manually removing all the big ones).

Your setup seems to be quite nice and is looking a lot more river/lake-like. Our blue/white/black stones are not as natural.
Ankhanu
Bondings wrote:
Yes there is a heater in the filter unit and the temperature is set to 25C. It used to be a lot lower (something like 20C) when we only had guppies in a much smaller aquarium.

Cool. That seems like an efficient way to heat and condition the water Smile

Bondings wrote:
We also had problems with water snails in our aquarium. At first there were a few (probably came with the plants) and they were kind of cute to have. Then they started to breed too and the whole ground was covered with them (hundreds). That's why we bought the botias (apparently they eat them) and we completely got rid of them (together with manually removing all the big ones).

I was going to suggest something like the botias if you still had the problem (not all botia species eat snails, but it looks like you have ones that do).
I was actually having the opposite problem a couple years back. I decided to try keeping a fresh/brackish water species of puffer fish, which also love things like snails. I had trouble getting a good breeding colony going, and I think the puffer was too small to eat the snails I did have; unfortunately it died after about 3 months. After that the apple snails started breeding, but the ram's horns never really did.

Bondings wrote:
Your setup seems to be quite nice and is looking a lot more river/lake-like. Our blue/white/black stones are not as natural.

Thanks. I like a natural look. My gravel is actually traction sand that I washed the dust out of. It took some work, but I like the look, and it's way cheaper than buying aquarium gravel!
ocalhoun
Aw... now you've got me wanting one...

Ah, well... If my new place is big enough, I might...

...And if I do make one, I'm going completely natural.
...As in go down to the creek, set a fish trap, and gather up some rocks natural. ^.^
Navigator
nice to see you around bondings!
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Amazing all of that happening in a simple home aquarium. Rather than just removing the snails by hand from the aquarium. Has to be fun to have a home grown eco system.

Belltown just linked us from General Chat to this topic.
belltown wrote:
I think Bondings must be back because I just got a PM from him approving my application for a Frihost account. I think he has been trapped in an aquarium (http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132137.html), but hopefully he has managed to escape and will be around for a long time to provide the fine services of Frihost that I have heard so many good things about.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1065758.html#1065758

I was kind'a expecting your Avatar inside the aquarium in your usual sense of humour style. Ha! May just as well do the honours while we're at it ...

menino
lol deanhills, Bondings also want the fish to surf and post.

Nice aquarium, bondings and ankhanu.

I also had an aquarium some years back, and had gurami's angel fish, neon tetras tiger barbs and a few others, but work gets too busy to take care of them as it is required.
Still, it was quite nice watching them swim around, and it is quite relaxing.

Your posts and pics have got me thinking of rejuvinating my small aquarium.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
Amazing all of that happening in a simple home aquarium. Rather than just removing the snails by hand from the aquarium. Has to be fun to have a home grown eco system.

We did remove a lot of them by hand, but we started with it when it was already too late. There were already hundreds of them and they hid inside the rocks, plants and filter. They were not easy to pick by hand, especially the smaller ones. It would probably have been possible to remove most of them by hand if we would spend a lot of time on it every day, but I prefer more permanent solutions. Wink
deanhills
I did not realize they were that small. Makes great sense now. Very Happy
Bondings
deanhills wrote:

The small ones have a diameter of about 1-2 mm and their shells covered the whole button. The big ones got as big as 1-2 cm and those were easy to remove in comparison.
bukaida
Nice to see you posting.
Marcuzzo
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

The small ones have a diameter of about 1-2 mm and their shells covered the whole button. The big ones got as big as 1-2 cm and those were easy to remove in comparison.

I had a dwarf puffer to take care of those, but after the last snails had died, so did the puffer. Crying or Very sad
his teeth grew because he didn't have any shells to bite on.
I even started to buy snails at the shop but these wouldn't reproduce.
I also tried to feed it frozen mosquito larva instead of fresh ones so he had something to bite on but after a few months his teeth got so big it couldn't eat at all.
and one morning I found him floating in the tank.

I still have an angelfish, 4 neon tetra's 3 Corydoras Melanistius and a small pleco and imo that is more then enough for a 60 Litres tank.
Ankhanu
Marcuzzo wrote:
I had a dwarf puffer to take care of those, but after the last snails had died, so did the puffer. Crying or Very sad
his teeth grew because he didn't have any shells to bite on.
I even started to buy snails at the shop but these wouldn't reproduce.
I also tried to feed it frozen mosquito larva instead of fresh ones so he had something to bite on but after a few months his teeth got so big it couldn't eat at all.
and one morning I found him floating in the tank.

Our lesson learned?
If we want to keep puffer fish, we need a separate tank of breeding snails in order to feed them.
Marcuzzo
Ankhanu wrote:
Our lesson learned?
If we want to keep puffer fish, we need a separate tank of breeding snails in order to feed them.

well duhh, thank you CPT. obvious, just kidding Laughing

my puffer died a year ago and a lot has happened since then, new job, school, marriage, ect... and I simply didn't have the time to get a new tank for the snails.
I know it's a lame excuse but I got so focussed on whatever I was doing that I had never gotten to it.
we will also be moving to a new place in a few months and this will be stressfull enough for my fish.
and I don't want to put the "newcomer" to even more stress then getting used to living in a new tank.
Ankhanu
It's just sad that we both killed puffers due to food supply Sad
standready
Now where did I put my fishing pole? laugh
I have had gold fish. Lazy person's tank. One time, I had two groupers in a 40 gallon tank. Got too big for the tank so gave them to an aquarium.
GuidanceReader
I miss my fish tanks.

We used to have a 5 ft tank (which was 3ft tall) to keep discus in, and we actually got some breeding at one stage. We also had a 6ft tank which had guppies, neons, convicts and a plethora of other assortment of tropical fish.
lightwate
deanhills wrote:

That's exactly what I had in mind!

Cooool! I haven't seen wild predators in action in real life! lol (except for insects).

We used to have a small aquarium once, but it only had a few goldfishes. We also had a pond that used to have some asian fish (i dunno what it's called but i feel that it's common in asia) but now it's all dried up. My mom said something about a cat eating the fishes or something.
Ankhanu
A friend was getting rid of his tank this week, so I acquired some new plants for mine!

pll
It's always fascinating to see those kinds of aquariums. My girlfriend had one about one year ago and she needed to take care of the fishes everyday during something like an hour (keep water temperature okay, check if the plants and fish have good health, check if the fishes eat another one and things like that). When you start to have some variety of fishes it can be kinda complicated to keep them all together.
mathiaus
Nice tanks Bondings & Ankhanu. Do these things kind of grow and develop or do they generally stay the same as when you first buy everything and set it all up?

deanhills wrote:
I was kind'a expecting your Avatar inside the aquarium in your usual sense of humour style. Ha! May just as well do the honours while we're at it ...

Nice one Dean! Dancing

I would like some fish now having these but have a cat and don't think he would leave them alone Twisted Evil
abhizz
I had one aquarium in the past but when i put some fighter fished in it they killed ma favorite gold fishes
Ankhanu
mathiaus wrote:
Nice tanks Bondings & Ankhanu. Do these things kind of grow and develop or do they generally stay the same as when you first buy everything and set it all up?

They'll generally stay basically the same, though, if the conditions and species are right, your plants will spread. You do need to prune the plants back now and again, but, it's usually months or years between.

mathiaus wrote:
I would like some fish now having these but have a cat and don't think he would leave them alone Twisted Evil

My cats have always more or less left my tanks alone.
lilysc1
Cool fish tanks. I think I might get one. They look pretty cool Smile
Bondings
@mathiaus, some of the plants can grow enormous and you need to trim them. Of course this only happens if the fish don't eat/attack the plants too much.

And a cat is not a problem if you buy a closed aquarium (like mine).
dude_xyx
I have so many guppies and I have now idea how many. I have black guppy which liked a lot also other colors and kinds. But I think it's time to get rid of them and some other fish I have. I want to downsize my whole aquarium setup. I will keep just 5 tanks out of 12 inside and outside tanks I have.
Ankhanu
Just got a sale price offer on a friend's 40-50gal. aquarium, with accessories, so might have to be quick and build a stand Razz It's a wide format, rather than tall, so lots of surface area for plants, bottom feeders and gas exchange!
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
Just got a sale price offer on a friend's 40-50gal. aquarium, with accessories, so might have to be quick and build a stand Razz

Just remember how much 40-50 gal of water is going to weigh! ^.^
Sometimes people do build a stand, put the tank on it, fill it up, and watch it crash.
Ankhanu
Water, glass AND stone.
Thanks for the tip, but I was thinking of it. I'm the son of an engineer, after all (and started taking engineering myself before going the science route) Wink

I designed the stand for my old 33gal and had it fabricated from 1.5" angle iron and 1/2" square tubing. This time, I don't have easy access to welders and steel, so will be working with 2x4s, primarily.
TheGremlyn
That is an impressive aquarium. We only ever had a little one and for years when we were growing up we just had these monstrous gold fish. One of them, as I recall, turned silver and eventually went blind in both eyes. By the time the fish died we were left with a plecko for at least a year.

The aquarium was probably the best part of the bathroom, since it was the best place to keep it where it would be close to a sink if it needed to be cleaned. We also had some people comment that it helped them relax when they were in the bathroom, and I suppose its true. You certainly had something to look at and the sound... yea...

I might get a small one up and running in my apartment. It would be nice. I just hope the fish don't all decide to eat each other. That was the problem we had last time. They were supposed to be community fish but every week we'd see that another fish was floating around in pieces :S
dude_xyx
So all these guys (in the tank) are still alive ?

I lost almost all of my old Discus due to a waster problem. Now I have couple of new pairs of baby Discus fish.
IceCreamTruck
My 40 gallon tank with rocks and such is almost 500pounds. It's a 40/wide that I have turned into a coffee table. I would make the stand from 4/4inch wood for sure. You'd have to be pretty cleaver to get 2/4inch wood to hold it. Keep in mind that one split, and it's over!

You guys make me want to set it up again. It's been a while since I've had it going... almost a year.

PS. That image is really funny Dean! Can you make it a bit smaller? I almost missed your avatar addition way off to the right.
Goddess
You guys (and girls) make me want to have an aquarium again. I used to have over 2000 liters of water in my house in my past life. I like to watch the fish and take care of the tanks. I still have one 280 l tank left in my garage... Maybe I'll set it up some day Very Happy
dude_xyx
I had to stop keeping Discus fish for a while. Only I have only one left and these days I don't have that lot of time to spare for them.

Now I want to have tank with school of Golden Severums. I'm searching for 4-5 pairs of Juvenile Gold Severums but couldn't find yet. But I found a perfect Adult pair. I had to pay bit extra but didn't mind since it's hard to find a "real pair" of Golden Severums. You can get a male and female from pet shop but these guys are very picky and they become a pair just because we put a make and female together.

deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
PS. That image is really funny Dean! Can you make it a bit smaller? I almost missed your avatar addition way off to the right.

Here you go .... Very Happy

IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Here you go .... Very Happy

Good work! Now to figure out how to use it so we can take over the world! Smile
dude_xyx
If you had white gravel in you tank then it would make color of these guppies more bright.
IceCreamTruck
dude_xyx wrote:
If you had white gravel in you tank then it would make color of these guppies more bright.

Because the tank is lit this is actually not very humane. Yes, it makes color brighter, but it also blinds the fish who CANNOT close their eyes! Too much light and reflection will also bleach the color of a lot of fish. The best color for the bottom is dark brown, or green (preferably alive).

It would be like you living your whole life under an interrogation lamp, so be nice! Do not choose a white bottom, and put the light on cycle for the fish so they have a night time as well. Also it's healthy giving them places to hide from the light.

Fish hide when people first come around, but they will venture back out if you are patient and watch for them. Some fish simply don't make good pets because they will always hide really well from you, and not come out until it's dark, but simply choosing another fish is probably best. I recommend angel fish if you want a pretty fish that will learn to beg you for food.
sayedfauzan
hey guys, you can exchange ordinary gravel with specialized soil for planted aquarium, and start your own aquascape. Its is using hardscapes (driftwood and stones) with real aquatic plants. for some inspirations, you can read a whole collection of aquascape magazine from basic to advance articles here: http://aquashare.wordpress.com
milkshake01
Nice aquarium. I wonder how long did it took you to build such a nice aquarium.
zaxacongrejo
Hi just noticed this post now ive been a breeder quiet a long time of hot water and salty water fish
Do you still have this aquarium? Do you like it? i meant, is this something that can make you lose some time ? Waste some $ etc. ?

check this link
http://www.neublack.com/art-design/aqua-forest-aquarium/