FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Job Experience? Seeking advice pls

Ryox
Ok, so this is it..

I have only had job experience in fast food for less than 6 months back in 2009, so my question is.. How do I gain job experience from a place I have not, or have applied to, to get a job there?

Walmart, Sams Club, and all the other places I've applied to who is in Retail (stocking) WILL NOT, hire me because I do not have "ANY" Experience, so what should I do?

I am a high school graduate with a Modified Diploma, I have a "Special Learning Disability" but typing does not stop me from making experience, or going out...

I know GoodWill will help me achieve good job training but what are other ways that you guys know that I could gain Experience for a job I want to be in?

I been in and out of filling applications online but I just don't know what to do for now.. I've been nagging the places that I've applied too for a job weeks in and out but no response from anyone.

Coming to Christmas, I know it can be tough but what are some good ways to get volunteer experience, oh did I mention I love volunteering? Razz
Ankhanu
Volunteering is a way to get experience... but, of course, you won't be paid. It's a tough trade-off to make, but it does help.
Ryox
Ankhanu wrote:
Volunteering is a way to get experience... but, of course, you won't be paid. It's a tough trade-off to make, but it does help.

Yea I know volunteer helps to gain Experience for getting a Job, but no place will hire me because I don't have the "Experience" for it. Which sucks!
Ankhanu
Ryox wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Yea I know volunteer helps to gain Experience for getting a Job, but no place will hire me because I don't have the "Experience" for it. Which sucks!

Yeah, that's where volunteering comes in. They don't hire you, you offer your services for a time for no pay. In exchange you get some experience so you can be hired later.
Ryox
Ankhanu wrote:
Ryox wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Yeah, that's where volunteering comes in. They don't hire you, you offer your services for a time for no pay. In exchange you get some experience so you can be hired later.

So true! That is why Volunteering is such a thing nice to have on a Resume! Because than Employers know you want to work and get the job done right!
Ankhanu
Right.
I'm not talking about basic volunteering as it's usually used (i.e. charities and the like), but rather job place volunteering, helping out with a prospective employer in your field. If you can convince them you're serious, they may well take you on as an intern of some sort.
Ryox
Ankhanu wrote:
Right.
I'm not talking about basic volunteering as it's usually used (i.e. charities and the like), but rather job place volunteering, helping out with a prospective employer in your field. If you can convince them you're serious, they may well take you on as an intern of some sort.

Not many retail businesses do that here, rather than the Goodwill which helps you gain Experience.. Because of the Economy Crisis, it's really hard to get any Experience anywhere these days.
FastDebrid
Well, since you love volunteering, you can just ask this establishments if they are willing to take in some volunteers. In that way, you can get experience and enjoy what you are doing. Wink

God bless! Smile
Ankhanu
Ryox wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Right.

Not many retail businesses do that here, rather than the Goodwill which helps you gain Experience.. Because of the Economy Crisis, it's really hard to get any Experience anywhere these days.

Ah, yeah. I was thinking of something more technical. Retail/service likely won't take volunteer interns... unless you go to a small locally owned shop, perhaps??
LegendVPN
You can start in a locally-owned small shop then work your way up. Wink