FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Experienced workers

davidv
So I recently got a job as a software developer at a small company in the city. I'm very excited because I know I'll learn heaps and I'll be able to gain lots of experience years before the end of my degree. So this is a really good opportunity for me.

Problem is, I've only just started programming (been learning for a year). Although I catch on fairly quickly, I can't help but feel a little intimidated. My employer has 30 years of experience in the field, the other developer has at least 15 years and I barely have a year. My employers know that I'm new to the field but decided to take me up anyway.

So what I'm asking is, is it normal to feel intimidated by their experience? I really hate asking questions but I know I'll have to and it's good way to learn but I'm scared that if I ask but don't understand it the first time around, they'll think less of me?

I start next week Monday and my first task is to find bugs and fix them. So right now I'm vigorously studying some of the modules that they use in hopes that I'll familiarize myself before I start.

OH! Also, a lot of development will be web based. Although I've developed many websites in the past, I've never had the time to learn the very technical side of the web and I'm wondering if this lack of deep understanding might affect things.
deanhills
Congratulations with the job. I have no doubt you'll ace it, as you're probably going to go for it a 150%. I always thought passion is more important than experience in this field, as you probably are going to bring new insights to the business. The owner has the experience to contribute.
davidv
deanhills wrote:
Congratulations with the job. I have no doubt you'll ace it, as you're probably going to go for it a 150%. I always thought passion is more important than experience in this field, as you probably are going to bring new insights to the business. The owner has the experience to contribute.

Thanks! Definitely will try my best to both contribute a significant amount to produce quality software and also to learn as much as I possibly can.
splintercdo
For programming, experience is the thing number one! It's just impossible to build quality software without thinking in code and that is a skill that comes over time. But deanhills is correct, you should put all your passion in to your tasks and people WILL appreciate that.
I think your employer knows what he is doing. You will have simpler tasks than your colleagues. Again if you will be passionate about what you are doing employer won't gonna fire you!
And as I said before to build more or less correct and efficient application it's impossible to do without prior knowledge, to build application you have to know many things other than just coding.
I believe so that your only task will be just analyzing simple problems and coding, and that is the thing person can do even if has 2 week experience. Over time you will get xp, gonna level up(later will understand what I mean by that Cool )
And will kick a** of those who think you cannot do what you are aiming to.
And ask questions! If you don't understand something, don't hesitate ask again! Humility is one of the best driving forces you can learn in your life. Off course, don't make hard life for others, learn the documentation and be patient. At the start better sit down for 2 minutes, think about what you have to do to solve the problem and only then make appropriate corrections.

Also remember - Google is your best friend Wink

Good luck!
standready
Clearly the employer saw something in you. Go learn and don't be afraid to ask questions And listen!