FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SOLVED: By-Pass Sony Vaio Care Rescue?

welshsteve
I have been handed a laptop by somebody who has forgotten their password for the computer. I am trying to boot into safe mode and log on as the local administrator account, but this is disabled. I'm therefore trying to boot to command prompt so I can enable the account. But the damn stupid Sony Vaio Care Rescue kicks in and won't just boot to command prompt. Instead it tries guiding you through recovering your computer. I don't want this as there's nothing wrong with it. Does anyone know how to get around this at all?

EDIT
SOLVED:
I have solved this now by using the Ultimate Boot CD to boot into a linux distro called PartedMagic which has let me reset the password.
deanhills
Wish we could make this into a sticky thread of a kind as I've seen problems like this before. And the solution sounds great.

Where did you get the software from though? The closest I could find was at the URL below:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
welshsteve
That's the one. Download and burn to a CD. Then boot to the CD and choose Parted Magic.

Once loaded up (it looks like a KDE Linux Distro), click the "START" menu equivalent and choose SYSTEM TOOLS, followed by "PC Login Now". Follow the wizard and highlight your username when your given a list. Uncheck "password never expire" if it is checked, and the check the box that says "password is empty". Click "Next" and wait for the prompt about changing another. Once done exit the program. You will then be prompted to reboot the computer. Make sure the CD is out of the drive (some computers will automatically eject the cd when partedmagic boots up initially). The PC will then restart and Windows will then boot up. The password will be blanked out for the user(s) you chose to reset.