FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the most basic item that you DON'T own?

Nameless
If there's one thing that people have a lot of in first world countries, it's stuff. But sometimes you might be surprised to learn what kind of stuff well-off people and families just happen to live without! Let's talk about that.

For example, I don't own any kind of (working) telephone. This hasn't bothered me in the slightest during my day-to-day life, though I imagine I'd more or less need to get one if I wanted to look for a new job or anything.

I've also never bothered to buy a new umbrella since I left my last one on a bus. That was three months ago and I've somehow managed to avoid every single rainfall since. Tonight the sky was even heavily flashing with lightning but during the minutes I stepped onto and off my bus home I was barely drizzled on. Weather, I'm disappointed in you.
Vanilla
I don't have a microwave. My mom always thought that microwaves are worthless things and just increase the amount of energy to be paid for. She says that they're only to make pop-corn. Well, I miss a microwave sometimes, specially when I need to eat something really fast or reheat food. I'm working really hard this time of the year and I really would like to have a microwave. Sad

Also we don't have any kind of DVD players or Blu-Ray players. I don't think we need that kind of stuff now.

Nameless wrote:
For example, I don't own any kind of (working) telephone. This hasn't bothered me in the slightest during my day-to-day life, though I imagine I'd more or less need to get one if I wanted to look for a new job or anything.

I think I use my cellphone more to check on my e-mails than to make calls. Truth. When you have internet, it's easier to send an IM than make a call.
Peterssidan
I don't own a nail clipper. I bite on my finger nails so I would only need it for the toe nails.

I have no TV. I don't need one because there are computers.

I have no valid ID-card. My passport expired 6 month ago but the few times I have used it since then no one have complained.

I also don't have a microwave.
Hello_World
I don't have an air-conditioner. On those days I go to the shopping centre or a pool or even someone else's house.
deanhills
I don't have a micro wave. Never had one in my life. I've always thought it quite cruel to nuke food. Ha! Just noticed Vanilla also does not have a Micro wave but for different reasons. Must say I agree, that would be the only reason I would have missed a micro wave, for making pop corn. Although I haven't had pop corn in a very long time.

Nameless, I can't figure how you can do without an umbrella. I have not needed any in the UAE of course, but in Vancouver, BC Canada I owned about three at the same time. Particularly at this time of the year. Almost an instant reflex in the morning to pop the umbrella open when I leave my place. Thinking about it however if one owned one of those special rain coats with hoods that are designed to keep the rain out of one's face, then it may be more ideal as I've had many a fight with an umbrella, particularly when there is wind and rain at the same time, and the wind pops the umbrella inside out. Most annoying. Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
Oh, lessee...
I have a house and 3 cars, but not a single working air conditioner among them.
I, too, have no umbrella... It's just water, after all... Being wet won't hurt me.
No television hookup at all; no antenna satellite or cable... On the rare occasion I want to watch a TV show, I download it.
Oh, and not a single table in the whole house. I usually just hold what I'm eating.
Nameless
I've always considered air conditioners are luxury rather than a basic item, huh. I don't have a TV anymore either - but I never watched that much and can at least stream low-quality video from the internet. I would be a very sad panda without my landlord's microwave though, it's just so much easier than having to keep an eye on the stove top or waiting for ages for a fire-oven to cook anything.
Peterssidan
I guess if air conditioners counts as basic item depends on the climate you live in. Around here I can't think of anyone who have one at home.
Hello_World
Mmmm. The last few years with the drought and all it waas getting pretty hard to get through without an air-conditioner. Maybe less necessary now the drought is finished.

Well I think a microwave is less useful than an air conditioner, but it is cheaper.
truespeed
I have never owned or used an umbrella,if it rains i wear a waterproof coat with a hood.
davidv
Ear phones.

The only pair I've ever had were the ones that come with your iPod or iPhone, or iX. When they broke, I didn't bother to buy another pair and now that they've been broken I currently don't own a pair of ear phones.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I guess if air conditioners counts as basic item depends on the climate you live in. Around here I can't think of anyone who have one at home.
I guess one would probably die of heat in the Middle East if there were no air conditioning. People won't be able to work. At the same time I think it is very unhealthy. If one could do without air conditioning, I'd be first in line. Ditto heating. When I was in Canada I used to turn off the internal heating during winter in Vancouver, BC. I'd imagine however that one wouldn't be able to do that in Alaska for example.
Blaster
I don't own an umbrella either... seems kinda pointless... its only water after all...

When I lived in my dorm i didn't have a couch or air conditioning.
Greatking
The most basic itemi do not own is a lap top.
i am trying to get some money so i could buy one.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
The most basic itemi do not own is a lap top.
i am trying to get some money so i could buy one.
Wow! That is pretty amazing. Who knows, maybe you will be able to bypass ever owning a lap top and go straight to a tablet?
Nameless
... You know, what some people are considering as basic items is actually more interesting than whether they own them or not.
loremar
Sanity. It's the basic thing that you don't have when you live in a 3rd world country.
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
... You know, what some people are considering as basic items is actually more interesting than whether they own them or not.

Yup Smile
foumy6
for me I don't know if you consider this basic but I don't own a hair brush, or my own straightener (I share with my sister Razz It's not normal I know, so don't be hating Razz) anyway I haven't had a comb or anything for years now luckily my hair isn't that crazy anymore considering I have to keep it shorter for work now Razz
Afaceinthematrix
I do own a lot of stuff. But there are two things here that people mentioned that I also don't own: umbrella (I have no use for one; rain is just water and unless I was wearing an expensive suit I feel more manly without one) and hair straightener (I'm a guy and so I don't generally straighten my hair but if I need to straighten my hair for some sort of costume or something I can borrow my girlfriends straightener. But I haven't straightened my hair for a couple of years - it damages it anyways).

Another thing that I do not own are power tools. Those are basic items depending on what you do - even though there's a hand tool (that I probably own) that can do whatever a power tool can do but much slower. I do a lot of my own work (around the house, on the car, etc.) because I generally do not have the money to pay and have it done) and so I have tons and tons of tools. Wrenches, hammers, sockets, ratchets, saws, screwdrivers, etc. I even have tons of automotive specialty tools. I simply have tons of tools. But I do not have any air powered (I would love a good air compressor and some pneumatic tools) or battery powered tools or corded electric tools. I guess the reason is that I don't generally need them for my own projects and so I've never bothered buying them. Every time I tend to need power tools I'm helping someone else with their project and if I'm helping someone else they can provide the tools.
Helios
Nameless wrote:

Yeah, it's really interesting to read the posts here. I think to myself how amazing it is that nowadays even microwaves for example are considered by some to be a basic item. Heh

I don't have air conditioning and I live in Israel, mind you.
I don't own a microwave as well.
I don't own a car, not even a bicycle. Just my two legs Smile
I shave with a 1.5 year old razor, don't own any spare razors.
I don't have a smartphone!!!
I don't have a facebook account!!! Razz
There are probably more items though...
ankitdatashn
Ahh I dunno if I miss out on any basic item as I thank God for whatever I have, everything seems to be sufficient for me. Okay maybe I can include a paid hosting under this category with sufficient space and ability to run JSP. I miss my contesting website written in JSP, it costed not less than an elephant to maintain! Had to close it down, although still own the domain chalbol.com
BigGeek
Humm, I don't own an umbrella either, but I live in Colorado USA where it is sunny 300 days on average per year, so what's the point.

I don't own a blow dryer for my hair, why I wear it very short. I never buy paper towels, what a waste.

I do buy power tools and have an air compressor, as I do all my own work on my cars and my home, and the tools have paid for themselves many times over with the savings from doing my own repairs. Tools are always a good investment, especially when you use them.

My microwave and lawnmower were given to me, when friends bought new ones and didn't want the old ones, even though they worked fine. My friends wife didn't like the microwave because it was the wrong color for the kitchen - go figure Shocked

My yard is small, and other than the lawn mower I have no power tools for the yard, I use a hand edger, and hand clippers rather than a weed whacker, and I use the good old hedge shears to trim the bushes, rather than an electric trimmer.

Same with my TV and stereo, they were given to me by friends that bought new, latest and greatest stuff, and they were discarding the old, even though it works just fine.

Thing is, I lived without these items for years with no problems, and never felt I needed them, it was my friends that felt I was a minimalist and needed these things so when they were replacing them, they called and asked if I wanted them

Rolling Eyes

I guess I get by with a little help from my friends Very Happy
GoldenEagle
A TV signal. Of course I have a TV for playing video games and watching shows on the internet (from my laptop) but I never signed up to get a TV signal.

Where I am the mountains prevent a good radio signal so you're pretty much stuck with paying the cable company to provide you the radio signal via cable.
sudipbanerjee
I live in West Bengal in India. In my region Air Conditioning Machine, Car, Microwave are not Basic Item. Most of the people doesn't have any PC also. So can anybody explain me which item should we think as Basic Item! If I think my own then I needed an Internet connection in my home, Passport. I don't know whether these should be categorised as Basic Item or not.
Coen
I guess there is nothing basic I lack. I have a place to stay, a bed, blankets, clothing, a chair to sit in and stuff to cook my food. If we call an umbrella basic then I would lack that, but otherwise I think I have pretty much everything I would consider basic.
loremar
Helios wrote:

Yeah, it's really interesting to read the posts here. I think to myself how amazing it is that nowadays even microwaves for example are considered by some to be a basic item. Heh

I don't own a microwave as well.
I don't own a car, not even a bicycle. Just my two legs Smile
I don't have a facebook account!!! Razz
There are probably more items though...

Same here. Very Happy

Except my razor is much older than yours. Heck, when was even the last time I shaved.

Or took a bath? Mr. Green
Afaceinthematrix
BigGeek wrote:
I do buy power tools and have an air compressor, as I do all my own work on my cars and my home, and the tools have paid for themselves many times over with the savings from doing my own repairs. Tools are always a good investment, especially when you use them.

I do all of my own car and home repairs as well - it just takes me a little longer than if I had power tools. I would love an air compressor and pneumatic tools but they're just not in the budget. I can spend about $500+ on an air compressor, hose, impact wrench, and impact sockets, etc. or I can get out my sockets and ratchet (breaker bar if needed). And I don't do a lot of home projects (I've used plenty of power tools by helping my father build shelves, patio furniture and covers, etc.) and so I don't really need the power tools (although some day I'd like a table saw, miter saw, etc.) but I do a lot of basic repairs (plumbing and such) and so I have all the hand tools (wrenches and such). This is mainly because I do not own my own home (yet) and so I simply don't need all of that yet. But I'll own those some day. I've been lucky enough to have gotten most of my tools relatively cheap by being a tool salesman for several years. I can get discounts and such.

Quote:

As for the smart phone, I don't have one. I don't really tend to like electronics. I don't watch television or play video games (although those aren't basic items and so I didn't mention them) and my computer is a decade old! So I definitely don't have a smart phone. And my razor is older than yours (but that's mostly because you don't get a 10 inch (25.4 cm) beard by shaving!). Although I may have to invest in a razor soon because I'm about to graduate from college and I don't think a 10 inch beard really screams "employable" (especially when it's accompanied with hair down my back - which ISN'T coming off).
Insanity
I don't have a pencil. I do everything on computer or with pens nowadays.
pauline5765
I don't have TV. I can watch news from the internet and do more other stuff than watching in TV.

Basically all my stuff are virtual, I can't live without my computer. xD
lovescience
I spilt water on my keyboard.

Now I don't use the keyboard.

Instead I am using on screen keyboard.
coolclay
To sudipbanerjee:
I think for this discussion basic means whatever the majority of your neighbors have that you don't. This can be very different depending on where in the world you live, and who your neighbors and peers are.

Let's see for me I don't have....

TV (even though my house gets free cable)
Cellphone (I do have a pay per minute for emergencies away from home)
A vehicle newer than 1981
Washer/dryer
Umbrella (but I have raincoats/pants)
Coffee maker
Dishwasher (Besides myself)

It's crazy what have become basic items in the last couple years!
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
To sudipbanerjee:
I think for this discussion basic means whatever the majority of your neighbors have that you don't. This can be very different depending on where in the world you live, and who your neighbors and peers are.

Let's see for me I don't have....

TV (even though my house gets free cable)
Cellphone (I do have a pay per minute for emergencies away from home)
A vehicle newer than 1981
Washer/dryer
Umbrella (but I have raincoats/pants)
Coffee maker
Dishwasher (Besides myself)

It's crazy what have become basic items in the last couple years!
Aha. Looks as though there are more items that I don't have that I was not thinking off. I don't have a washer/dryer, coffee maker, kettle, dishwasher and carpets.
saratdear
I don't own a pen Razz I usually borrow.

I don't own a trimmer. Can come in useful when my beard becomes unmanageable.

I don't own a smartphone - which is not a basic item, I agree, but at the current rate my classmates are going, will turn out to be.

And yeah, I don't have a laptop.
ujjwalshrestha
Who needs TV if you can watch it in your computer?

I don't buy books and newspaper anymore. I can do all my reading online.

I gave up my car 3 year ago - I walk or use public transport now and never miss driving.

I don't use umbrella - love walking in the rain.

I don't have toaster - I love my bread as it is.
LegendVPN
You'd be surprised to know what I don't have right now.

Yup, I currently don't have that right now. The refrigerator here broke down. Still saving money to buy a new one.
LegendVPN
lovescience wrote:
I spilt water on my keyboard.

Now I don't use the keyboard.

Instead I am using on screen keyboard.

Isn't that difficult? Wait. Are you using a phone or desktop?
loremar
LegendVPN wrote:
You'd be surprised to know what I don't have right now.

Yup, I currently don't have that right now. The refrigerator here broke down. Still saving money to buy a new one.

We never have one... Ever... Nobody even knows how to cook at home.
I'm suffering poverty for 24 years now. An internet connection is all the luxury I have.
Greatking
i dont have a micro wave.
i am saving some money this year so i can own one.
soljarag
truespeed wrote:
I have never owned or used an umbrella,if it rains i wear a waterproof coat with a hood.

Same here... a rain coat is better than an umbrella.. hands free, and it covers more than an umbrella
AlexJ
i do not think so any.......but i don't have a car.....if you think it is basic thing then i dont have this...
LegendVPN
AlexJ wrote:
i do not think so any.......but i don't have a car.....if you think it is basic thing then i dont have this...

I don't have a car either. If that's of any consolation.
Hello_World
loremar what do you eat? Do you eat takeaway all the time then?
loremar
Hello_World wrote:
loremar what do you eat? Do you eat takeaway all the time then?

Most of the time. Some canned goods as well. I know how to cook rice though. Smile
Hello_World
No fridge sucks, really. Cooking for yourself is so much healthier...
Mr_Howl
Wow, I can't imagine not having an air conditioner. I live in New England, which is generally cold, but as soon as the weather crosses 85 degrees (29.4 for you Celsius folks) I need that thing or I'll be sweating. I can't imagine living in an actual HOT climate and not having A/C. How would you sleep?

Anyway, I don't have a car (hooray for public transportation). The most basic thing I don't have would probably be a mop. My apartment is mostly carpeted, so I don't really need one. But if there's a spill or something, I do have a swiffer and sponges. Smile
bukaida
I donot have a microwave as I think it is unhealthy to have the microwave cooked food regularly .Although the aspect is debatable and lot of people would not agree with me. It is not that I cannot afford it, but I will not. Moreover it consumes sufficient electricity, which is also costly here.

One more thing I do not have is, a car. It is sometimes very difficult for my elderly parents to move in public transport. But as the Taxi and Cabs are available in plenty of numbers, and are cheap
( compared to maintaining own car), I am still confused.

Also I donot have a vacuum cleaner. The floors are broomed and mopped manually as the manual labour is not very costly here.
Hello_World
Mr_Howl it is the same here, cold most of the year, but mostly over 30 in summer and many 40+ (104) celcius days...

A couple of years ago it hit 47 degrees celcius (116.6) oh my that was insane.

Not only is sleeping a problem but also you can't just go on about your business really, you are feeling hot and bothered, it is a struggle to do anything without air conditioning.

Well I couldn't do without a mop or a vaccuum.

Or a fridge....
Tuvitor
I don't own a car or a functioning DTV capable television set.
spinout
i don't own a cell phone with mms function
alvarorojas4
A digital camera, simple, but i don't have one... I want one! Sad
IceCreamTruck
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
hair straightener (I'm a guy

roflcopter! ... ahhhh, sorry ... you made me laugh, Afaceinthematrix!
IceCreamTruck
deodorant/antiperspirant -- I don't own or use any. I am almost never hot, cold everywhere I go here, and I have never really had the need. It's considered "basic" in America -- part of every travel kit.
standready
Well, my 12 year old microwave called it quits last night. Not really a basic item because you can cook/prepare same things on a conventional range/stove/oven just not as fast.
I think I am 'household item jinked' at the moment. First, coffee maker then one TV now the microwave.
deanhills
standready wrote:
First, coffee maker then one TV now the microwave.
Water heater still OK? Twisted Evil
Rajat_Pawar
I don't have a comb. Wierd. I just ruffle up my hair after a bath, I would love to get one. Very Happy
miteY
What is considered basic is definitely a function of your neighborhood, etc.

I don't own all of the following

a comb

a smartphone (everyone is going crazy over BBs and Iphones nowadays)

a desktop PC (though I plan to get one soon for heavier stuff)

a shoe rack, no many shoes to hang anyways

a wristwatch (I have my phone & laptop, so what's the use?)

There are probably some other stuff that I don't have, but I guess the important thing is not about having or not, but whether you are comfortable the way you are now.
Afaceinthematrix
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
hair straightener (I'm a guy

roflcopter! ... ahhhh, sorry ... you made me laugh, Afaceinthematrix!

Well somebody mentioned a hair straightener and I don't see that as a basic item for anyone... let alone for a guy... But I'm glad I could make you laugh!
Vanilla
Mr_Howl wrote:
Wow, I can't imagine not having an air conditioner. I live in New England, which is generally cold, but as soon as the weather crosses 85 degrees (29.4 for you Celsius folks) I need that thing or I'll be sweating. I can't imagine living in an actual HOT climate and not having A/C. How would you sleep?

This is simple: you don't. I use to live in a place with temperatures above 50C (that's 122F). Air conditioner was not a luxury, but a very basic item. Also, with the air conditioner on the mosquitoes didn't bite you. I don't know how to explain that, but I think they don't like the cold produced by an AC! Laughing

Helios wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I'm working with heat stress in dairy cattle and the majority of the scientific papers about this topic come from Israel. You got some pretty hot cows up there. Also the guy whose works are the most important in this area is an Israeli guy, named Zvi Roth. He came to my country last week for a series of lectures about heat stress and I couldn't afford to go. Sad

I also don't have:
a blow dryer and a hair straightener: I'm a girl with very very VERY long hair. I think these things will ruin my medieval-lady-hair.
a car - not even a license
good Internet connection - I'm currently using my cellphone as a modem. The velocity is almost the same as a dial up connection.
psychorollercoaster
a car (as yet) ...if it could be considered a basic necessity.
rjraaz
Basic item that i do not have is Bicycle and do not think to have anyone for me.