FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Has bondings given up on frihost?





truespeed
In an age where everyone has smart phones and access to the internet is at your fingertips all the time,bondings has gone awol.

We have a host that offers free domains with nobody to issue them,a host that offers free hosting,with nobody to verify them,we have had an attempt by the users to up their post count to stop the decline,but is it all in vain?
deanhills
Good question Truespeed. I'm very despondent as Bondings is one of the main motivations why I got stuck at Frihost. He did say he would be coming back to post, so obviously wants to but can't get to it. I MISS Bondings.
Insanity
Well, this site has grown surprisingly big. I'm sure he has other things to deal with.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
He did say he would be coming back to post, so obviously wants to but can't get to it.


Assuming he's not ill,why couldn't someone who wanted to go on the net not go on the net?

Which is why i suggested he's just got bored of it,which after nearly 7 years its not surprising.

Insanity wrote:
Well, this site has grown surprisingly big. I'm sure he has other things to deal with.


So delegate, there's a need for more account creators and more moderators.

Yes its a freehost,so you could argue people shouldn't expect the same level of service as a paid host,but why not,they don't pay with cash,but they do pay with their time,which for those posting for a domain (350 points) adds up to quite a lot of time.
loremar
Well, the very reason why Stonerocket was closing their free hosting is because they are no longer earning much from their forums to support their expenses for their servers because of the recent economic crisis. It's not impossible that frihost is also experiencing the same problems.

We should expect for the worst. For me, I'd still come here to post even without the free hosting.
tingkagol
Shocked

Frihost don't go! Not now!
(now that I have something substantial planned for my webspace)
truespeed
Stonerocket doesn't seem to be a high traffic site,currently it has 90 users online for the past 60 minutes,frihost currently has 106 users online for the past 5 minutes,if frihost did their stats to the hour i imagine they would be over 1000,probably 2000+ at peak times.

Also stonerocket only has 157000 posts compared to frihosts 1 million +,so more posts = more guest traffic = more ad revenue. .
tingkagol
truespeed wrote:
Stonerocket doesn't seem to be a high traffic site,currently it has 90 users online for the past 60 minutes,frihost currently has 106 users online for the past 5 minutes,if frihost did their stats to the hour i imagine they would be over 1000,probably 2000+ at peak times.

Also stonerocket only has 157000 posts compared to frihosts 1 million +,so more posts = more guest traffic = more ad revenue. .

But guests still have to click the ads don't they?

Sometimes I can't even find where the ads are located. *Ah... I see one near the footer right now.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
He did say he would be coming back to post, so obviously wants to but can't get to it.


Assuming he's not ill,why couldn't someone who wanted to go on the net not go on the net?

Which is why i suggested he's just got bored of it,which after nearly 7 years its not surprising.
You've got a VERY good point truespeed, except I'd replace "assuming he's not ill" with "assuming he is not dead". I can't imagine him ever getting bored with Frihost. More like something that means a lot to him, that he only want to be present in when he can be present in a perfectly time wise.

loremar wrote:
Well, the very reason why Stonerocket was closing their free hosting is because they are no longer earning much from their forums to support their expenses for their servers because of the recent economic crisis. It's not impossible that frihost is also experiencing the same problems.

We should expect for the worst. For me, I'd still come here to post even without the free hosting.

I wouldn't compare Stonerocket with Frihost. Check Stonerocket and it is almost tiny in comparison with Frihost. It has a total of 157,000 posts. It has/had only one server. Frihost has over a million posts and four servers. If we stopped posting Frihost would endure advertising wise for a number of years. I doubt Stonerocket will be able to last that long. The fact that the owner of Stonerocket has been referring his members to Frihost for Website space also says to me that he has faith in the future of Frihost.
truespeed
tingkagol wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Stonerocket doesn't seem to be a high traffic site,currently it has 90 users online for the past 60 minutes,frihost currently has 106 users online for the past 5 minutes,if frihost did their stats to the hour i imagine they would be over 1000,probably 2000+ at peak times.

Also stonerocket only has 157000 posts compared to frihosts 1 million +,so more posts = more guest traffic = more ad revenue. .

But guests still have to click the ads don't they?

Sometimes I can't even find where the ads are located. *Ah... I see one near the footer right now.


If you log out and click on a thread you see lots of ads.
tingkagol
I've viewed the forum without logging in before. I guess I've developed a special blindness to Google ads. Cool

As for Stonerocket, I've browsed their site a bit. It seems posting to remain hosted isn't as stringent compared to Frihost. They have no point system of some sort that gradually decreases through time. All they require is the initial 10 posts from prospective users. Perhaps that's what caused their downfall?
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
As for Stonerocket, I've browsed their site a bit. It seems posting to remain hosted isn't as stringent compared to Frihost. They have no point system of some sort that gradually decreases through time. All they require is the initial 10 posts from prospective users. Perhaps that's what caused their downfall?
Right. There is no point system in place and people only needed 10 quality posts to get hosted.
bukaida
Once he mentioned that he will be busy with his studies for quite sometime. Don't know if that is the cause. May be someone from the Mods have an answer.
foumy6
I have been wondering this for a while. I have sent him multiple pm's and I have also asked for a url change for my site and havnt heard or gotten anything back though I have only been waiting a little over a week. I hope that he returns soon.
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
I hope that he returns soon.
Me too! By the way, I really like your new Avatar. Did you design it yourself?
Blaster
There is way more as to why stonerocket is closing that you guys don't know. The reason he is referring them here is Chris (DJB) and Bondings were once friends on another host. I talked to chris and told him to send his traffic this way.

They had a different set up over there. They would do an account cleanup for people who didn't come back which happened quarterly.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I talked to chris and told him to send his traffic this way.
Good for you Blaster! Dancing
tingkagol
Blaster wrote:
There is way more as to why stonerocket is closing that you guys don't know.

Well, since we probably have ample time before Bondings gets back, would you care to share that information? You know, just so us Frihosters would know the 'post 2 host' hosting scheme isn't dead?
foumy6
deanhills wrote:
foumy6 wrote:
I hope that he returns soon.
Me too! By the way, I really like your new Avatar. Did you design it yourself?


No its the logo for legend of the green dragon which is an online text based rpg. I am currently trying to get my frihost url changed so that I can re open my server which was shut down before as you already saw in my blog post waiting.... Razz

But I have also decided that if he does not return by the time I have 300 coins I will be turning to another host because by then my server will have been down for a long time and I will have lost a lot of players.

Bondings where are you!!!!
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Blaster wrote:
There is way more as to why stonerocket is closing that you guys don't know.

Well, since we probably have ample time before Bondings gets back, would you care to share that information? You know, just so us Frihosters would know the 'post 2 host' hosting scheme isn't dead?
Excellent question tingkagol. I'm curious as well.
crystalkey
I would like to know as well. It appears that the free hosting setup has met with reality. Unless there is st least 'some' revenue to offset costs, then the interest in providing the service lessens.
Navigator
Frihost FTW!
standready
crystalkey wrote:
It appears that the free hosting setup has met with reality. Unless there is st least 'some' revenue to offset costs.

Here there are Google ads to generate revenue. A few years back, Bondings decided to limit them to just the bottom of the topic. Often funny what type of ad appears for a topic.
Blaster
tingkagol wrote:
Blaster wrote:
There is way more as to why stonerocket is closing that you guys don't know.

Well, since we probably have ample time before Bondings gets back, would you care to share that information? You know, just so us Frihosters would know the 'post 2 host' hosting scheme isn't dead?

Not to get into many things but he lost interest in advertising and such. It takes a lot to keep a free host going. Also there wasn't as many regular members. It was more people coming and leaving.
Ryox
Frihost is nice, but because BONDINGS is not showing up and helping his community and not advertising anymore, the site is probably gonna die out soon, just with Regular Members. It's not enough to hold down the Fort, maybe BONDINGS should hire some more Mods, Admins and some more advertisers If he ever shows up again!

Since he created this site, he would probably be lurking around somewhere but with Reality you can never know anymore!
william
Yes.



Sorry, someone had to do it.

I have to commend Bondings for actually keeping up with Frihost for this long. If I was providing a service like this and either breaking even or losing money, I would have lost interest about two years ago. Keeping something alive on the internet for six years is no small feat. It seems that he's busy with other matters, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Without Bondings, Frihost definitely slows down. I really do think we should have members designated to take care of some of the jobs Bondings does.

Also, just another point that this thread reminded me of. Is Frihost at least breaking even in terms of operating costs? I mean, the ads are just small boxes on the footers of the the threads. If it isn't, I really wouldn't mind a few more ads on the forums (just to keep Frihost going).
foumy6
Well bondings is still around because I got a pm for my subdomain change from him today so he is still here just in the background Smile
k_s_baskar
Yes. atlast he came back. Smile
deanhills
foumy6 wrote:
Well bondings is still around because I got a pm for my subdomain change from him today so he is still here just in the background Smile
I'm REALLY happy about that. Would have hated you to leave as this is a really good place to be.

Looks as though the crowd over at StoneRocket reported positively as well. We're on the roll Cool:
belltown wrote:
I now have my Frihost account activated! I just got a PM from Bondings with all the details. It looks like they're starting to get caught up with account sign-ups. Thanks for the recommendation.
Blaster
deanhills wrote:


Looks as though the crowd over at StoneRocket reported positively as well. We're on the roll Cool:

You can thank a past admin for that Wink
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
deanhills wrote:


Looks as though the crowd over at StoneRocket reported positively as well. We're on the roll Cool:

You can thank a past admin for that Wink
Right. And in particular kudos to the owner of StoneRocket for recommending Frihost as an alternative home. Cool
johans
when i started at frihost. Frih$ is not active anymore..

I just read the forum regarding the history of Frih$
belltown
I think Bondings must be back because I just got a PM from him approving my application for a Frihost account. I think he has been trapped in an aquarium (http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132137.html), but hopefully he has managed to escape and will be around for a long time to provide the fine services of Frihost that I have heard so many good things about.
deanhills
belltown wrote:
I think Bondings must be back because I just got a PM from him approving my application for a Frihost account. I think he has been trapped in an aquarium (http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132137.html), but hopefully he has managed to escape and will be around for a long time to provide the fine services of Frihost that I have heard so many good things about.
Laughing A good one .....
LostOverThere
I'm sure Frihost will be fine. It's been around for - what - 6 years now? Like others have said, 6 years on the internet is no small feat.
tidruG
Bondings is alive. I see him on MSN every now and then. He's just busy because Frihost is obviously not his full-time employment. Mine neither, for that matter. Smile

Bondings posts much less, and he has delegated the moderation of the forum to others. He mostly comes in to check up on things, to create accounts or to change sub-domains. I'm back on the site now too. So I'll be monitoring the activity levels over the next few days and we'll see if we need more moderators or account creators.

My advice to you all would be not to PM Bondings as much as possible. If you have an issue with your hosting or a question about Frihost, post it in the appropriate forums and someone will surely answer for you. If you do need to PM someone, PM an active member of the staff, a Moderator or an Admin. The less crap we load on Bondings' plate, the more likely he is to have time to make real posts. Wink
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
My advice to you all would be not to PM Bondings as much as possible. If you have an issue with your hosting or a question about Frihost, post it in the appropriate forums and someone will surely answer for you. If you do need to PM someone, PM an active member of the staff, a Moderator or an Admin. The less crap we load on Bondings' plate, the more likely he is to have time to make real posts. Wink
It may be helpful if you could list the names of the actively posting admin people we could write to? Wink It makes sense that if there were regular admin staff who were attending to people's enquiries in the Support Forums regularly, they wouldn't need to write to anyone at all, including the admin staff (I'm totally curious who they are). We have not had a dedicated admin like mOrpheuS looking after technical enquiries in the Support Forums since June of this year. Bondings is the only person attending to technical support queries of the kind mentioned below. And if Bondings is the only one attending to technical support queries in the Support Forums, then it is logical people will be writing to him. They may not even know he is the owner of the Website, all they see is his name against the kind of solutions they are looking for.

Other Frihosters can help with basic technical enquiries, but they can't attend to detailed ones that are unique to Frihost only. Such as the one at the link below for example:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-131836.html
tidruG
That's true. While I wish I could offer more support on the technical issues, I wouldn't be able to, because I'm not technically proficient.

In any case, it's always better to PM a moderator or an admin instead of Bondings, and leave the escalation to us. As for the list of active staff members, you'll see them around the forums, posting. Just message the ones who appear to be around, replying to posts.
Ryox
Proven Fact, I saw Bondings and Deanhills! <<<

Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:
The soup sounds to die for, particularly winter time. I can see it standing on the stove all day long for snack food too. Very Happy

Yes indeed. I actually sometimes eat it as breakfast. Cool


Lol for laughs.. Hehehe

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-132158.html
deanhills
Right. But you've just missed out on another miracle. I've seen the "Retired Admin" changing to "Administrator" in tidruG's banner. This is indeed AWESOME news for Frihost! And it has just made Deanhills very happy. Dancing

PS: tidruG maybe it is time to lock this thread. Very Happy
tidruG
deanhills wrote:
I've seen the "Retired Admin" changing to "Administrator" in tidruG's banner.
I think someone else noticed it before you did. Don't remember who, though. In any case, no cause for celebration yet. I'm working full-time now and I may not have as much time to post as I did over the last couple of days because of the weekend.
deanhills
tidruG wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I've seen the "Retired Admin" changing to "Administrator" in tidruG's banner.
I think someone else noticed it before you did. Don't remember who, though. In any case, no cause for celebration yet. I'm working full-time now and I may not have as much time to post as I did over the last couple of days because of the weekend.
OK. So perhaps better to keep this thread open then .... just in case ... Twisted Evil
Asap170
Remember, Bondings does this on the side I believe. Also he is not the only one who can issue hosting to new users. It is sad not to see him around lately, but nice that Dean stuck around!
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Remember, Bondings does this on the side I believe. Also he is not the only one who can issue hosting to new users. It is sad not to see him around lately, but nice that Dean stuck around!
Thanks Asap. Bondings has been the only one to issue hosting since June as none of the admin staff have been around. So of course when he was away that created a double jeopardy of sorts. But it looks as though tidruG is able to assist (for now), hence my great happiness. I can't understand why the guys who have been set up to create accounts aren't here though. Must be one of the greatest services one could perform. I'd say it is easier and much more satisfying to create accounts than to moderate the forums, i.e. delete/ban spammers and spam vs making people happy with creating accounts for them.
standready
I will just add a "welcome back" to tidruG! Good to see you once again.
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
Remember, Bondings does this on the side I believe. Also he is not the only one who can issue hosting to new users. It is sad not to see him around lately, but nice that Dean stuck around!
Thanks Asap. Bondings has been the only one to issue hosting since June as none of the admin staff have been around. So of course when he was away that created a double jeopardy of sorts. But it looks as though tidruG is able to assist (for now), hence my great happiness. I can't understand why the guys who have been set up to create accounts aren't here though. Must be one of the greatest services one could perform. I'd say it is easier and much more satisfying to create accounts than to moderate the forums, i.e. delete/ban spammers and spam vs making people happy with creating accounts for them.


Well if Bondings makes a call for Account Creators I definitely will apply, because I love Frihost and we must keep them alive!
tidruG
standready wrote:
I will just add a "welcome back" to tidruG! Good to see you once again.
Thank you. Smile I'll take a few days to understand how things are, and then we'll figure out what needs to be done.
brandon02852
Bondings just accepted my hosting request. Do you mean that he isn't active on the forums or not active on Frihost at all???
deanhills
brandon02852 wrote:
Bondings just accepted my hosting request. Do you mean that he isn't active on the forums or not active on Frihost at all???
Not active on the Forums at the time when the thread was started. He is obviously active right now, particularly if has accepted your hosting request as well.
mathiaus
deanhills wrote:
I can't understand why the guys who have been set up to create accounts aren't here though. Must be one of the greatest services one could perform. I'd say it is easier and much more satisfying to create accounts than to moderate the forums, i.e. delete/ban spammers and spam vs making people happy with creating accounts for them.

It is these very naughty Account Creators you should be shouting at, not Bondings! Power is delegated for a reason.

Also Account Creators were moderators with extra power. One cannot simply spend all their time approving requests, although even that process involves moderating the posts of the user requesting an account.


Anyway, seems Bondings isn't dead, is still active (just not always visible) and Frihost is still going strong, no need to panic! Very Happy
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:
Anyway, seems Bondings isn't dead, is still active (just not always visible) and Frihost is still going strong, no need to panic! Very Happy
Absolutely. Perhaps one of the Mods could lock this thread?
mathiaus
-lock-
Related topics
Windows Vista Official Thread
Photoshop/Gimp contest: Bondings' FACE!!
Rank images contest
So, you are lazy to download a FTP program eh?
Bondings-fan-site!!!!!
promoting your website
Levels of Frihost Addiction
[official] Feedback for the Frihost Staff
Who do you think Bondings is?
PLEASE CLOSE - Open Letter of Invitation to FriHost Staff...
Is this something frihost should be worried about.
Bondings is back!
Where is Bondings?
No Hosting Yet Points Decreasing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.