FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

China's emergency bricks

splintercdo
It's a bit funny Smile , but true,

China is introducing emergency exits disguised as bricks!
It's low tech but, hey if it works it works Smile
Emergency devices Laughing are yellow with red Chinese characters written on them that translate to “for emergency use".
Approximately 300 of 700 buses of Heilongjiang province are equipped with this technology, here is more info: http://inventorspot.com/articles/chinas_buses_include_diy_emergency_exits_disguised_bricks
deanhills
Quite interesting, but how safe could it be to use a brick to crack open the window glass, particularly for the one who is going to use the brick? I guess they are hoping the person will throw it maybe? I would personally prefer something with a handle attached to it, or a window that is designed in a way that all one has to do is to give it a good push.
Very Happy
splintercdo
Yes, I agree, it might be dangerous to try to break window of a bus with a brick!
But, I think, if there is a question of life and death, then people won't be afraid to cut their hand or get some another minor injury! So it's a question of perspective Wink
Nameless
Quote:
Wouldn't a purpose-built hammer be easier for stunned and shocked accident victims to use? Perhaps, but... “The special hammers are expensive and people were always stealing them,” explained a spokesperson from the Harbin Public Transport Company. “We don’t think anybody will be interested in stealing bricks.” Famous last words?

I give it a week at most before a story comes through about somebody building a doghouse or something from stolen emergency bricks. Razz
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't a purpose-built hammer be easier for stunned and shocked accident victims to use? Perhaps, but... “The special hammers are expensive and people were always stealing them,” explained a spokesperson from the Harbin Public Transport Company. “We don’t think anybody will be interested in stealing bricks.” Famous last words?

I give it a week at most before a story comes through about somebody building a doghouse or something from stolen emergency bricks. Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing VERY funny!!!!

Alternatively, some of the Government pavements may be missing bricks as the bricks are now being used in public transportation.
inuyasha
There are hammers(with a handle, of course, as Deanhill have mentioned) for emergency use in public transportation. But sometimes passangers use them as nutcrackers and some were even brought back home.
tidruG
I'm not so concerned about how the bricks are going to be used as I am with 2 other questions—
  1. How long will they last? If they're just like ordinary bricks painted yellow, a good chance that they will get corroded and suffer a lot of wear/tear over time, thus becoming useless by the time they are required.
  2. Will they be effective? In order to break windowpane glass, these bricks have got to be really tough and thrown with enough effort. After an accident, people may not be able to think straight and use them properly. Besides, what if the brick breaks before the glass does?
ocalhoun
tidruG wrote:
Besides, what if the brick breaks before the glass does?

The momentum of the broken pieces should still put more strain on the glass than it can handle and break it.
(Assuming the brick is of adequate weight and propelled with adequate force to break the glass in the first place.)
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
There are hammers(with a handle, of course, as Deanhill have mentioned) for emergency use in public transportation. But sometimes passangers use them as nutcrackers and some were even brought back home.
Wow .... has to be a very chaotic situation in those coaches when people are hammering nuts and swinging hammers. Can't have a very clean result either. I can't see that happening with the Dubai Metro. There are army guards stationed everywhere. They are actively checking that people don't eat, drink or use some of the emergency equipment "for fun".
tidruG
ocalhoun wrote:
The momentum of the broken pieces should still put more strain on the glass than it can handle and break it.
(Assuming the brick is of adequate weight and propelled with adequate force to break the glass in the first place.)
It's silly to imagine that the brick wouldn't be strong enough to break the glass, yes, but I don't know...I remain unconvinced. Surely, as time passes, the bricks are more likely to become softer/corroded/weaker.
mathiaus
splintercdo wrote:
Approximately 300 of 700 buses of Heilongjiang province are equipped with this technology, here is more info: http://inventorspot.com/articles/chinas_buses_include_diy_emergency_exits_disguised_bricks

Since when has yellow painted bricks been considered a technology?

This just seems another desperate measure taken as a result of idiots stealing important equipment...
ocalhoun
mathiaus wrote:

Since when has yellow painted bricks been considered a technology?

4500 BC?
90dota
so, there is no funny things in your own C.u.n.t.r.y?
fuzzkaizer
Maybe it's just a matter of time until western tourist discover the beauty of those life-saving bricks! Shure there'd be some people who start their own chinese brick collection!
inuyasha
90dota wrote:
so, there is no funny things in your own C.u.n.t.r.y?

Question What did you mean by your reply? I don't really understand but it seems to me you were more or less annoyed.
nguyenvulong
Anti-China protesters gathered Saturday in Tokyo and six other major cities in Japan to rally against what it calls an invasion of disputed islands that both claim are part of their territories.

Protesters held up Japanese flags and chanted, "We will not allow Communist China to invade our territory."

Beijing says the Diaoyu Islands and most of the South China Sea belong to China, disputing neighboring countries' claims. In Japan, the islands are known as the Senkaku.

The rally was organized by Toshio Tamogami, a former Japanese chief of staff for the Self Defense Force.
as CNN
silverdown
Laughing tho what it it fell out during a barrel roll? Shocked they got a backup? Laughing
ocalhoun
tidruG wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
It's silly to imagine that the brick wouldn't be strong enough to break the glass, yes, but I don't know...I remain unconvinced. Surely, as time passes, the bricks are more likely to become softer/corroded/weaker.

The point is, even a crumbly brick would break a window if heavy enough and thrown at it hard enough.
And really... A brick is likely to outlast the bus it's placed in anyway.
milkshake01
deanhills wrote:
Quite interesting, but how safe could it be to use a brick to crack open the window glass, particularly for the one who is going to use the brick? I guess they are hoping the person will throw it maybe? I would personally prefer something with a handle attached to it, or a window that is designed in a way that all one has to do is to give it a good push.
Very Happy

I agree. Hammers may not be 100 percent safe as well. What about a Window that can be opened for emergency use?
zaxacongrejo
why not biger glass hamers?
laminated glass will probably hold the bricks