FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wearing glasses is kind of annoying

davidv
So a while ago I made a post asking your opinion on my eyesight.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-129777.html

Anyway it's been a while since that last post and I thought I'd give you guys an update and I guess to rant a little bit about how wearing glasses are annoying.

So, the update. My eyesight hasn't returned to normal but I'm okay with wearing glasses. Kind of.

Rant: First, who here does wear glasses? It's annoying sometimes, isn't it? Especially when it's hot and you're sweating and then some how a drop of sweat lands on your lens, or worse when it's raining. I also really find it annoying when I'm eating hot foods. The steam fogs up the lens and distracts me from the food but more importantly, whatever show I'm watching on T.V. Laughing

How about when you're reading with your face towards tilted downwards? After a while your glasses tends to move and you have to readjust it from time to time. What about when you're running? Again, you'll need to readjust it from time to time and it just gets really annoying after a while. Now combine running, sweating, foggy lenses rainy weather and you have a recipe for disaster.

Although none of the above can compare to FINGERPRINTS. Evil or Very Mad

So, my question. How do you guys and gals deal with these little annoyances your glasses cause? I'm current working as a chef and the kitchen can get very hot and steamy. Many a time I've had to stop everything I'm doing and clear up my lenses to see what I'm cooking...
deanhills
Why not just go for laser surgery. I have not had problems with eye sight, but if you're a sports man or bothered with the heat and in the outdoors a lot, I'd definitely go for laser surgery to correct your eye sight. So you don't have to be bothered with either glasses or contacts.
menino
I think glasses take getting used to, I guess.
Lasik surgery for eyesight could be an option.

I dont like wearing glasses, not even shades in the bright hot sun in the middle east, but sometimes I have to.

Besides.... shades make me look a little more dashing. Cool
rjraaz
menino wrote:
Lasik surgery for eyesight could be an option.

I dont like wearing glasses, not even shades in the bright hot sun in the middle east, but sometimes I have to.

Besides.... shades make me look a little more dashing. Cool

Lasik aurgery is not suitable for everyone and have some restriction or somewhat risky.

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061366.htm

I hope it clear all the points about lasik surgery.
Nameless
I wear (large) glasses all the time and I don't think I've ever had a drop of sweat fall onto them, though I often get oily skin and have to occasionally wipe the top of my nose with a tissue or something to stop my glasses slipping down. As for rain, I just take them off until I'm back inside - my vision isn't so bad that I can't function without them, fortunately. Steam isn't a problem where I work but sometimes I do have to look over the top of my glasses when I've come out of the freezer for too long and they fog up. 99% of the time I don't even notice them anymore. It's not entirely uncommon for me to lie down in bed at night, pause for several seconds with a vague niggling feeling, then realise that I haven't taken them off yet.

The only time you should be getting fingerprints on your glasses is if they've just protected you from a ninja assassin gouging your eyes out. Very Happy

But yeah, if glasses are a serious nuisance with your lifestyle then you should at least try out contact lenses for a few weeks.
magnustoday
I agree, wearing glasses is annoying. I have error of refraction since high school and I've prescribed with correction glasses. However, I prefer to wear contact lenses when I go out. I only wear glasses when I'm at home. If I've saved enough money, I'd go for LASIK surgery.
Hello_World
I just take them off in the rain.

They get loose after a while and I take them in to tighten them so they don't slip down my face. They do I for free I discovered.

I don't find them a big burden, except at this point I only have straight glasses and if it is glary I have to choose to either wear glasses or non-prescription sunglasses. This will be fixed next time I invest in glasses, I will get transitions, hopefully this works.
davidv
deanhills wrote:
Why not just go for laser surgery.

To be blunt. I can't on my own, afford the surgery and it wasn't something suggested by my optometrist (my knowledge on the anatomy of my eyes is very limited to the basic biology I learnt during high school Laughing). My eyesight aren't all that bad. It's just the glasses I don't like wearing.

menino wrote:

Been wearing them for probably 4 months now. I guess it's taking me a very long time to get use to.

Quote:
I often get oily skin and have to occasionally wipe the top of my nose with a tissue or something to stop my glasses slipping down

Yes. This too! I forgot to mentioned this but this always happens to be me. Although, I never have tissues around.

Hello_World wrote:
if glasses are a serious nuisance with your lifestyle then you should at least try out contact lenses for a few weeks.

Contact lenses reminds me of a story about a famous basketballer who infected his eye because he lost his contacts during a game. When he found it, he licked it (to clean it...Shocked) to which then placed it back upon his eyes. Kind of grossed out by that.

Nameless wrote:
I just take them off in the rain.

The problem is, where do I put them? I don't always carry the case with me and if I hang it on my collar, it's going to get wet anyway so I may as well just wear it. Nowaday, I usually wear a beanie and that sort of protects my glasses from getting wet (when it's sprinkling) so it's really no problem except of course when I don't wear a beanie or when it's pouring.
Timothy
I think wearing glass feels annoying at first but by the passage of time it becomes your habit and you don't feel any uneasiness. But some people prefer to have contact lenses specially young females. I think wearing contact lenses is more annoying than wearing glasses.
davidv
Timothy wrote:
But some people prefer to have contact lenses specially young females.

Source?
Greatking
i dont wear glasses, my sister does, and i see how she manages it.
its not so easy but if its what you have to go by as a way of seeing then i guess you have adjust.
if the steam is clogging up the glasses, you take them off and clean then you put them back on.
or you could have surgery as suggested above.
it is uncomfortable so adjust.
Nameless
Here's a new one I've discovered tonight: Walking home at night and stepping face-first into a cobweb is pretty unpleasant usually, but having the webs stick to your glasses and not so easily brushed away makes it just that little bit more annoying!
FastDebrid
I only wear sunglasses not eyeglasses. I find them stylish but I don't like it when it leaves a mark on my nose when I take it off.