FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you have a quote you like?

lovescience
Do you have a quote you like?

Do you have a quote you like for today?
Hello_World
My favourite quote is in my signature. Today my favourite is:

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac."

Also George Orwell.
tingkagol
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."

- some dude named Epictetus
loyal
It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. - Mill
deanhills
Quote:
I've always looked upon politics as a very boring thing. Politics never interested me as much as the people involved in it.

Pat Oliphant

Pat Oliphant is a cartoonist

SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
one that i remember someone having as they signature on posts on a forum was

"there are only 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary and those that don't" always liked that
jajarvin
'What does it matter what you say about people?'
Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, 1958).
zOSHelpForums
The problem is that you think you've time - Budha.
BigGeek
In my signature line: Carlos Castaneda character Don Juan:
Nothing tempers the spirit of a warrior more than dealing with impossible people in positions of power!

From my perspective this is so true: If you want to learn patients, tenacity, self control, leniency, and timing - deal with a tyrant, an impossible person in a position of power. Shocked
zarawatsonn
My best quote is:

Life is not Permanent, Don't take it so serious!!!

I read this in a newspaper last year...
SonLight
One quote I remember, from a 1965 newspaper headline I believe:

"World peace marred by five wars"

I'm still laughing about that one. Except when I'm crying about it.
amagard
Found today:

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

Soren Kierkegaard (1813 - 1855), Danish philosopher
deanhills
"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Hamlet/Shakespeare

Quote:
Hamlet:
What have you, my good friends, deserv’d at the hands of
Fortune, that she sends you to prison hither?

Guildenstern:
Prison, my lord?

Hamlet:
Denmark’s a prison.

Rosencrantz:
Then is the world one.

Hamlet:
A goodly one, in which there are many confines, wards, and
dungeons, Denmark being one o’ th’ worst.

Rosencrantz:
We think not so, my lord.

Hamlet:
Why then ’tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or
bad, but thinking makes it so. To me it is a prison.

Hamlet Act 2, scene 2, 239–251

http://rebtinfo.com/nothing-either-good-or-bad-but-thinking-makes-it-so/
Insanity
My favorite quote is a couple of lines in the Sherlock Holmes mini story, "Silver Blaze," where they are trying to determine how a particular horse was stolen:

“Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?'

'To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.'

'The dog did nothing in the night-time.'

'That was the curious incident,' remarked Sherlock Holmes.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Silver Blaze

I think it's great because it highlights how the absence of something can sometimes be evidence of something wrong. You think the dog would do something, but it didn't because it recognized who the person was, giving a clue to who the final suspect was who stole the horse. It's things like this that makes the Sherlock Holmes stories so good.
jestoy0514
Quote:
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happens!

This is my favorite.
amagard
"
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia.
"

George Orwell
trkcemre
Quote:
"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity."

- Carl Sagan
SonLight
http://johnadamscenter.com/who-we-are/why-john-adams/

Quote:
OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE.
-President John Adams to the Officers of the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Militia of Massachusetts, 1798.

The moral aspect, I don't think anyone can reasonably argue with. The religious aspect, the value is in the eyes of the beholder. In any case, I think the United States is woefully lacking in the former, and the cost of that lack to our country is likely to be huge.
ratanegra
I love the quote that I use as a signature. "Ideas are bulletproof". It comes from my favorite movie from all time, V for Vendetta. For me it signifies the rejection of people's subjective opinions about my actions and expressions because, even if they can disagree with them, they are not less real, and even if I were to die and not ever express them, they would be just as valid and anyone in the world would be able to have them. Thus they are confirmed, and I am confirmed with them.
deanhills
ratanegra wrote:
I love the quote that I use as a signature. "Ideas are bulletproof". It comes from my favorite movie from all time, V for Vendetta. For me it signifies the rejection of people's subjective opinions about my actions and expressions because, even if they can disagree with them, they are not less real, and even if I were to die and not ever express them, they would be just as valid and anyone in the world would be able to have them. Thus they are confirmed, and I am confirmed with them.
I'm also a fan of V for Vendetta. I'm thinking how physical injury and disfigurement as he had experienced it had contributed to the bulletproofing of his ideas.

I can't quite remember where I got this quote from, but for me it's true: Nothing is good, nothing is bad, but thinking makes it so. Could be Mark Twain, not sure about it though.
Josso
Yes actually, I like this tesla quote

Quote:
“Marconi is a good fellow. Let him continue. He is using seventeen of my patents.”
ratanegra
deanhills wrote:
ratanegra wrote:
I'm also a fan of V for Vendetta. I'm thinking how physical injury and disfigurement as he had experienced it had contributed to the bulletproofing of his ideas.

I can't quite remember where I got this quote from, but for me it's true: Nothing is good, nothing is bad, but thinking makes it so. Could be Mark Twain, not sure about it though.

I like your quote. I already live by that philosophy. Morals are created by humans, and therefore, all judgement imposed on us about our good or bad deeds, if we do not agree with it, is just as valid for them as it is invalid for us. Sadly that implies that everyone is right to do whatever they want to do with us, but fortunately it justifies possible enhancements to the behaviour that surrounds us through suggestions of what we might prefer. It's a very interesting topic that has been developed over the year as moral relativism, and one that I love.
restonpiston
I love the answer that Geralt(The Witcher, second book, The Last Wish) gives to one guy employing him, asking him if people invented monsters:

Quote:
'People,' Geralt turned his head, like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem
less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an
old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with
arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than
they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live.'
from Andrzej Sapkowski

I just love they way he thinks about the human society