FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


o.O ... IT'S OVER 9000!!!





ocalhoun
Posts in my forum (so far) today: 201
Posts in Frihost (so far) today: 177
(Mostly because the roleplay forum finally took off, I'm guessing.)

I'm feeling equal parts and


'Course, Frihost still has a bit of an edge in all-time post count... but hey, It's got a 6 year head start!
Ankhanu
Your forum, being a more focused demographic, really has an opportunity to take off.
Lack of focus, while absolutely essential for a service like Frih, is also its downfall. Because it has to be broad-spectrum, it doesn't pull together any common themes amongst its user base, really. That means that generating user interest is a lot harder. In a focused forum like yours, the users have a built in reason for interacting, and it brings them together and incites passion. Here, users have to cast out ideas and hope that someone latches on; it's a lot harder to generate momentum.

That said, because Frih is a business model, rather than an interest-based community, it has to be broad-spectrum, else many who come for hosting won't be interested, at all, in the forum. Unfortunately, appealing to everyone generally means not really appealing to anyone in a lot of cases.
ocalhoun
Make that over 300 posts today...


I've created a monster!


...I kinda expected a narrow-base forum to get less traffic... That was certainly the case with my last one!
Ghost Rider103
That is pretty impressive considering how new it is.

Keep that up for the rest of the month consistently and I'll be very impressed!

If it goes big enough, you could sell shirts and stuff that represent your site to gain more traffic and revenue so it pays for itself, advertising and maybe even some leftover cash for you.

I'd offer to design some shirts and stuff for you. But I dont think I'd be able to handle that. But it is a great way to make money no doubt! A couple shirts a day at $10-20 (a piece) wouldn't be so bad Razz
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Keep that up for the rest of the month consistently and I'll be very impressed!

...Just went from 2000 to 3000 in ... 3 days...




...So maybe it will. ^.^
tingkagol
If I may ask a question - how do you keep spambots away? What specific phpBB plug-ins / countermeasures do you have installed in your forum? Care to recommend any?

I'm currently setting up a small forum myself and all I have for a countermeasure is a 'human Q&A' field (with about 3-5 preset questions at the moment). Will that suffice?
truespeed
I have a phpbb forum,all i have is one Q & A question,that should suffice.

If your forum becomes popular you may still get the human spammers,but not so many they become a problem.

PS: Well done on the forum ocalhoun,i thought it might take off for you,but never as quickly and to the degree that it has. Smile
tingkagol
truespeed wrote:
I have a phpbb forum,all i have is one Q & A question,that should suffice.

Thanks. I really do hope that would suffice. Smile
ocalhoun
tingkagol wrote:

I'm currently setting up a small forum myself and all I have for a countermeasure is a 'human Q&A' field (with about 3-5 preset questions at the moment). Will that suffice?

phpbb3 has the option to use recaptcha (from google) as the captcha.
I've been using that, and have yet to get a single spam registration.
A bit more difficult to set up -- you have to get an account with recaptcha and enter the information into phpbb... but it seems to work great, and having such a well-known captcha gives off a nice, professional image.
truespeed wrote:
PS: Well done on the forum ocalhoun,i thought it might take off for you,but never as quickly and to the degree that it has. Smile

Honestly... I didn't expect it to either.
ocalhoun
*bump*
Because:

IT'S OVER 9000!

yay
mathiaus
ocalhoun wrote:
*bump*
Because:

IT'S OVER 9000!

yay


You'll run out of horse emoticons before long! Razz

Congratulations though. Next challenge is to maintain it...
ocalhoun

Run out of emotes?


Never.

(I've got over 250, and I'm about to make a lot more. ^.^)
deanhills
Congrats Ocalhoun!

Guess this is a brand-new sign-language for bronies? Better named emoticon-language. Very Happy

Well done however. Are you getting some income from ads with this?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Are you getting some income from ads with this?

Nope.
I intend to keep it free and ad-free as long as possible... which will hopefully be a long time, since I have an unlimited hosting account for it! ^.^


Oh, and the emotes? I finally finished season 1, with a total of 405.
As soon as I finish the 'packaging' of it, I'll publish it.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Are you getting some income from ads with this?

Nope.
I intend to keep it free and ad-free as long as possible... which will hopefully be a long time, since I have an unlimited hosting account for it! ^.^


Oh, and the emotes? I finally finished season 1, with a total of 405.
As soon as I finish the 'packaging' of it, I'll publish it.
I'm COMPLETELY impressed!

Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.