FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rock Climbing

davidv
Anyone here an avid rock climber? I've set a date with some friends to go rock climbing in the next week or so and I want some helpful tips and hints before I get on that wall! I'm a bit scared of heights but I remember it being awesome fun when I was younger so I'm not too scared.
ocalhoun
Well, caving is kinda like rock climbing sometimes... only in complete darkness... and usually only with the gear that can be squeezed through a tiny hole...
Nameless
I've been rock climbing a few times before, insomuch as climbing up plastic lumps on a flat wall inside with stupid-safe rope / pulley things counts as rock climbing. The easiest way to convince your mind that it's perfectly safe is to just climb up a really small distance and let yourself fall and be caught by the harness to prove that it works. After that it should be easier to focus on the clambering about and aching arms.
Blaster
davidv wrote:
Anyone here an avid rock climber? I've set a date with some friends to go rock climbing in the next week or so and I want some helpful tips and hints before I get on that wall! I'm a bit scared of heights but I remember it being awesome fun when I was younger so I'm not too scared.

I've been quite a few time. Make sure all of your gear fits you. Also if you are going to belay make sure you know what you are doing. Don't look down either... The biggest thing I can tell you is to trust your equipment.

Also it sounds like you are going to an in door gym of some type. Most rock gyms have boldering walls. These don't require a harness or rope and only go about 20 feet high. If you don't want to climb high this is always an option

Helios
Well I wouldn't call myself a climber at all, although on several hiking trips we had to climb a bit to get to our destination, which was great fun. I guess that you can find those in your area as well.
Actually, I think that using a harness while climbing those kind of walls is good practice Smile
You should definitely go practise before attempting a real climb.
deanhills
I just saw Tom Cruise running up the wall of a building tonight in Mission Impossible III. He first gunned a climbing rope/line to the top of the building, and then sprinted up the wall. Quite impressive!
Twisted Evil
coolclay
I hear if you do it just like Tom Cruise you'll be fine!

Just kidding, I used to teach climbing so I've got a few tips. Like others mentioned take a small fall, so that you trust your equipment. Keep your butt in, some people hang their butts out from the wall, and that puts more stress on your hands. Don't worry about following routes at the beginning just climb your own routes until you feel comfortable. Drink lots of water, muscle cramps can happen if you don't. Also it takes a long time to build up good finger muscles, if you have time you can start by doing chin ups with just your finger or fingertips, not your entire palm.

Also try to always keep 3 points of contact at the beginning, once you get better and stronger it's not a big deal.
davidv
Nameless wrote:
The easiest way to convince your mind that it's perfectly safe is to just climb up a really small distance and let yourself fall and be caught by the harness to prove that it works. After that it should be easier to focus on the clambering about and aching arms.

Blaster wrote:
Make sure all of your gear fits you.

Don't look down either

trust your equipment

coolclay wrote:
take a small fall, so that you trust your equipment.

Keep your butt in

climb your own routes until you feel comfortable

Drink lots of water

always keep 3 points of contact

- Don't look down
- Don't look down
- Don't fall
- Don't fall
- Trust equipment

and most importantly, don't stick my ass out to avoid looking like a fool.

GOTCHA! Thanks guys Very Happy
ocalhoun
davidv wrote:

- Don't fall
[...]

Well... it was actually kinda recommended that you do fall...
At least once anyway.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
davidv wrote:

- Don't fall
[...]

Well... it was actually kinda recommended that you do fall...
At least once anyway.
From what height ..... ? Twisted Evil

Guess if it is from a certain height it most definitely will be once only.
Insanity
Sounds fun. Going to keep tabs on this thread as I've always wanted to go rock climbing as well, but I was always afraid of doing something wrong.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

Most probably maybe... But not most definitely.
Heck, the record for highest free-fall survived is 33000 feet.

^.^ It's all about how you land and what you land on.
davidv
Oh dear, are you all suggesting I fall from great heights as well?
ocalhoun
davidv wrote:
Oh dear, are you all suggesting I fall from great heights as well?

Nope, not at all! ^.^

Just suggesting that if you did, you would only probably die, not definitely die.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Right. Count me out though. I'm not completely risk averse, but being maimed for life, i.e. along wheel chair lines, I'd try and avoid as much as I can. Anyway, I'm certain you're doing the same as you can always see a number of extra steps ahead that others can't. Along preparation lines.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Its not the fall that kills you... its the sudden stop.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Its not the fall that kills you... its the sudden stop.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Hilarious .... and VERY well put. ++
Blaster
Its the truth though. People fall from great heights all the time and survive...
LostOverThere
Nameless wrote:
I've been rock climbing a few times before, insomuch as climbing up plastic lumps on a flat wall inside with stupid-safe rope / pulley things counts as rock climbing. The easiest way to convince your mind that it's perfectly safe is to just climb up a really small distance and let yourself fall and be caught by the harness to prove that it works. After that it should be easier to focus on the clambering about and aching arms.

This is great advice. I used to do this all the time when I went indoor rock climbing. Although that was years ago.

Man, I need to go rock climbing again.
lovescience
Have a good night sleep before you go for the next day's climbing.
GuidanceReader
I should go rock climbing again... it is loads of fun.
Helios
Blaster wrote:
Its the truth though. People fall from great heights all the time and survive...

Very true, actually I know that if you try to keep your muscles as relaxed as possible when you "suddenly stop", as you put it, you have a higher chance to survive.
Something to do with your body being more elastic and more shock absorbent.
Easier said than done probably, but worth keeping in your mind nevertheless.
johans
i love to try Rock climbing.. although i have not tried it but i think i love this kind of sport.. i like extreme sports with more physical involves.

Hopefully i can try rock climbing to take some stress from work and make a little bit different routine and experience in life..

Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
This is probably too late because the topic is over a month old but I am a pretty good rock climber and I have a reasonable amount of experience on both walls and on real rock. I have gone a lot in Joshua Tree National Park, California, USA.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1016&bih=593&q=joshua+tree+rock+climbing&gbv=2&oq=joshua+tree+rock+climbing&aq=f&aqi=g1g-S6&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=813l813l0l2682l1l1l0l0l0l0l342l342l3-1l1l0

You can see some pictures of the type of environment that Joshua Tree has for the activity.

The best advice that I can give is to use your legs as much as possible. Some people try to rely far too much on their arms and hands for climbing and I find that it's mostly in the legs and that you need to use your hands only to help keep you on the rock. Climb with your legs.

I also find it helpful to use chalk because my hands get quite sweaty and that makes it hard to grip. Most importantly, have fun and if you're not a professional, make sure there's a professional there because rock climbing is completely safe only if the gear is set up correctly.
pauline5765
I hate the REAL rock climbing. The one where you go to real mountains. I have a physical education class like that before and I thought it will be fun. But it just got me disappointed. I had a lot of bruises in my hands, arms and legs and I basically wounded my entire body before I reached the top. :/

It was really dangerous. I like the one that have a fake wall and all.
ankitdatashn
I have done it twice in my life, one time outdoor and once indoor in a mall. The first experience was of the artificial rock wall in a mall. The experience was good, everyone's watching and I was able to reach just before the wall was going curved, it was difficult to hold on to it and there it just slipped out of hands.

The next experience was in a small rock named "tenzing rock" near Darjeeling, there I got a few bruises which I was also amazed to see as I did not feel it when I was climbing, It was a bit of scary experience as I had to sit there on top of that mini mountain with steep fall on all the sides and no harness for a while as it was used for other people also, there was a phobia that rope may get loose, after a while came down safely but was panting a bit...

nice experience overall... Smile
wellerchap
I've walked to the top of several mountains, and scrambled (3 points of contact stuff), but never done real rock climbing...it's too demanding for me, I'm afraid - though I really admire the people that do it.