FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vote against Censorship of the World Internet

deanhills
I received this message at work today and hope that as many people as possible will vote against this law. The US Congress is apparently debating a law that would give the US power to censor the world's Internet. If you wish to cast your vote against censorship, you can do so through the Website at the URL below:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/?tta

Quote:
Dear friends,

Right now, the US Congress is debating a law that would give them the power to censor the world's Internet -- creating a blacklist that could target YouTube, WikiLeaks and even groups like Avaaz!

Under the new law, the US could force Internet providers to block any website on suspicion of violating copyright or trademark legislation, or even failing to sufficiently police their users' activities. And, because so much of the Internet's hosts and hardware are located in the US, their blacklist would clamp down on the free web for all of us.

The vote could happen any day now, but we can help stop this -- champions in Congress want to preserve free speech and tell us that an international outcry would strengthen their hand. Let’s urgently raise our voices from every corner of the world and build an unprecedented global petition calling on US decision makers to reject the bill and stop Internet censorship. Click below to sign and then forward as widely as possible -- our message will be delivered directly to key members of the US Congress ahead of the crucial vote:

For years, the US government has condemned countries like China and Iran for their clampdown on Internet use. But now, the impact of America's new censorship laws could be far worse - effectively blocking sites to every Internet user across the globe.

Last year, a similar Internet censorship bill was killed before reaching the US Senate floor, but it has now been refashioned and is back on the table. The new draft grants the government and big corporations enormous powers to force ISPs and search engines to prevent access to sites blacklisted because of allegations of online infringement. But the bill goes even further, also targeting service providers for not doing enough to track and enforce infringement rules, or for providing tools to help US Internet users access sites on the blacklist. Any website can be blocked by the order of a federal judge, wi thout even being found guilty of any crime.

US free speech advocates have already raised the alarm, and some key senators are trying to gather enough support to stop this dangerous bill. We have no time to lose. Let's stand with them to ensure American lawmakers preserve the right to a free and open Internet as an essential way for people around the world to exchange ideas, share communication and work collectively to build the world we want. Sign below to stop the US Internet Blacklist:

In the past months, from the Arab Spring to the global Occupy Movement, we've seen first hand how the Internet can galvanize, unify and change the world. Now we can stop this new attack on Internet freedom if we stand together. We've done it before. In Brazil and Italy, Avaaz members have won major victories in the right for a free Internet. Let's galvanize our gl obal web community and crush the most powerful censorship threat that the Internet has ever seen.

With hope,

Luis, Dalia, Diego, Emma, Ricken, Aaron, Antonia, Benjamin and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

Op-Ed: Blacklist Bill allows Feds to remove websites from Internet (Digital Journal)
http://digitaljournal.com/article/313463

Disastrous IP Legislation Is Back – And It's Worse than Ever (EFF)
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/disastrous-ip-legislation-back-%E2%80%93-and-it%E2%80%99s-worse-ever

Silicon Valley legislators oppose online piracy act (SFGate)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/11/15/BUO81LV0KI.DTL

House Hearing on Stop Online Piracy Act Scheduled (PC World)
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/243659/house_hearing_on_stop_online_piracy_act_scheduled.html
spinout
they can always try... it it hard to put a law upon www, there is always tunnels and other software solutions
missdixy
I tried to call my senator's office about this, and kept getting a recording that never led to a voicemail Sad So, instead I signed online petitions and plan to send a letter. Blah. I hope it makes a difference. I know on Tumblr and Livejournal and other websites last week (or week before that??) there were movements to inform people about this.

http://www.tumblr.com/protect-the-net
standready
Yep, the US Congress has nothing more important to do. Right?
Signing the petition.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
Yep, the US Congress has nothing more important to do.

What could possibly be more important than making sure their corporate sponsors don't lose money due to piracy?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

What could possibly be more important than making sure their corporate sponsors don't lose money due to piracy?
By penalizing those who are not pirates? I'd rather that the corporations makes sure they protect themselves better by spending money to sort themselves out instead of trying to control the Web by creating laws that will have ramifications for everyone, including those outside the US. What's happened to freedom of speech in the US. Sounds as though it is being created into a police state and no one is doing anything about it? Like a slow a motion Kafka thriller. Evil or Very Mad
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

By penalizing those who are not pirates?

They really don't care.
As long as it makes their corporate buddies happy, it goes.
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
standready wrote:

True, Congress does need to take care of themselves rather than worrying about the economy. Maybe a little insider trading will help them.
Hello_World
Hmmmm... maybe China is not so bad comparitively...

This sucks. The internet is one true place of freedom and comarative equality.
tingkagol
This is only in the US right? Well, if this gets legislated, the 'internet industry' will definitely find its way out of America. Probably some place where there's leaner censorship laws.

The Philippines could use those IT jobs. Laughing
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
This is only in the US right? Well, if this gets legislated, the 'internet industry' will definitely find its way out of America. Probably some place where there's leaner censorship laws.

The Philippines could use those IT jobs. Laughing
No. I actually received this in the Emirates, from an Emirati who circulated the appeal for casting our vote to everyone at work. If you check out the above OP you will note that if the legislation should be passed, it will be affecting everyone in the world.
loremar
Already know about this a month ago but I was too lazy to sign. Now I'm signing.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Already know about this a month ago but I was too lazy to sign. Now I'm signing.
Thanks, that's made me REALLY happy Loremar.

Less than 5,000 votes needed to get to one million - from all over the world:
catscratches
^ And the million point has been reached.
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
^ And the million point has been reached.
That's great news! Cool
90dota
you are good boy!
standready
Think it will reach the current goal of 1.5 million signatures anytime soon?
deanhills
standready wrote:
Think it will reach the current goal of 1.5 million signatures anytime soon?
I'm just wondering whether it is getting late. Have they come to an agreement in Congress yet?