FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Page Messup

Blaster
Well I was posting in the topic What song are you currently listening to when I noticed how it shows EVERY possible page to go to. This makes the page a lot wider.

So can we either have this go to where it allows say the last page (from the one you are on) and the first and second page type deal. If not can we at least add a break after say every 10 pages in a line?
ankurthakur
You mean to say a Good Page Navigation Like this :

Page Navigation
1 | 2 | 3 | ..... | 361 | 362 | 363

instead of writing all the pages nos, just display some of the front and last...?
Ghost Rider103
ankurthakur wrote:

Page Navigation

instead of writing all the pages nos, just display some of the front and last...?

That would definitely fix the problem!

I remember this being an issue for a long time. Back when the "Daily Guess a Number Game" was going this problem was always a concern. I think this is the first time anyone has suggested a page navigation like ankur had just done.

I must say that ankur's idea would fix the problem and would also look a lot better than displaying every page number.

A "First page" and a "Last page" button would also be needed though rather than just the numbers.
deanhills
I thought the page navigation was already there? Except I don't like it. I often research old threads, and then find I have to navigate page by page to a date I'm looking for instead of having a greater selection to jump to. I.e. this is how it is currently:
1,2,3,4 ................................28,29,30

I'd have liked intervals in between like:

1,2,3 ......10,11,12 ........... 20,21,22 ..... 29,30
Ankhanu
This is actually one of the few forums that I've been on that doesn't truncate the numbering.

This is both good and bad; when a thread or forum gets huge, obviously, there are a lot of numbers to stretch out the page. However, when you're trying to read back to find material buried 20 pages back, having more than 3 pages available at a time to go back is pretty handy. (though I'll admit I have to do this less on Frih than I do on other forums)

I suppose aesthetics should trump function in this sense, though.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
This is actually one of the few forums that I've been on that doesn't truncate the numbering.
Aha ..... that is what they call it. Truncate! Nice word. Counter-intuitive, truncate .... I'm learnin .... Very Happy
Ankhanu
We can get along again, Dean! We can get along! Smile
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
We can get along again, Dean! We can get along! Smile
Right. I think I like it .... Cool
Ghost Rider103
I just realized at the top of this page: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19667-131.html#1063915 the numbers actually don't break the page so it doesn't make the page extremely wide. The more numbers, the more vertical lines it creates (of the numbers).

The bottom of the thread is what is broken. The numbers don't start a new line, they just continue in one long line. If we could get that fixed, the problem will easily be solved. Smile
Blaster
ankurthakur wrote:

Page Navigation

That is exactly what I mean ankurthakur

and i see ghost the top is fixed just not the bottom... that is weird. I would rather not see all the pages. I have seen pages that say jump to page and has a box where you can enter a page number in. That would be cool to add with my idea so you don't have to scroll page by page.
ocalhoun
Another option is to truncate the numbers, but also add in a 'go to' box, allowing you to type in or select in a drop-down which page you want to go to.

(Yeah, you can do that by typing it into the url, but even with this being a web-hosting site, not everybody knows how to do that.)

And yes, there's little reason to list all the pages... but there should be a way to go directly to any page... You should never force somebody to advance through the topic 3 pages at a time just to get to some specific page.
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:
Another option is to truncate the numbers, but also add in a 'go to' box, allowing you to type in or select in a drop-down which page you want to go to.

(Yeah, you can do that by typing it into the url, but even with this being a web-hosting site, not everybody knows how to do that.)

And yes, there's little reason to list all the pages... but there should be a way to go directly to any page... You should never force somebody to advance through the topic 3 pages at a time just to get to some specific page.

Agreed, a jump to box would be the best option.

of topic: Post 800!
Blaster
Yea i hate haveing to scroll through a bunch of pages. But it is also annoying trying to look at a page and it be all messed up.
Peterssidan
I agree with ocalhoun that there should be a way to go directly to any page but I don't like jump boxes so why not have it as it is on the top? It shouldn't be hard to do.
ankurthakur
Thanks Blaster Cool I think that would be the best solution because it simplifies the design, the use and prevents the mess which looks weird on the top and bottom of the page... Wink

We too use a good navigation like this in PHP-Fusion Smile and its good...!