FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Cheap Travel Guide To Backpacking in Europe

magnustoday
So here are the ideas I gathered so far:

1. Fly Via AirAsia to Paris
2. Book Hostels via TravellersPoint or HostelWorld
3. Rent a tent and stay overnight on the beach if you're staying in French Riviera or San Sebastian, Spain.
4. ICIC Card or a fake driver's license to get student discounts (if you look young of course)
5. Use Velo in touring paris.
6. Don't dine-in to avoid table charges. Eat at the medieval fountains.
7. Eat Chinese food and Arab foods.
8. Take advantage of RyanAir promos

Any other tips?
deanhills
Have you checked what the weather is and the best time of the year to travel? I'd imagine this time of the year could be pretty cold for living in a tent?
portoskt
i dont want to eat chinese food, one of reasons to travel is to know local food of course))
menino
Nice tips to save money. You could also try using the public transport systems in Europe (and rest of the world) instead of taxis, I guess.
Hostels are quite cheap, but you have to share rooms and bathrooms, and for backpackers, this is alright, but some do use hotels on offer, and this can be found online.
Other way to save on food,is to buy the raw materials (such as bread, lettuce, tomatoes, canned stuff and make sandwiches of it.
But local delicacies / dishes are great, and these also can be found online now, for best restaurants with great prices, so you don't really miss out on the local foods, and still pay a good price for it, which might be more expensive elsewhere.
Sometimes when you try to save on costs, you lose out on the experience.
Another thing for saving costs for places to stay is couchsurfing (couchsurfing.com). One of my friends is a member and has saved costs in travelling to different countries, but you have to also offer your place for those members when they visit your country.
Some couchsurfers aren't all that friendly though, although most of them seem to be. The concept of couchsurfing, is that members will offer you their couch to sleep on, while you are travelling.
mikeperhem1
good idea
pavlakaslatka
Europe is pretty easy fo backpacking - it is safe, you have access to water, electricity, communications... All you need is to prepare well, to read in advance the guides (for example, many museums have a day to provide free entrance), to use public transport, bay food in supermarkets, etc
fuzzkaizer
yes, in most of the places it's too cold to sleep in the tent in wintertime - for backpacking in winter, stay in the mediterranean aerea, the climate it's somehow much milder there.
and if you want to eat chines food in europ, take care, there are at least two different sorts of chinese food: one is more like fast food restaurants, and the other is more like real chinese food, hot pot and so on. the latter one i can really recommend, while the first one i wouldn't...

why eat near mediaval fountains? what's the idea behind that?
cathicat21
menino wrote:
Nice tips to save money. You could also try using the public transport systems in Europe (and rest of the world) instead of taxis, I guess.
Hostels are quite cheap, but you have to share rooms and bathrooms, and for backpackers, this is alright, but some do use hotels on offer, and this can be found online.
Other way to save on food,is to buy the raw materials Emploi animation (such as bread, lettuce, tomatoes, canned stuff and make sandwiches of it.
But local delicacies / dishes are great, and these also can be found online now, for best restaurants with great prices, so you don't really miss out on the local foods, and still pay a good price for it, which might be more expensive elsewhere.
Sometimes when you try to save on costs, you lose out on the experience.
Another thing for saving costs for places to stay is couchsurfing (couchsurfing.com). One of my friends is a member and has saved costs in travelling to different countries, but you have to also offer your place for those members when they visit your country.
Some couchsurfers aren't all that friendly though, although most of them seem to be. The concept of couchsurfing, is that members will offer you their couch to sleep on, while you are travelling.

But you can also try to travel in low cost profitnt last minute deals
loveandormoney
Ask the church.
Ask the church when You do like the church.

So
they offer wordlwide cheap travels like here

two weeks 99 US Dollar
including food flight taxes drinks but You are in a group and more than 1,000 miles from home.

Its cheap. But many people around You.
Insanity
I agree, I don't think you should necessarily limit yourself to one or two cuisines that won't allow you to experience the local foods. I think backpacking cheaply is fine, but I think you should really experience the region you are in, and food is a major part of it. You can't just go through Europe and only eat the cheap Asian or Chinese food, that just doesn't sound right.

Doing it cheaply doesn't always necessarily mean you have to do thing badly, or miss out on some crucial experiences. You can look for deals in some of the other restaurants, or even if you have a kitchen you can buy some ingredients from the local market and make your own meals for the most cheap you can be. Of course, you won't enjoy the fine food in the restaurants, but then it'll be cheap and you can still experience some of the other things that are in the area you are traveling in.