FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What happened to the Frihost logo?

tingkagol
So... will we be seeing a return of the Frihost logo? What happened to it anyway?

I think this site desperately needs one. A logo exemplifies identity and promotes instant public recognition.
truespeed
I think it needs one on the index page of the site,which in itself needs a revamp,but theres little room at the top of the forum header,unless you have a different header for logged in and non logged in users.
Peterssidan
The logo was removed back in 2007 when the design was changed. I like to see the Frihost logo return but I don't see there is any room for it with the current design.
Here is a discussion about the logo a few months after it was removed http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-83864.html
tingkagol
Oh, there's plenty of room.

See the link "Create your Frihost Blog"? There's plenty of room around that area. I think the user stats can be moved to the center so that a spankin' new logo can occupy the top-left corner.
Peterssidan
To me it looks very tight. A very small logo in that case. Where you have "Create your Frihost Blog" I have 3 rows (name of the blog, number of blog posts and "Create a new blog post").
deanhills
This is my favourite "Logo"! I know it is technically an Avatar, but I have always identified Frihost with this Avatar. It was the one that motivated me to post (seriously and for real):

tingkagol
Yeah, I think that image could really work. It's unique and quite clever. You could add a little 'FRIHOST' nametag and we're good to go. Probably add a Frihost text just underneath in an old english font. Problem is, it looks too 'american' in a supposedly multi-cultural message board.
Peterssidan
Bondings avatar is not bad but as a logo? I don't need an alien telling me to post. If we should have a logo I think it should at least say Frihost.
tingkagol
frihost
I WANT YOU TO POST

...something like that. It will be Frihost's new slogan. ^_^
Peterssidan
ARE YOU LOST?
JOIN
Frihost!
WITHOUT COST!
ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS POST!

What about having a slogan competition?
Blaster
I do agree that a logo is needed in some fashion. The site seems a bit plane. I come here because I know the place. But if I were new I think I might turn away at the look of this site at first glance... Lets face it not everyone is a rocket scientist...
tingkagol
Peterssidan wrote:
ARE YOU LOST?
JOIN
Frihost!
WITHOUT COST!

not bad.

I'm sticking with "I Want You To Post" though. Smile

Quote:
What about having a slogan competition?

Good idea.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think the word "I" would work well in a logo.

"We want you to post" makes more sense. Though making a slogan is useless without having a logo anyways. Laughing

There seriously is no room for a logo on the current theme. Yes, there is a blank spot under the blog link in the middle of the header. But that is no place for a logo. It would make the site look way too cluttered.

A total design overhaul is what is needed. Perhaps only then will we ever see a Frihost logo again.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
A total design overhaul is what is needed. Perhaps only then will we ever see a Frihost logo again.
I vote for that one for sure!
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Everyone, except those who would actually do it does Wink
Technically, they probably vote for it too, they're just doing other things.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Everyone, except those who would actually do it does Wink
Technically, they probably vote for it too, they're just doing other things.
Party pooper ..... Twisted Evil Laughing
loremar
At least we have a favicon for frihost. Wink

EDIT: I suggest putting a logo in the left sidebar or maybe add another area right below the menu and just above the sidebars and content. But it has to be a logo that suits very well with. I think Ghost Rider will do just the perfect job.
Ankhanu
loremar wrote:
At least we have a favicon for frihost. Wink

Yeah, an unique favicon is a wonderful thing.

That reminds me that I need to make a new one for my forum; I just updated the software and need to make a new one for it.
tingkagol
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't think the word "I" would work well in a logo.

"We want you to post" makes more sense. Though making a slogan is useless without having a logo anyways. Laughing

A complete name-change could even work. My friends always had trouble remembering the name 'frihost' due to its awkward spelling.

www.wewantyoutopost.com is pretty catchy and easy to remember. Smile I can see some value in that domain name. I'd register it in a heartbeat if I had any plans with it.

My imagination is running wild today. Anyone have 200 coins? lol

Quote:
There seriously is no room for a logo on the current theme. Yes, there is a blank spot under the blog link in the middle of the header. But that is no place for a logo. It would make the site look way too cluttered.

We can get rid of the Frihost search field at the top-right since there's already a link at the nav bar...
Ghost Rider103
Frihost has been around for a long time.

A name change would do more harm than good. Not to mention we would loose all the SEO work done since 2005.
ocalhoun
I'd be most in favor of putting the logo on the homepage, and in the avatar's spot for not-logged-in users.
... Though a slightly scaled-down version could look good centered below the 'create your frihost blog' link...

Peterssidan wrote:
ARE YOU LOST?
JOIN
Frihost!
WITHOUT COST!

Argh!

Now you've gotten me reading 'post' as rhyming with 'lost' and 'cost'.
My brain hurts.
tingkagol
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Frihost has been around for a long time.

A name change would do more harm than good. Not to mention we would loose all the SEO work done since 2005.

I figured that would be too much.

I'm also curious about Frihost's SEO ranking. It seems we are nowhere to be found when using the basic keywords "free", "web", and "host", in whichever order.
truespeed
Nowhere to be seen for "free domains" either and there's not many hosts giving those away.also "post for host" "post to host" "post 4 host" "post 2 host" again frihost can't be found using those search terms,in fact other than typing in frihost,its pretty difficult to come across this site at all..
Peterssidan
tingkagol wrote:
I'm also curious about Frihost's SEO ranking. It seems we are nowhere to be found when using the basic keywords "free", "web", and "host", in whichever order.

Searching for free web hosting I found frihost on page 13. That is not so very good but remember that frihost gets most traffic from other search terms for things we discuss in the forum.
deanhills
Guess what happened when I searched "Bondings" on images?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oG7mpnJ99OdFAAzBZXNyoA?p=bondings&fr2=piv-web

Hehe ..... Twisted Evil

Bondings Avatar made it to Page 1.

OK ..... now try "Bondings Frihost" (without the inverted commas)
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdXsXKN9O1VEAe.BXNyoA?p=bondings%20frihost&fr2=sb-top

Bondings is No. 1 in the search results.

Laughing
Ghost Rider103
Yeah not sure what happened to our ranking on Google for keywords.

I think we used to be on the second page for "Free web hosting". I could be mistaken though.

But nonetheless, we are at least on Google period and we do have a PR4. Something that a new domain would take a long time to catch up with.
tingkagol
Blaster wrote:
But if I were new I think I might turn away at the look of this site at first glance...

I think I'd be intimidated/confused as well.

The homepage is a bit too cluttered for newbies. It would do better (from a marketing standpoint) if Frihost took the 'Google approach' - which is to keep the homepage as simple as possible and to give visitors exactly what they came for... by shoving the product (in our case - hosting) right in their faces on a big plate and nothing else. That way, we won't ever worry about newbies getting confused.

A site that perfectly emulates the 'Google approach' is http://www.dotfree.com/

Forgive me for dishing out too many suggestions. lol. I wish nothing but the best for Frihost.
Blaster
tingkagol wrote:
Blaster wrote:
But if I were new I think I might turn away at the look of this site at first glance...

I think I'd be intimidated/confused as well.

The homepage is a bit too cluttered for newbies. It would do better (from a marketing standpoint) if Frihost took the 'Google approach' - which is to keep the homepage as simple as possible and to give visitors exactly what they came for... by shoving the product (in our case - hosting) right in their faces on a big plate and nothing else. That way, we won't ever worry about newbies getting confused.

A site that perfectly emulates the 'Google approach' is http://www.dotfree.com/

Forgive me for dishing out too many suggestions. lol. I wish nothing but the best for Frihost.

That is a good idea tingkagol. It has worked for google why not us?
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:

Searching for free web hosting I found frihost on page 13.

^.^ But it's number 3 and 4 on the first page for 'brony forum'...
I really want that kind of SEO!

I've also had Frihost threads turn up when searching for other random stuff online... stuff that has nothing to do with hosting.

Hm... come to think of it... perhaps it would be profitable to put up some kind of splash/popup that only shows up for any new person visiting a forum page as their first visit... One that puts up a little ad saying what frihost is.

I don't have access to stats to tell, but I'm betting that most of the guest visits to Frihost are google search results of particular threads... Now, most of the people reading those wouldn't be interested in web hosting... but surely some might.
loremar
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm... come to think of it... perhaps it would be profitable to put up some kind of splash/popup that only shows up for any new person visiting a forum page as their first visit... One that puts up a little ad saying what frihost is.

That's a great idea. But a frihost logo would have done enough for that job. A logo that says "Frihost, the greatest webhost ever, come and join the community and post to get a host. IT'S FREEEEE!!!!"
LostOverThere
Just as long as we avoid slogans which rhyme (or, even worse, look like they rhyme but actually don't) I'm all for it. I do agree that the middle of the forum header is a bit bland (where the "Create your Frihost Blog!" thing is). Perhaps a logo could go there?
90dota
he say "i want you to post", so, i posted it...