FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about points and posting

belltown
If you can get between 1 and 5 points per posting (let's say the average is 2.5 - so far my average is 2.4 after 10 posts), and if there is one point deducted from each user per day, then it would seem that to prevent the point total from going negative, you would need 30/2.5 = 12 posts per month; that's about one post every 2-3 days. Does this seem about right, or have I been misinterpreting something? I'm worried that I may not be able to make that many postings without just posting for the sake of posting. I've heard of post-to-host providers that require at least one posting every month, or sometimes every two weeks, and some that only require you to sign in to the forums every couple of weeks, but I've never seen such a high posting requirement as one post every 2-3 days. I hope I've just misinterpreted the rules.

According to http://www.frihost.com/faq.php

Quote:
Once you reach the maximum number of posts, it may take several months before an account cancellation is even considered

I don't see how that would work. Once you have 45 points your account would go negative after 45 days if you don't post at all.
Peterssidan
Your calculations seems right but it's hard to know what the average points per post will be because it depends on how long posts you make.

Accounts are deleted manually and not very frequently so sometimes people can go quite far below zero before they lose their hosting. People that have made many posts are less likely to lose it.
Ankhanu
Aye, cancellations are not automatic... hence the "considered" part of the statement.

The posting requirement really isn't much. There was a year or so in my time with Frih that I would only post once a month or so. Pop my points up to 45, then come back a month later and do the same. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't very fulfilling.

Really, if you decided to give the board a go and start exploring the forums and topics, it's not hard to get interested in contributing and discussing things with people. You start pulling in points like mad then, and it's even enjoyable Razz
ocalhoun
That's about right. If you only made one post each day, you'd have to post once every 2 or three days or so.

But with just two or three posts each time, you could drop that down to once a week... If you made 10 to 15, once a month...

And really, it isn't difficult... They key is to actually have conversations with people... read the replies to your posts, and reply to those. Once you start doing that, you'll max out your points before you realize it.
belltown
Thanks for your replies. I do like that the board seems a lot friendlier than others, that people are actually encouraged to post, as opposed to those boards dominated by people whose mission in life seems to be to berate the new folks for posting when they should have spent a few hours researching their questions through Google before having the audacity to make a post about something.
truespeed
Post 12 times in a day then don't worry about it for another month.
Ghost Rider103
Yes you calculations seem to be right around the are.

But posting styles very. You can get up to 45 points in a day then not come back to the forums for over a month. If you aren't in the negative, getting up to 45 points should be extremely. Even if it takes oh a few consistent days of posting to reach it.

In all honesty though, it's best to just try to get involved in the community for the sake of beig apart of frihost. There are a lot of people on the forums (myself included) who post for the sake of being involved in the community. I haven't posted just for the hosting for years. I've just posted nearly daily because I enjoy the community here. It's like a second Facebook, for virtual friends. The hosting is just a bonus. I'd still be here even if I didn't have a hosting account here.

To answer your othe question, we manually remove hosting accounts, it isn't automated. So even when you're points are -20 that doesn't mean you lose your hosting right away. We generally give you a chance to bring your points back up. If you've been an active member you'll likely get more room. If youre new and are falling behind, well we might bug you some before we delete your hosting. That's not to say your hosting won't get removed, it very well could if you fall behind. Just saying chances are usually low.
deanhills
I find the calculations of Belltown pretty amazing! Awesome post .... has me completely in awe statistically wise.
Very Happy
belltown
deanhills wrote:
I find the calculations of Belltown pretty amazing! Awesome post .... has me completely in awe statistically wise.
Very Happy

Thanks, Deanhills. Here's another question: I'm looking at your points total and it says "79.58". According to my application of complex statistical analysis 79.58 is greater than 45, which is supposed to be the maximum number of points one can have. How does that happen?
Ankhanu
If you accrue points >45, at the end of the day they're cut back to 45.

This is actually how coins are earned; you get coins for you posts beyond 45points.
deanhills
belltown wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Very Happy

Thanks, Deanhills. Here's another question: I'm looking at your points total and it says "79.58". According to my application of complex statistical analysis 79.58 is greater than 45, which is supposed to be the maximum number of points one can have. How does that happen?
Well we also earn "coins" for the points we get above 45. At the end of the day the difference is converted into coins like so:
Bondings on Coins wrote:
They are calculated by the points above 45 (each day) to the power of 0.6. And the actual calculation might change later on. Maybe it's easier to give an example:
46 points: 1^0.6 = 1
48 points: 3^0.6 = 1.93318204
50 points: 5^0.6 = 2.6265278
55 points: 10^0.6 = 3.98107171

So what I meant to say is that if you make a huge amount of posts on the same day and then nothing for the rest of the week, it will earn less Coins than if it is spread over the whole week more evenly.
Like 3 days with 46 points: 3*(1^0.6)=3 Coins vs 1 day with 48 points: 3^0.6=1.93 Coins.
But the more points you get, the more Coins you get. It's just that regular posting will earn more than one day a lot.
Source: Official Notification from Bondings - Coins

What has had me guessing as well are the fractions - i.e. like 78.78 as I wonder how Bondings gets the fraction points to almost rhyme or have double digits. I like that. Very Happy
futurcat
deanhills wrote:
belltown wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Very Happy

Well we also earn "coins" for the points we get above 45. At the end of the day the difference is converted into coins like so:
Bondings on Coins wrote:
They are calculated by the points above 45 (each day) to the power of 0.6. And the actual calculation might change later on. Maybe it's easier to give an example:

So what I meant to say is that if you make a huge amount of posts on the same day and then nothing for the rest of the week, it will earn less Coins than if it is spread over the whole week more evenly.
Like 3 days with 46 points: 3*(1^0.6)=3 Coins vs 1 day with 48 points: 3^0.6=1.93 Coins.
But the more points you get, the more Coins you get. It's just that regular posting will earn more than one day a lot.

What has had me guessing as well are the fractions - i.e. like 78.78 as I wonder how Bondings gets the fraction points to almost rhyme or have double digits. I like that. Very Happy

Thanks! That was useful. I am new and had got into negative points, so was looking for a guide on how often to post.
codersfriend
I have a question? Will frihost send you a warning that you're going inactive? My points just got negative to my surprise.. Will they let you know that they will delete you?
ocalhoun
codersfriend wrote:
I have a question? Will frihost send you a warning that you're going inactive? My points just got negative to my surprise.. Will they let you know that they will delete you?

You should get several email warnings as your points get progressively more negative.

-1, -7, and -20? I'm not sure, really... I just think I remember that there's three, and the final one is at -20.

And, technically, your account could be removed any time without warning if your points are negative... But that generally won't happen.
Usually, accounts are only deleted when the server is full.
codersfriend
Ok thank you for that. Now I know..I'll just be keeping backups on my website just in case. If an account is deleted, can it still be recovered? Smile
deanhills
codersfriend wrote:
Ok thank you for that. Now I know..I'll just be keeping backups on my website just in case. If an account is deleted, can it still be recovered? Smile
No it can't. I doubt that will happen at Frihost without a warning though. But one never knows whether something could tackle the server where your Website is on. I'd always make backups if your Website is important to you.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
codersfriend wrote:
No it can't. I doubt that will happen at Frihost without a warning though. But one never knows whether something could tackle the server where your Website is on. I'd always make backups if your Website is important to you.

Well, the data on it couldn't be recovered, but the account could be recreated.
If you're making backups like you said, then you could just restore it from backup as soon as that happened.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
codersfriend wrote:

Well, the data on it couldn't be recovered, but the account could be recreated.
If you're making backups like you said, then you could just restore it from backup as soon as that happened.

My suggestion is to do all your coding/updates locally and upload the site from there, rather than editing on Frih. That way you always have your most current site locally (unless you're using databases, in which case, back those up frequently).
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
My suggestion is to do all your coding/updates locally and upload the site from there, rather than editing on Frih. That way you always have your most current site locally (unless you're using databases, in which case, back those up frequently).
I always start off that way, and then get lazy. But lately I've been using FTP and that is much easier to make sure that I have a copy of my Website on my local drive. I also periodically make a copy of that on a flash drive.

I still have to reload my Website on Frihost though. Still have to get to that point.
rjraaz
codersfriend wrote:

You will get first negative point warning at -5 points and second warning at -10 points after that may be deleted from the forum anytime without explaining any reason. I hope may be that is right.

As per Posted by some user in forum http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-114390.html#949061
Quote:

wow, thanks!
btw, i just got a frihost inactivity(-5) warning Smile
I guess it was earlier today...
also do you mind if i post now??
I mean. i'm not going to be regular, but maybe i'll open up frihost in the prep leaves (some day in the next 2weeks.. maybe..?)

and As per in forum http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69382.html#583511 posted by Bonding
account may be deleted but not often.

Quote:
Your account can be removed when you are below -20 points. But I don't often remove accounts (I'll be removing some pretty soon though), and most of the time I take into account several factors like number of posts and the last time you logged in. (also quality/time of the last few posts)

Anyway, I changed your points to 10, just keep them positive now. Very Happy

My final conclusion is that you must be active on this forum and every decision is in hand of administrators they can reset your negative points or can remove you from this forum

Hope I clear your doubt.
sanalskumar
deanhills wrote:
belltown wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Very Happy

Bondings on Coins wrote:

I dont think, I will post for more than 45 points a day, like others in here do. So there is no question of getting coins for myself. But this looks good to me. A fair deal...
ocalhoun
sanalskumar wrote:

I dont think, I will post for more than 45 points a day, like others in here do. So there is no question of getting coins for myself. But this looks good to me. A fair deal...

You don't have to get 45 points in one day to get coins...
You just have to, on average, get more than 1 point per day, and keep that up long enough.

Say, for example, you start out with 0, and start making -- on average -- 2 points per day.
After 45 days, you would begin to get over 45 points and start earning coins.