FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Laser That Can Help Detect Roadside Bombs

rjraaz
Quote:
Researchers at the Michingan State University, USA, announced on September 18, 2011 that they had developed a new laser which can accurately detect roadside bombs and help identify improvised explosive devices (IEDs), often used by terrorists. The device has the sensitivity and selectivity to scan large areas and detect IEDs that account for around 60 percent of military deaths in troubled coutries such as Afhanistan and Iraq.

Detection of explosive substances such as IEDs is extremely challenging because the environment injects a large number of chemical compounds which mask the select few molecules that one is trying to detect. But the new laser can make these distinctions even for quantities as small as a fraction of a villionth of gram.

According to the reasearchers, the laser combines short pulses that cause molecules in the explosives to vibrate, as well as long pulses that are used to 'listen' to and identify the differnet vibrations It is worth mentioning here that every kind of molecule has different vibrational frequencies that uniquely identify the substance, much like a fingerprint.

Quote tags added - ocalhoun
Nameless
inb4 terrorists design bombs that can detect lasers that can detect bombs. When will the arms race end?
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
inb4 terrorists design bombs that can detect lasers that can detect bombs.

...Or just put them inside air-tight containers.
JoryRFerrell
ocalhoun wrote:
Nameless wrote:
inb4 terrorists design bombs that can detect lasers that can detect bombs.

...Or just put them inside air-tight containers.

LOL....Now THAT is "KISS" at work.... Razz
StormEngineCo
Wow, this can be very helpful in the war on terror. I hope it is implemented soon.
coolclay
This is a little hard to believe, and with many of the details like " villionth of gram. " (a unit of measure I've never heard of), I doubt the correctness of your post. Do you have any links to more details? It would be great if such a thing existed but with my knowledge of IED's I am not to sure how well it would work.
Insanity
I think there's a lot of potential with something like this. If it can save a hundred solider lives or so, I think it's worth looking into. I mean, I really don't t hink terrorists are going to design bombs that can detect lasers that can detect bombs. Especially if we consider that most of the battles that are going on today are being fought with improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and nothing super high tech. Something like this would be very useful.