FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BB Codes usage is a little weird :S

ankurthakur
Hello Guyz,

I've seen in many Forum using BB Codes but the one getting used here are quite different in working.

Whenever I use a BB Code, whatever is added, gets added to the end of the text. It doesn't matter if I click somewhere between the text ad add a smiley, it gets added at the end. Also, the cursor goes at the end of the text.

I suggest to change it so that we can use it easy way. Like :
- We can add smileys by clicking anywhere in the text and then clicking smiley
- The cursor should remain there where we used BB Code

Suggestion :-
You can use this Javascript : http://www.fangree.co.uk/includes/jscript.js
and use the insertText function inside it !

Usage :
insertText('textarea_name', 'text_to_add', 'form_name');

Thank You

Regards,
Ankur Thakur
Blaster
This is the way that phpbb does things. It has been like this with no problem and most likely will stay this way.
Peterssidan
It can be a little inconvenient with the smileys, especially when writing long posts that needs scrolling, but I don't think it's much of a problem. If you select text and press one of the buttons it will put the BBCode tags around the selected text correctly.
ocalhoun
*sigh*
Another one of those little things that would be better with an upgraded version of phpbb...

But that can't really be done here, because the cashmod system that the points, frih$ and coins are based on doesn't work with phpbb3.
ankurthakur
Blaster wrote:
This is the way that phpbb does things. It has been like this with no problem and most likely will stay this way.

I've seen in some phpBB Forums and the usage is just like what I explained. But no problem.

Peterssidan wrote:
It can be a little inconvenient with the smileys, especially when writing long posts that needs scrolling, but I don't think it's much of a problem. If you select text and press one of the buttons it will put the BBCode tags around the selected text correctly.

Yeah, its not much of a problem but I am talking about the same that when we are working with long posts, it gets sometimes irritating Twisted Evil
Bondings
@ankurthakur, I find it annoying too actually. This is the standard phpBB2 way and was changed in phpBB3 (which we won't upgrade to, too much work). If I find some time, I'll try to change it, but don't count on it being anytime soon (you never know though), sorry.