FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Starship Troopers... Robert A. Heinlein

dandollinger
Starship Troopers is probably the best book that i have ever read. IT IS NOTHING LIKE THE MOVIE, which really sucked because they made up their own story pretty much. Robert A. Heinlein is a brilliant writer and many other books by him are excellant, such as Citizen of the Galaxy and Sixth Column, another personal favorite.
SunburnedCactus
I've always heard good things about Heinlein, though I've yet to read one of his novels.

A similar example is Neuromancer by William Gibson, which is where The Matrix stole 90% of it's ideas from. And it is much much better than the film.
randyttp
Yeah I first watched the Movie version of "Starship Troopers" and was blown away. At the time and considering my age, it was one of the coolest sci-fi flicks around. The movie just kicks so much butt I will ALWAYS love it. Not to mention Denise Richards yow!!!

But a few years after seeing the movie I came across the original book (first edition if I remember correctly), it was just sitting in a dusty book shelf (my mom is an avid book collecter). So I read it and finished the whole thing in close to one day. Amazing! Ten times better then the movie. And quite a bit different as stated above. Its the only book I have read by the author but I think of him as a great author because of it.

But like I said I still love the movie. The people who made it still did an excellent job at creating their own unique view on the futuristic world. Movies cant capture the imagination an author express... But then again, with technology its becoming more and more relevant.
AardvarkSagus
I agree wholeheartedly, the book is so much better than the movie. Much more central on characters than intergalactic plot. I would almost go so far as to say that the movie wasn't really even about the book. If you need to see something on the screen about this subject matter I would suggest you look up the Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles. Much better plots and writing. Just wish they had finished the series. They need to make another movie, based on this series.