FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should posts with the word "Christmas" have more p

chasbeen
It could be an incentive with a maximum sized bumper 10 points.
However anyone caught posting about their summer holiday or completely unconnected subject and then adding "Christmas" at the end would have no points awarded.
Nameless
Honestly my first reaction was that this was a terrible, terrible idea (as if we need MORE borderline spam Christmas posts, I hypocritically tisk), but then I thought about it and realised that it's actually kind of not. It would encourage good-length posts instead of generic one-line greetings and only benefit those who put the effort in, plus the Christmass / New Year holidays are the one time of year when members are most likely to be away on holidays and therefore need the extra points 'stockpiled' before they leave. Obviously you'd only want this incentive active for a short period of time to avoid people abusing it, but you could expand the idea to include other short events - like for the occasional competition or features discussion (if those were seriously used again).

The hardest part, as you say, would be policing it - that's why setting the bonus up to apply to specific moderator-chosen topics would be most effective.
standready
Would be very hard to police plus an automated script I don't think would be that easy to generate so basically Bondings would have to read each of the many, many posts and add points if he deemed appropriate. I don't think there is that much time in the day.
deanhills
I don't know whether it would be such a good idea as I know that some of the atheists posting at Frihost may not be that happy to see plenty of Christmas around (I'm basing this on some of the discussions we had last year). Maybe Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New year would work better?
Ankhanu
As one of those atheists who really isn't interested in hearing or posting about Christmas, I can't say that that's really an issue. Christmas posts and such are going to be around... if we're not interested, we're usually pretty good at ignoring it (if we weren't we'd go utterly mad!).

I just think it's not really relevant. Most posters don't find 5 points incentive enough to post a decent post... I really doubt that 10 points is going to make a difference. Those that DO post in the 5 point range are already posting, and I doubt that being able to earn more will make a difference (especially since many of us will post well beyond the 5pt threshold anyway). Points are important to many posters, but, with that in mind, it's not really a limiting factor in how people appear to post; increasing the reward, when most people don't meet the maximum anyway, will likely have little effect.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
As one of those atheists who really isn't interested in hearing or posting about Christmas, I can't say that that's really an issue. Christmas posts and such are going to be around... if we're not interested, we're usually pretty good at ignoring it (if we weren't we'd go utterly mad!).
This was the thread I was thinking off - Not saying "Christmas" (Dear non-US Frihosters...):
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-120865.html#993283

After a heated debate there was a spin-off thread from it as well - Choosing between immoral and irrational:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-121986.html
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
This was the thread I was thinking off - Not saying "Christmas" (Dear non-US Frihosters...):
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-120865.html#993283

After a heated debate there was a spin-off thread from it as well - Choosing between immoral and irrational:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-121986.html

Yeah, I know there are sentiments around concerning the holidays... but I still don't see it as an issue. Those are a nice example of what i was saying, in a way too. I was an active board member while those were being discussed, but, not really caring about the topic, I didn't participate. Case in point Wink

If Chasbeen's idea was implemented, I don't think those people would cause a stink about it on principle. They might discuss it (or a related topic, and not the points thing specifically), but I really doubt anyone would be crying foul because of "Christmas".

As outlined above, I just don't think the idea has power to really motivate most posters to post, nor to post higher quality (well, at least quantity) posts.

EDIT - as a personal challenge, Dean, do you think that it would change your posting choices to have a 10pt Christmas mention rule in place? You're a frequent, high point poster anyway, I really doubt it would change your posting. I know it wouldn't change mine.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Yeah, I know there are sentiments around concerning the holidays... but I still don't see it as an issue. Those are a nice example of what i was saying, in a way too. I was an active board member while those were being discussed, but, not really caring about the topic, I didn't participate. Case in point Wink
Right, I did notice that and was completely impressed as well.

Ankhanu wrote:
EDIT - as a personal challenge, Dean, do you think that it would change your posting choices to have a 10pt Christmas mention rule in place? You're a frequent, high point poster anyway, I really doubt it would change your posting. I know it wouldn't change mine.
Obviously not. I'm on the Ghost Rider Band Wagon for trying to keep the post numbers up and feel a certain commitment to Frihost. The commitment of course is very subjective. No scientific evidence for it. Wink
Ghost Rider103
Also a note, many atheist actually celebrate Christmas.

Or at least I know quite a few atheist around here that do. People celebrate Christmas for the hell of a holiday, not always because of the actual meaning behind it. I mean really, who doesn't give gifts for Christmas (other than the religions that don't believe in it, I.e. Jehovah witnesses).

Everyone hop on the ghost rider band wagon. Laughing

Excuse this post if it had sevre typos. I'm on my cell phone writing this.
truespeed
I am an atheist i celebrate christmas,the word christmas has nothing to do with Christianity for me,i doubt it does for most people,the word may have christian origins but has since become a generic word for "the holiday season".
Nameless
I am an atheist and I feel people who use the term "holiday season" instead of "Christmas" deserve a punch in the face! Very Happy
loremar
When people said Christmas has lost it's true meaning, I didn't think of it as a bad thing. Razz
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
I am an atheist and I feel people who use the term "holiday season" instead of "Christmas" deserve a punch in the face! Very Happy
OK. So what do you prefer then? Question
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
So what do you prefer then?

Christmas is Christmas. Sure it originated from a Christianity, but what it realistically is NOW is friends and families taking time off from work together and spending their hard-earned cash on stuff for each other. As far as cultural events go, this isn't a bad thing! People who talk about the 'holiday season' tend to fall into one of two categories: arrogant jerks who can't accept how culture has evolved, or hypersensitive idiots who only reinforce the 'offense' they're attempting to avoid.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
So what do you prefer then?

Christmas is Christmas. Sure it originated from a Christianity, but what it realistically is NOW is friends and families taking time off from work together and spending their hard-earned cash on stuff for each other. As far as cultural events go, this isn't a bad thing! People who talk about the 'holiday season' tend to fall into one of two categories: arrogant jerks who can't accept how culture has evolved, or hypersensitive idiots who only reinforce the 'offense' they're attempting to avoid.
Awesome! Think I like this. A good one. Very Happy