FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.::Avatars::.

GDG
hey,

i was wondering if anyoen knows where i could get avatars from. i really coudl use some not just for my avatar, but i need some for my site, so that people can use them if they want.
i know some but they arent what im looking for, so if anyone coudl just give me soem sites that would be really appreciated, thnx a lot.

See Ya

P.S.
cant wait until Servic epack 3comes out for XP oh yea.
Bondings
I just disabled remote avatars. You can upload your avatar on your profile page, though.
dan751
I prefered to have it remotely hosted, even though it's only 5KB.Sad I doubt that there could be an exception for me. It's my picture of my friend Amy, and i wanted to have it on remotely hosted from my account, for some strange reason, I don't feel comfortable having it anywhere else. Oh well, I'll just have to think of a different avatar.Sad
ignition
Bondings wrote:
I just disabled remote avatars. You can upload your avatar on your profile page, though.

Why do people do that? Just curious. Do you prefer forcing people to use your own harddisk space? Question Razz
babumuchhala
Remote Uploading removes the filee size limit and that way one can have an Avatar of any damn size. So if i wished to have a whole movie playing in my avatar i could have using a remote avatar.

Thus to keep a tab on the file size of members avatar's it had to be put it place.
izcool
I'm guessing he disabled remote avatars on account of the hotlinking concern that many people dispute over.

- Mike.
n0obie4life
1. Remote avatars take up FRIHost's disk space.
2. So, when it takes up our disk space, it generates MORE bandwidth usage.

Quote:
Remote Uploading removes the filee size limit and that way one can have an Avatar of any damn size. So if i wished to have a whole movie playing in my avatar i could have using a remote avatar.
Thus to keep a tab on the file size of members avatar's it had to be put it place.

No. Otherwise, I wouldn't be telling people to change their avatars.
budazz
are you sure about this it might eat up a lot of bandwidth from you.. if you have many users 1 or two weeks your account will be suspended because your bandwidth have exceeded for the the given bandwidth..

and if you are sure about this , dont use the hot linking protection.. Very Happy
izcool
I don't exactly understand what you mean. You say that remote avatars take up YOUR disk space, how ? The only thing that I would see is a URL in your database that could take up the disk space. So you're not really accomplishing anything if you allow people to upload their avatars to FriHost's servers.

- Mike.
n0obie4life
Remote avatars are uploaded to

phpbb_root/images/avatars/ in FRIHost.

So doesn't that take up disk space and bandwidth / page view?
babumuchhala
@n0obir4life
what i meant was Remote Linking of Avatars & Not remote uploading. Sorry my mistake shouold have taken care of that while writing it :d

@budazz
how do u think frihost will run its bndwidth out when itself is a host and gives each account holder 10 GB worth of bandwidth and has over 3000 ppl hosted Confused
gonzo
babumuchhala wrote:
how do u think frihost will run its bndwidth out when itself is a host and gives each account holder 10 GB worth of bandwidth and has over 3000 ppl hosted Confused

I bet you a gold star that if FH had only 30,000 Gigs of transfer today that they'd suddenly become existentially challeged. FH probably allocates bandwidth in much the same way as a mobile phone provider... but staggeringly less sophicated-ly

http://www.footballcrests.com/
joshua_erceg
Some sites which I think have good anime Avatars are
http://www.ccrose.net
http://akutenshi.fake-wings.net/
Hope you find something you like Very Happy
n0obie4life
babumuchhala wrote:
@n0obir4life
what i meant was Remote Linking of Avatars & Not remote uploading. Sorry my mistake shouold have taken care of that while writing it :d

I explaining to izcool.
RosenCruz
Bondings wrote:

why did u disable avatars bond ?
Bondings
RosenCruz wrote:
Bondings wrote:

why did u disable avatars bond ?

Because most of them were way too big. A lot of people were complaining about it. The forum pages now load much faster, even on a fast connection. There is no way I'm going to write 10 pm's a day to people in order to keep them below the limit.
dan751
Bondings, I have a question regarding uploading an avatar to Frihost's avatar directory: after we upload the avatar, should we choose to delete it by means of the "Delete Image" checkbox in our profile, will it be deleted from the directory? or will it remain there?
Bondings
dan751 wrote:
Bondings, I have a question regarding uploading an avatar to Frihost's avatar directory: after we upload the avatar, should we choose to delete it by means of the "Delete Image" checkbox in our profile, will it be deleted from the directory? or will it remain there?

PhpBB should remove it. When I removed my alien avatar, the first one, then the link to it stopped working.

Of course, you could also just send me a pm with a link to your avarar and ask me to remove it manually. It's just a few minutes work for me.

Also, by default your avatar is cached by most browsers. Until you clear your cache manually (with the browser doesn't work, you need to do it with the "disk cleaner" of Windows), the image will remain in the cache. It might be hidden and unknown by most people, but it is still there.
ldnet
i will post some avatars later on, have to find the website first, damn bookmarks their huge.
n0obie4life
Bondings wrote:
Also, by default your avatar is cached by most browsers. Until you clear your cache manually (with the browser doesn't work, you need to do it with the "disk cleaner" of Windows), the image will remain in the cache. It might be hidden and unknown by most people, but it is still there.

Pfft, www.ccleaner.com
TreadStone
thx for the avatar explain bondings.
godam64
don't forget about the copyright policy. someone can sue you if you mass with them. try find free avatars from several search engine Very Happy
ocalhoun
GDG wrote:

i was wondering if anyoen knows where i could get avatars from. i really coudl use some not just for my avatar, but i need some for my site, so that people can use them if they want.
i know some but they arent what im looking for, so if anyone coudl just give me soem sites that would be really appreciated, thnx a lot.

Just do an image search on google for whatever kind of picture you want there. Pick your image. Copy the thumbnail -- don't get the full-size version. Do a little bit of resizing (the one I picked was 110 pixels high, so I cut off the extra using the gimp).

This is a great way to get whatever image you want into it
GDG
thnx alot everyone. oh and thank you Bondings about your explanation for the avatar thing. Now we wont have to break rules, which is a good thing because then the site will be fast and not lagging. And i just wanted to know what these $frih are used for. will they be implemented later on or what.
thnx again everyone, apreciated it.

See Ya
Def1ler
joshua_erceg wrote:
Some sites which I think have good anime Avatars are
http://www.ccrose.net
http://akutenshi.fake-wings.net/
Hope you find something you like Very Happy

Nice website, very interesting.

And i did not knew all these things about the avatar.
Really nice forum to learn some things Very Happy.
budazz
babumuchhala wrote:
@n0obir4life

@budazz

i thought you will host it on your own account....bcoz there is a case that he runs out of bandwidth when he used the avatar ...bcoz it came from his own bandwidth...
n0obie4life
budazz wrote:
babumuchhala wrote:
@budazz

Ah, I just saw that. No FRIHost won't run out of bandwidth. Bondings will pay more for Bandwidth usage.