FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Social Media Marketing

liljp617
Just wondering if we have any other social media or Internet marketers around Frihost. How long have you been involved with Internet marketing? What channels of online communication have you found to be the most successful? Do you have a blog?

I've been involved with marketing online for about 4-5 years and recently started a social media marketing blog: http://mysocialgameplan.com

If you have questions about online marketing, ask them! Always good to share info with each other.
menino
Nice site you have liljp617.

In terms of getting more hits for your site, how can you do that for free?
And also, linking to facebook and twitter, how can you post the people that like your website on the page?
liljp617
menino wrote:
Nice site you have liljp617.

Thank you Smile

Quote:
In terms of getting more hits for your site, how can you do that for free?

Overall, you have to ensure you have high quality content that provides immediate value when someone lands on your site. Content is king and always will be. Sometimes providing value can mean giving free reports away (such as "click here for your free report about marketing on Facebook!"). Sometimes value is showing you have the best knowledge on a certain topic and providing great information to anyone who stops on your site. Value can be anything really...maybe your writing style is fun to read. Maybe you sell a product people simply want to have and you provide a convenient way of getting it.

As for specific (technical) things:

1) Search engines are dominant. Make sure you have good SEO (search engine optimization) for your site. In general, this means having fresh content, high quality keyword usage, lots of backlinks to your website from other ranked sites in your niche, and so on. There are way too many factors involved with SEO to cover in one post, but the overall gist of it is that you want to make it easy for search engines to understand exactly what kind of content is on your site. That way you rank high in search engines and get hits.

If you're not too familiar with SEO, I'd recommend you start reading http://seomoz.org

2) Definitely spread the word about any site updates (especially if you have a blog on your site) using all social media. Get involved in the conversations relevant to your site. Facebook (either with a group or a fan page), Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, make YouTube videos. I highly recommend you submit your site and any great content you have to StumbleUpon. Reddit, Digg, Squidoo, message boards, etc. Get things going "viral." That's what the Internet is all about.

3) If you blog, find other bloggers in your niche and see if they're open to allowing guest posts on their blog. If you guest post on another blog, usually the owner will allow you to put a 2-3 sentence endorsement of yourself and a link to your site within your guest post. If you get a good guest post on a big name blog in your niche, your traffic will skyrocket.

Just a start, but read up on those things if you're not too familiar with them. It's a good start and you'll find some things you can implement immediately and see results.

Quote:
And also, linking to facebook and twitter, how can you post the people that like your website on the page?

I'm not 100% sure what you're referring to here. Are you talking about something similar to the "Like" box at the bottom of this page: http://www.homecuisineonline.com/contact
truespeed
Very nice well laid out informative site.
liljp617
truespeed wrote:
Very nice well laid out informative site.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Now if I could just find the motivation to sit down and pump out a good new post Razz
deanhills
Agreed. Quite a fantastic Website. Love the design. Looks like HTML5! Are you running it off Frihost or do you have paid hosting for it?
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
Agreed. Quite a fantastic Website. Love the design. Looks like HTML5! Are you running it off Frihost or do you have paid hosting for it?

Appreciate the kind words! I pay for my own hosting and it's just a free Wordpress.org blogging template with some basic edits. I couldn't begin to tell you how to code a site like that even if you paid me haha
menino
Thanks for the info, liljp617.
I know very little about SEO's but they are the current buzzwords that I hear about every now and then, and don't really completely know the full technology of it.

Still, I have a better idea now, and also about "free marketing".
It was a question asked by a potential customer, and I have no idea about it, so I'll answer her now appropraitely with your information as well.
liljp617
menino wrote:
Thanks for the info, liljp617.
I know very little about SEO's but they are the current buzzwords that I hear about every now and then, and don't really completely know the full technology of it.

Still, I have a better idea now, and also about "free marketing".
It was a question asked by a potential customer, and I have no idea about it, so I'll answer her now appropraitely with your information as well.

My pleasure. You can pass this site along to your friend: http://marketing.grader.com/?s=wsg

It's a tool from Hubspot (quickly becoming a strong industry leader) that scans through your site/blog and gives you some clues on what you need to improve regarding SEO. Free and only takes a second to scan. Might give your friend some relatively easy tasks she can do to improve her search engine presence, which means more traffic.

skseofleet wrote:
How to create a plan for social media marketing of websites?

That's a very broad question. Difficult to answer well.

To start, you'll want to, at the very least, have active accounts on what I deem the "Big Four" of social media => Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. If you're marketing a physical location, you might want to look into foursquare and similar geo-social networks.

After you have those accounts set up, add social media sharing buttons to your site or blog to make it easy for people to interact socially on your site. Start producing content -- videos, white papers, case studies, blog posts, eBooks, PDF guides, etc. -- and sharing it via these social media platforms. You have to provide value to people in order for them to care about you.

The driving key of all online marketing (and perhaps all business period): You must first give to others before you receive anything in return. Start sharing other peoples' content, engaging other people in your respective niche or industry, linking to and commenting on blogs of other people in your niche, and so on. Work on bringing people together, and you'll start to be known as "that guy who made connections." People like when other people make connections for them. You'll gain a presence quickly.

Lastly, this. IMMEDIATELY: Find an email list building service (Aweber, MailChimp, or others) and start building an email subscription list. Everything in online marketing is about "The List." The bigger your list and the better relationship you have with your list, the more you'll be able to accomplish. This is the concept of email marketing. There's too much to say about it in this one post...there's books on the subject of email marketing for a reason Razz Just trust me when I say: If you don't have a list you consistently engage with, you will not be nearly as successful as you could be.

Now, that's an extremely brief rundown of building an online marketing strategy. There are so many things I left unmentioned, because there's simply too much to talk about. If you go to a local library, I'm sure you'll find a lot of books on Internet marketing, social media marketing, etc. Too much info for one post. And I'm lazy Very Happy

If you're interested, make visiting the big-name blogs a habit:

http://mashable.com
http://problogger.net
http://copyblogger.com
http://marketingprofs.com
http://socialmediaexaminer.com
cash2make
Social Media Marketing is very important to getting your website out there and to generate revenue from it. If your site doesn't have top notch keywords and backlinks linking to other social media sites then it wont ever become a top notch website.
RichardM55
I would like to use facebook for advertising my website and I don't know how to do that exactly.
Of course, I don't want to use paid advertising over there. I have tried to create my page there but I could not make my link to my website seen clearly there.
psychorollercoaster
Nice site...although I would have really loved it if it had more on SMM analytics and measurement metrics....any plans of add more of tht??
liljp617
RichardM55 wrote:
I would like to use facebook for advertising my website and I don't know how to do that exactly.
Of course, I don't want to use paid advertising over there. I have tried to create my page there but I could not make my link to my website seen clearly there.

I'd love to help, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Were you able to get through the process of actually creating a page? If you created a page, did you just have trouble editing your page and putting your website in?

psychorollercoaster wrote:
Nice site...although I would have really loved it if it had more on SMM analytics and measurement metrics....any plans of add more of tht??

First, thank you for the compliment.

Secondly, I'd like to get into that, but doing any meaningful market research requires tons of time, survey creation, a steady stream of respondents, and lots of analysis. Right now we lack the subscribers and followers to really reach out to people and get a solid number of quality survey respondents. I'm also not really comfortable doing statistical analyses. There are a handful of websites that are solely dedicated to social media marketing research as well, so I generally just use their research findings.

For SMM analytics, you'll like:

http://marketingprofs.com
http://blog.hubspot.com
grandspoter
Social marketing is become very well know work on the in the business advertising planning. Social websites allows you to show up what your are doing.
BarryV
Social Media Marketing is increasing becoming important tool that every business can use to advertise their business and; if implemented with traditional marketing help towards success and growth for your business.
biolu
Well it depends a lot on what kind of business you have. If it's a BtB, there is not really a point to invest into social media marketing. Unless you plan to go BtC.
rmines
Thank you for some really good information about Internet marketing.
Am currently working with a client in a job-training program who will really benefit from this information.