FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Star Wars :: The Old Republic





Tuvitor
So I've got a chance to play the beta for SWTOR, and now that the NDA has been lifted, I must say, as a fan of both Bioware games and MMO's, this game is like mixing peanut butter and chocolate into yummy Reese's Cups.

With the companions, the rich storylines, and all the voice-acted quests (Im willing to bet that ~half of that ~15GB download is voice assets). Continuing the story of Knights of the Old Republic from 300 years later, as Bastila and Revan's descendant Satele leads the Jedi Order, an ancient threat once thought gone forever has returned and makes war on the Republic--the Sith Empire.

My own personal favorite class at the moment is the Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardian, but I usually prefer tanking in any given MMO setting. The gameplay is a lot of fun, and the companions are far better than most MMO pets, allowing you to improve their gear and build them on a par with your own characters.

My main beta characters are on Canderous Ordo/Republic, but I will probably end up on whatever server my guild leader chooses when Early Access opens for those of us who preordered.
drunkenkoz
This game was alright in my opinion. I to played in the beta, but really didn't like it after I got to a high enough level. I'm going to stick with the upcoming releases of Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Ankhanu
I've been playing The Old Republic since, I think, 23 December, and it's proven to be a pretty solid game so far.

There's less of an emphasis on the MMO aspect of the game, which I dig. I can play through the entire story without grouping up with other players if I want... but to be thorough, and complete all the quests, playing with others is an occasional must. It's a lot like playing Knights of the Old Republic on an online server.

The setting is a large part of the draw, obviously. If the game wasn't set as Star Wars, I doubt I'd be as interested... I certainly wouldn't pay the subscription fee... but I'm a sucker for Star Wars, lightsabers and the like.

The graphics are pretty decent, definitely a step up from games like WoW, and the controls are simple enough. The roleplay aspects are pretty decently set up, with different conversation options affecting your light side/dark side balance and your standing with your companion characters... again, reminiscent of KotOR. It helps make player choices have some meaning, and make you feel like your choices matter, rather than the normal railroading of most MMOs I've played.

I have 4 characters created over 2 servers right now, a male Twi'lek Jedi Shadow, female Twi'lek Sith Sorceress, female human Sith Marauder and a female Mirialan Smuggler Scoundrel. The comparable classes between the Empire and Republic classes are pretty similar, it's just flavour changes to how the abilities look and their names... I've gotten each character to at least level 10 and off their starting realm, with my Sith Sorceress at 16 now. It's been pretty fun so far, with lots left to do!
mathiaus
I am very interested in this but unwilling to pay the monthly fee. If they lowered it and I though I play on it nearly all the time, I would pay. Maybe if they introduced a yearly fee with a discount, I would be more interested them?
Ankhanu
mathiaus wrote:
I am very interested in this but unwilling to pay the monthly fee. If they lowered it and I though I play on it nearly all the time, I would pay. Maybe if they introduced a yearly fee with a discount, I would be more interested them?


They have up to a 6 month sub for less:

swtor.com FAQ wrote:

Will I need to purchase a monthly subscription in order to play Star Wars: The Old Republic?
Yes, a monthly subscription is required to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. Players will be able to select one of three different subscription options:

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (8.99/12.99)
3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/25.17/35.97)
6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/46.14/65.94)


Personally, I'm leery of paying for a long term subscription; I tend to play games pretty heavily for a little while, then stop playing almost completely. Short-term subscriptions cost a little more, technically, but if I stop playing in two months, I've spent less Razz

When you buy the game, you also get 30-days for "free", but you still have to sign up for a subscription to get it. So, though I had to sign up, I won't be billed for Dec.23-Jan.23.


In general, I don't like pay-to-play games myself, and I've always avoided them... but we got our copy of The Old Republic for free as a gift, so we went for it. I don't mind buying software, and I don't mind a usage fee... but I abhor having to do both Razz Make the software free and have a service fee, or charge for the software and have the service free, not both! I hate the idea of buying software that you cannot actually use without giving over more money; it just feels greasy.
Tuvitor
I've rolled a Jedi Guardian on Darth Bandon, and leveled him up to 50, but I was in a small guild of IRL friends who rarely have enough people on at once to do ops, and I'm not a big fan of pugging with random people... so I've rolled two new toons on two other servers. I'm leveling one on Vulkar Highway (another Jedi Guardian because it's a PVP server and I want enough survivability to be able to run like hell or stand my ground depending on the numbers I'm facing when being attacked by Imps) and I'm leveling a Sith Sorcerer on Lord Praven (light side Sith, like Lord Praven himself)

It's been an awesome game so far... very solid, very fun. I prefer subscription games to free-to-play because the free-to-play model tends to give advantages to the people who fork over more cash in their stores, whereas a subscription game tends to give everyone equal opportunity.
luciferfawkes
mathiaus wrote:
I am very interested in this but unwilling to pay the monthly fee. If they lowered it and I though I play on it nearly all the time, I would pay. Maybe if they introduced a yearly fee with a discount, I would be more interested them?


If you're interested MMOs and don't want to pay each month, then wait for Guild Wars 2. The game should be revolutionary within the MMO genre. Just this past weekend, they had a small closed beta for certain people of the press and everyone has said nothing but great things for the game. Certainly keep an eye out for it, it'll be out later this year.
kudy
nothing~!
drunkenkoz
luciferfawkes wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
I am very interested in this but unwilling to pay the monthly fee. If they lowered it and I though I play on it nearly all the time, I would pay. Maybe if they introduced a yearly fee with a discount, I would be more interested them?


If you're interested MMOs and don't want to pay each month, then wait for Guild Wars 2. The game should be revolutionary within the MMO genre. Just this past weekend, they had a small closed beta for certain people of the press and everyone has said nothing but great things for the game. Certainly keep an eye out for it, it'll be out later this year.

Lucifer is right on the ball with this one. Guild Wars 2 is one of the most anticipated games because of their hit title Guild Wars and for the fact that it's going to be free to play. Sure there are a lot of free to play MMORPGs currently out there but none of them are able to match Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 is going to knock out the competition of free to play, in my honest opinion.
silverdown
I played it on someone else system but didnt see a need to go get it myself
Tuvitor
I got my Sith sorcerer up to level 50... I was light side IV, and still got my Darth name and a seat on the Dark Council.

The Sith Inquisitor story is one of the best game stories I've played... easily on a par with Revan's story in Knights of the Old Republic.

Guild Wars 2 doesn't really interest me...yet. I am taking a break from SWTOR (sort of, I still log in to do some of my dailies every day or two) and am considering reactivating my Rift subscription.
matrixuk321
drunkenkoz wrote:
luciferfawkes wrote:
mathiaus wrote:
I am very interested in this but unwilling to pay the monthly fee. If they lowered it and I though I play on it nearly all the time, I would pay. Maybe if they introduced a yearly fee with a discount, I would be more interested them?


If you're interested MMOs and don't want to pay each month, then wait for Guild Wars 2. The game should be revolutionary within the MMO genre. Just this past weekend, they had a small closed beta for certain people of the press and everyone has said nothing but great things for the game. Certainly keep an eye out for it, it'll be out later this year.

Lucifer is right on the ball with this one. Guild Wars 2 is one of the most anticipated games because of their hit title Guild Wars and for the fact that it's going to be free to play. Sure there are a lot of free to play MMORPGs currently out there but none of them are able to match Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 is going to knock out the competition of free to play, in my honest opinion.


I hate it when people do not understand Free 2 Play. Guild wars 2 is not FREE 2 PLAY. Guild wars 2 is Buy 2 Play (B2P), you must buy the game.

Calling it Free 2 Play is like calling every game a free game, do you think Assassins creed is free 2 play? No you must buy the box. Buy 2 Play.

Smile
luciferfawkes
@matrixuk321 we understand you need to buy the game, but it's safe to say to ignore this fact and look at the bigger picture that it's still free to play after purchase. I understand your point though. We're just looking at the fact that it's not subscription based like most AAA titles.
Tuvitor
They recently started giving free transfers for people on low population servers to the big (heavy pop) ones. I have found this to be a good move. My server was dying big time... we'd have peak population in fleet at around 100 in prime time, but a lot of the time there would only be around 10 in fleet, and I'd never be able to find groups...

Now it's like a whole different game. I never see fleet drop below 100 even in these wee morning hours now, and I can find groups for even the heroics of mid-level worlds.
misterspawn
Awesome game
Tuvitor
And, it's getting ready to be ruined, so I've pretty much dropped playing. Cancelled my sub this month and such.

SWTOR is moving to the very same (free to play, pay to win) model that ruined LotRO for me.

Been playing a lot of Civilization 5 these days. Gods & Kings is a great expansion. So yeah... bye SWTOR. :p
slimviking
Tuvitor wrote:
So I've got a chance to play the beta for SWTOR, and now that the NDA has been lifted, I must say, as a fan of both Bioware games and MMO's, this game is like mixing peanut butter and chocolate into yummy Reese's Cups.

With the companions, the rich storylines, and all the voice-acted quests (Im willing to bet that ~half of that ~15GB download is voice assets). Continuing the story of Knights of the Old Republic from 300 years later, as Bastila and Revan's descendant Satele leads the Jedi Order, an ancient threat once thought gone forever has returned and makes war on the Republic--the Sith Empire.
.


I have enjoyed the beta but I found all thing a little repetitive, just and endless dueling and hoarding points.
The original KOTOR was a totally different game
slimviking
Tuvitor wrote:
So I've got a chance to play the beta for SWTOR, and now that the NDA has been lifted, I must say, as a fan of both Bioware games and MMO's, this game is like mixing peanut butter and chocolate into yummy Reese's Cups.

My own personal favorite class at the moment is the Sith Juggernaut/Jedi Guardian, but I usually prefer tanking in any given MMO setting. The gameplay is a lot of fun, and the companions are far better than most MMO pets, allowing you to improve their gear and build them on a par with your own characters.


I've tried but I was a little disappointed.
I've tried the spy, thinking to do something spying related, but was just and endless fight, killing hordes and hordes of stupid enemies.

Something more apt for teens than mature gamers.
testsoc
Frankly I think they botched this. I like MMORPGs, and I like sRPGs, but this was a spawn of the two that just did not work. The story was decent, but nothing on sRPG because it killed the 'persistent world' aspect of MMOs, and the fact that you can see quite visibly that everyone else is on the same rails as you. But likewise, they mostly failed the MMO genre, again, because of the focus on the story, because the group content was really lacklustre.

I think they should've just made KOTOR3. Too many publishers wanting on the MMO monthly sub bandwagon and it just isn't sustainable.
nirav07
i am a big fan of staar wars played every game of it. but suffering from money issue to buy this one
Maelkun
This game is not free? maybe he will be free later
manverupl
I think that SW:TOR is very good online game. I take part in beta test. When the full version of game shown I bought a subscription for few months, and play then. When the subscription ends I don't have enough money to buy it for next months so I stop playing it. Now when SW: TOR is free to play I get back to it and its realized thats its even better, but still i must buy a subscription it give more options...
Related topics
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith leaked online
Favorite Star Wars Character
Favorite Star Wars Movie
Star Wars - Revenge of the siths
What is your favourite Star Wars game?
Star Wars - Republic Command
Knights of the old republic
Star Wars XXVI (Fan Film)
Watching Star Wars
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: The Old Republic
star wars
Star Wars The Old Republic
Star Wars Saga on Blue-ray
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.