FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS2 or PS3 for my 6 year son ?

bukaida
I am a person of the PC world. I have little/no concept of the console. As my son is targeting my laptop for gaming, I must buy him a console to save it. Now I am a sony fan, so will go for either ps2 or ps3.

1. PS2 has lots of titles available (in cheaper price). Also the price of the console is 1/3 of that of
PS3.

2. PS3 is much advanced with superior graphics quality (with HDMI port). However the titles at
present are quite few and very costly. The price of the console is thrice than PS2.

At his level, what should I do? I have one analog and one digital TV. Is it worthy to invest that much money at this level?

One more question, does sony has any plan in near future to scrap PS2 ? Also the new game releases are based on PS3 not PS2 (although PS2 already has a good number of titles under it's sleeve).
WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
truespeed
PS2 titles can be got second hand really cheap on amazon,you could get 15 games for the price of one ps3 game,if hes too young too care about having the latest gadgets and just wants to play games get the ps2.
Hello_World
With PS3 you can also buy PlayTV and record programs from the TV, you can also integrate your internet with your TV, I find it useful in those regards too.
Nameless
Get the PS2. The graphics are fine and the greater library to choose from will help when you're picking out games that are okay for your son. You can always get a PS3 later when it eventually becomes 'old' and cheap, but if you get a PS3 now then you might miss out on a lot of PS2 games as they become rarer.
Dementei
I would buy a computer for him haha, start while hes young, then when he grows up his uber micro will be fully polished... or you can buy PS2 and wait till he's about 10 for computer? Wink
Tuvitor
I have to agree with Dementei. I've always found the PC versions of games to be the best ones, but then again I like to mod and tweak my games (when I can) after I beat them.
bukaida
Thanx guys, I am going with the PS2.

However eBay is offering a modded version( without warranty) along with 20-30 games. Should I go with that or should I stick to the originals ? I can buy maximum one game/ month (original) in normal case.

Last but not the least, suggest few games for him. He likes fighting and shooting games and played all versions of Serious Sam ( in god mode Very Happy ) on my laptop. Also he is very fond of the Tarzan game by Disney (PC).
wombatrpgs
Six years old seems a little young for console gaming, but I guess that's only an opinion.
gverutes
Go simple with a 6 year old. PS2 is fine, plus cheaper.
Dementei
You'd be surprised how well the young generations adapt to technology today, depending on the culture and all that of course. And shoot bukaida lives in India, they got tons of advanced tech over there ja?
drunkenkoz
You ought to buy your son a PC instead of a PS2 or 3. The reason for this is computers are going to be our entire future and having him grow up on the machine is a good thing in a way. Just monitor the amount of time he spends on the PC.
bukaida
He already has a netbook with winXP and 1GB DDR2 RAM and atom processor Very Happy . He can startup, shut-down , open applications (like paint or built in games like pinball) on that. As the hardware has limited capacity w.r.t gaming and also the screen size is small, he is not satisfied and often goes for my laptop. Hence for saving mine ( and also the keypads of the netbook) I have to go with this solution.

PS. I have bought the PS2 slim this week with one additional controller. Now he can put/eject cds by himself and also can attach/remove the controllers and cables. He is happy with "Street Fighter" now.His mother is using it as a tool to make him study additional hours Very Happy
Dementei
bukaida wrote:
He is happy with "Street Fighter" now.His mother is using it as a tool to make him study additional hours Very Happy

Ahaha, nice man, very useful tool indeed Very Happy
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:
You ought to buy your son a PC instead of a PS2 or 3. The reason for this is computers are going to be our entire future and having him grow up on the machine is a good thing in a way. Just monitor the amount of time he spends on the PC.

This is a good point, actually.
bukaida
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

He already has one but with less processing power. So it is not very much suitable for gaming ( He is not interested in lesser graphics games). However PC is already part of his school curriculum(they call it "Smart classes" --huh), so he cannot avoid that ( in fact he enjoys that).
wombatrpgs
bukaida wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

He already has one but with less processing power. So it is not very much suitable for gaming ( He is not interested in lesser graphics games). However PC is already part of his school curriculum(they call it "Smart classes" --huh), so he cannot avoid that ( in fact he enjoys that).

Oh, not interested in lesser graphical games? Ha, well, I hope he enjoys his computer classes...! Sounds like a great curriculum.
bukaida
He can now draw a basic picture through mouse in paint. However he enjoys more in drawing the same with pencil and paper. The computer has solely one purpose to him--Gaming ( Go to desktop, double click the icon). These kids are more tech-savvy than us, but smart--hmm, only time will prove.
johans
any free link for free PSP games download? if you can share much better.

thank you.
wombatrpgs
johans wrote:
any free link for free PSP games download? if you can share much better.

thank you.

Careful there. Unless you mean you're looking for freeware PSP games, this reads a lot like a piracy request.
bukaida
You can google it with appropriate search key Wink
weed
don't buy ps3 or ps2 its a waste of money and moreover it causes damage to ur t.v resulting huge money on reparing instead buy him a psp go or psp vita
johans
Any idea on sony Ericsson cellphone whic has also PSP capabilities? is it good? how responsive.. I am just worried if there is a phone call and if you are playing games and a call will be missed. What is the version on sony erricsson psp phone?

I have also problem when the psp3 or psp 2 hangs up.. you need them to reset to factory settings and make all default in setting to NO option and go to picture gallery then need to try how many time to wait for green screen.. this is really wired.. any body encounter this issue?

how do you do it if you encounter this issue? any other procedure to do it?
wombatrpgs
weed wrote:
don't buy ps3 or ps2 its a waste of money and moreover it causes damage to ur t.v resulting huge money on reparing instead buy him a psp go or psp vita

Wait, what? Can you provide a source for this? That's quite a claim.
bukaida
Yeah, thats ridiculous. You should stop attaching any video player to your TV for the same reason. Every TV has a life for its picture tube/panel. It doesn't depend on the content you are playing.
spinout
ps3 is the only way, ps2 is not existant today more than for collectors.
wombatrpgs
spinout wrote:

What about that library of amazing PS2 games? They're not outdated by any means, and not limited to collectors only.
bukaida
wombatrpgs wrote:
spinout wrote:

What about that library of amazing PS2 games? They're not outdated by any means, and not limited to collectors only.

Absolutely. Just look at Amazon or e-Bay, you will see them roaring.
Cosmoslayer
Go for PS3. They're making PS2 classics anyway. XD
ujjwalshrestha
PS3 - go for the latest one.