FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Changing over to Linux





onlinesteve614
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....
Peterssidan
Test a few and see what you like. If you are changing for the reason you are saying I think it's likely you will go for Ubuntu (or one of its derivatives like Xubuntu or Kubuntu)
Tuvitor
As a long-time Linux user, I'll tell you right now to not bother. The Ubuntus have gone to crap. Windows 7 does the desktop OS job far better, anyways. If you're planning on running servers however, then Debian is totally the way to go. Or FreeBSD if you really like to do things the right way.
Fire Boar
Tuvitor wrote:
As a long-time Linux user, I'll tell you right now to not bother. The Ubuntus have gone to crap. Windows 7 does the desktop OS job far better, anyways. If you're planning on running servers however, then Debian is totally the way to go. Or FreeBSD if you really like to do things the right way.


Debian has its merits as a server, yes, although it's a shame that it lacks something like the RedHat family's chkconfig/service utilities. Instead, to start and stop daemons and edit daemon run configurations you have to run the executables directly from /etc/init.d and rename the links in /etc/rc*.d which is a bit of a faff. It's a matter of preference really.

I disagree on the desktop side though: just because ubuntu hasn't been good at desktops since Unity showed up doesn't mean that Linux is bad at desktops. Just pick a different distro, like Fedora. Gnome 3 is pretty good actually, and if you want a more "Windowsy" feel, there's always the KDE or XFCE varieties, both of which are solid.
cresvale
How about Linux MINT? maybe now we should try linuxmint.
menino
For economic reasons, I think Ubuntu is the most viable option, having that it has many support forums, some compatibility to windows environments, and that it has a billionaire backing it up.
But you'll have to get your staff through a huge learning curve, and change management.
flamepjlh
onlinesteve614 wrote:
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....



What do you need your computer do?                               
                                                     
You can't play a lot games on Ubuntu.                                 
                                                      
Sad Sad
k_s_baskar
Don't forget to try Centos 6 the latest Enterprises Operating which is developed from RedHat. This GPL open source version really rocks. especially if you are planning run webserver like apache or lighttpd in it.
Smile
chrmina
onlinesteve614 wrote:
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....


"We" being who? Are you talking about your personal computer you have at home playing games or the computers at your work or school?

First please tell us what you would like to do with your computer(s). Do you want to have a web server or just a desktop running office apps? Your choice will depend on what you want to do. Some GNU/Linux distros are better for servers (e.g. RHEL, CentOS) and some "friendlier" for desktops (e.g. Ubuntu, Fedora).

Whatever your choice, you can't go wrong with a GNU/Linux distro, but if this is the first time you will be using one choose a distro with a big userbase and support community.
oreogami
If your going to use GNU/Linux, you should probably go with Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu. If you know what your doing, and you know how to use GNU/Linux well, try gentoo or Arch Linux.
PeteWalker74
Could use more input on your situation, software requirements of the programs needed, hardware available, etc.
miteY
I Linux just for learning. Which do you think I should use?

And I'm new to Linux. How do I set it up?

Thanks you all
Bondings
@miteY, burn a dvd (or cd) of the Linux distro of your choice. Then boot from it and follow the instructions on your screen - and make sure not to overwrite your Windows installation, if you wish to keep it at least.

What about Mageia, which is a Mandriva fork and user friendly?
miteY
@Bondings
I currently run Windows 7 Home. Can it run with say, Ubuntu on the same partition?

Secondly, it would be better if I had an idea of the various Linux distributions. I only know of Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora. So I'm totally new to it

Thanks for the help.
Bondings
miteY wrote:
@Bondings
I currently run Windows 7 Home. Can it run with say, Ubuntu on the same partition?

No, you will need to create extra partitions and you will hence probably have to resize the Windows partition to make space for them. Make sure not to let the Windows partition go above 85-90% utilization since that can slow down your Windows (and not only when resizing, in general).

You'll need a partition for the root file system (all linux files), one for the home directory (for your files and any other users files) and one for the swap. You should be able do this with the cd/dvd of your Linux distro (at least with most of them). Always back up your most important data on a separate hard disk/usb drive first. If you later want to change to a different Linux distro, you can simply use the current swap and home partition (and hence keep your files/settings) and install the new Linux distro in the root filesystem partition.

Also, most Linux distributions can be checked out without having to install them. They can be run from the CD/DVD without every touching your hard drive. This way you can also check if everything is working fine before the install (eg sound, wifi, ...). Just note that it will be pretty slow to boot and start any programs considering everything needs to be loaded from the CD/DVD, which is pretty slow. Once installed it will be much faster.
miteY wrote:
Secondly, it would be better if I had an idea of the various Linux distributions. I only know of Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora. So I'm totally new to it .

Together with OpenSuse, I would say that those are the most popular desktop Linux distributions. With more popular distributions you can usually find more help online, but that doesn't mean that the less popular ones are worse. I use Mandriva/Mageia and am pretty happy with it.

The best way would be try a few of them by burning each on a cd/dvd and running them from the cd/dvd without installing and then decide which one you like best (first eliminate the ones which didn't run properly, obviously). And once you decide which one to take, start installing it and don't forget to keep the Windows partition.
flamepjlh
onlinesteve614 wrote:
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....


                                                  
Ubuntu is great, but has few applications for daily use.                        
                                                    
Sad Sad
rodexa
miteY wrote:
I Linux just for learning. Which do you think I should use?

And I'm new to Linux. How do I set it up?

Thanks you all

openSuse is easy to setup. I use it for years now.
xikaouj
I like Centos which is sute for my notebook.
chicanh
I love Fedora, but i must install Ubunto 9.04, my notebook only compatibility with it.
Marcuzzo
I've tried several distro's and my favorite one's are still slackware and debian.
ubuntu is nice and all but it is just another version of debian
adri
I would suggest to try a few before you settle. Because it's too much hassle to actually install these and delete them on your computer one by one, I would recommend to first download VirtualBox and make a few virtual machines with another Linux distribution in each one. Smile

For people who have never worked with Linux before, I would recommend Ubuntu but be sure to test a few of them out before you actually choose.
flamepjlh
onlinesteve614 wrote:
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....

                                                   
Ubuntu is a great linux OS for desktop. I think.                            
                                                    

Very Happy Very Happy
kobraz
Ubuntu the best if your skill on linux is begginer, if not - use Gentoo or debian.
welshsteve
Is the new Unity interface really that bad? I've not used Ubuntu for a few years now, but I have an old computer I wouldn't mind getting a Linux distro on to.

I hear LinuxMint is growing in popularity all the time.
pauline123
I would (from my own [personal experience] recommend staying away from Ubuntu, however it works well for some, it just depends on what you plan to do on it. The best advice that anyone on a personal level can give is to try multiple distros and see what fits you best. On older software or lower-end software one might want to choose a light distribution or one that gives you complete control over what it installs, in this situation I would suggest Arch Linux. However that is only an opinion, it is not a statement that it is necessarily what you want to do in the situation.
attilax
pauline123 wrote:
I would (from my own [personal experience] recommend staying away from Ubuntu, however it works well for some, it just depends on what you plan to do on it. The best advice that anyone on a personal level can give is to try multiple distros and see what fits you best. On older software or lower-end software one might want to choose a light distribution or one that gives you complete control over what it installs, in this situation I would suggest Arch Linux. However that is only an opinion, it is not a statement that it is necessarily what you want to do in the situation.


i think so Arch not friendly for beginners Smile

ubuntu, mint, fedora, magiea, pclinuxos are easily install and use ... in my wiew
albiemer
onlinesteve614 wrote:
Hi. I think we might be forced due to economics to consider changing our operating system over to Linux from Windows. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Ubuntu....


just stop to think for peace of mind"
albiemer
welshsteve wrote:
Is the new Unity interface really that bad? I've not used Ubuntu for a few years now, but I have an old computer I wouldn't mind getting a Linux distro on to.

I hear LinuxMint is growing in popularity all the time.


cheers
albiemer
kobraz wrote:
Ubuntu the best if your skill on linux is begginer, if not - use Gentoo or debian.


ubuntu is is operating system"


alright
albiemer
pauline123 wrote:
I would (from my own [personal experience] recommend staying away from Ubuntu, however it works well for some, it just depends on what you plan to do on it. The best advice that anyone on a personal level can give is to try multiple distros and see what fits you best. On older software or lower-end software one might want to choose a light distribution or one that gives you complete control over what it installs, in this situation I would suggest Arch Linux. However that is only an opinion, it is not a statement that it is necessarily what you want to do in the situation.


weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Blog designer
OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final Launches!
Mac vs Linux
Who All Believes In Evolution?
open source software
1984
Will Windows last forvever?
Making a new partition on a drive with a single partition
Google Analytics
Preventing desktop changes in Windows 98?
transparent proxy server over linux using squid
Linux vs. Windows (for businesses)
Why people hate Mac-OS (users)?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.