FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

moderator forum

Bikerman
It isn't anything that you need to know about. It is a forum where the staff discuss issues, that is all.
deanhills
Indersingh wrote:
What is the moderator forum?
Please share the basic rule for moderator forum.
I thought this was a spam post, but OK if it is not, then I would answer this question differently. First of all, there isn't a Moderator Forum. It is called a Staff Forum that includes the owner, admin staff (for creating and servicing accounts) and moderators. The rule for the Staff Forum is that only the Staff have access to the Forum. One of the most important functions is that this is where the owner of the Forum can communicate with the staff and vice and versa. Both owner and staff make suggestions for how they can improve the functionality of the Forum, as well as how they can assist with all the various tasks. On the admin side the tasks include setting up of Website accounts - creating accounts - and servicing those accounts. Banning spam bots and serious spammers. Etc. As well as periodic clean-ups of Website space that is no longer being used. Moderators have the task to check on the quality of the discussions in the Forums, get rid of spam posts and warn posters when they have broken Forum rules, or recommend their banning in the Staff Forum. Sometimes when there is a shortage of admin staff, moderators can assist with creating accounts and banning of spammers. But that all depends on how the owner of the Forum wishes to run his Forum. It could be anything from total trust and delegating all tasks, to only delegating up to a certain level of tasks.
badai
Quote:
What you don't know won't hurt you
Nameless
Since the spam post has been deleted, leaving Bikerman as the 'Original Poster', this topic is now inadvertently hilarious. I approve! Very Happy
deanhills
badai wrote:
Quote:
I take it you mean that what we don't know about the "Moderator" Forum won't hurt us. I would agree with this statement if I were to make my one duty post every day just to keep my Website going. But if I were a bulk poster, making many posts every day and got involved in controversial type discussions from time to time, it would probably be a good idea to know what was going on and whom we are dealing with in positions of authority.
loremar
Nameless wrote:
Since the spam post has been deleted, leaving Bikerman as the 'Original Poster', this topic is now inadvertently hilarious. I approve! Very Happy

HAHAHA. lol I really thought Bikerman was the original poster.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
Nameless wrote:

HAHAHA. lol I really thought Bikerman was the original poster.
I don't know how I missed Nameless's post. Just noticed it now. Definitely hilarious. Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
badai wrote:
Quote:
I take it you mean that what we don't know about the "Moderator" Forum won't hurt us. I would agree with this statement if I were to make my one duty post every day just to keep my Website going. But if I were a bulk poster, making many posts every day and got involved in controversial type discussions from time to time, it would probably be a good idea to know what was going on and whom we are dealing with in positions of authority.

Meh, who is in a position of authority really wouldn't make much of a difference I don't think.

You know the site admin and everyone has the option to report a specific post and/or user. In my mind that is plenty. In fact this brings a new idea - perhaps nobody should have ever known the moderators even existed and they should have just been disguised and not ever interfered with the community as a moderator.

This would actually avoid a lot of problems.

But the staff forum is highly confidential and you know it may not even exist.
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
In fact this brings a new idea - perhaps nobody should have ever known the moderators even existed and they should have just been disguised and not ever interfered with the community as a moderator.

On a lot of boards this is completely unnecessary, but here... Man that would make things work so much more smoothly!
Peterssidan
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
perhaps nobody should have ever known the moderators even existed and they should have just been disguised and not ever interfered with the community as a moderator.
Your disguise is pretty good
Bikerman
I didn't realise the OP had been 'spamcanned'. It would make sense, under the circumstances, to delete the entire thread. However, since it provides at least a modicum of amusement I'll leave it alone Smile
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
In fact this brings a new idea - perhaps nobody should have ever known the moderators even existed and they should have just been disguised and not ever interfered with the community as a moderator.

On a lot of boards this is completely unnecessary, but here... Man that would make things work so much more smoothly!

Yes it would. But even on any board I think it would actually be a good idea. Really the only person people need to know about being in charge is the owner / site admin. Otherwise the report feature handles everything else.

Peterssidan wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
perhaps nobody should have ever known the moderators even existed and they should have just been disguised and not ever interfered with the community as a moderator.
Your disguise is pretty good

It does work quite well. I don't think everyone even knows I'm a mod, apart from the usual Frihosters. I've had quite a few people message me on how to achieve the Ghost of Frihost rank. Laughing
deanhills
I'm a bit stumped that any one should suggest a Moderator be invisible. If a Moderator has to make public Moderator comments - as part of the job - how could he/she be an invisible Moderator? It would be important as well for EVERYONE on board to know that that person is a Moderator.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
It does work quite well. I don't think everyone even knows I'm a mod, apart from the usual Frihosters. I've had quite a few people message me on how to achieve the Ghost of Frihost rank. Laughing

I'd like to suggest that your "label" be changed to reflect you are a Moderator. You're right, it is misleading. By the way, I can't recall an official announcement when you were made a Mod. Did I miss it? To the formal equivalent of Ocalhoun and Bikerman. Sadly so I would say. I was robbed of an opportunity to congratulate you and had to figure it out later by checking the Group Control Panel.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
I'm a bit stumped that any one should suggest a Moderator be invisible. If a Moderator has to make public Moderator comments - as part of the job - how could he/she be an invisible Moderator? It would be important as well for EVERYONE on board to know that that person is a Moderator.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I'd like to suggest that your "label" be changed to reflect you are a Moderator. You're right, it is misleading. By the way, I can't recall an official announcement when you were made a Mod. Did I miss it? To the formal equivalent of Ocalhoun and Bikerman. Sadly so I would say. I was robbed of an opportunity to congratulate you and had to figure it out later by checking the Group Control Panel.

If you are referring to a moderator editing posts, it can be done in an orderly manner and could just be put "Modified by site staff" or something similar. Perhaps even a number could be added, just so the staff would know in future reference who exactly modified the post/thread.

For whatever reason, users are getting defensive when a staff gets involved in a thread that they are participating in. I've never seen this happen on any other board, so it should not happen on this board. Therefore, I think all staff should be entirely invisible to the members. This would rule out any possible conflicts between the staff and the users.

If this were the case, and a member thought that the staff was being unfair, they could report it in correct fashion (i.e. the report feature, pm'ing the site admin) and it would be handled accordingly.

But I see where this is headed. I was just giving my opinion... Obviously most people already know who the staff consist of, so it would never happen anyways.
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
...I think all staff should be entirely invisible to the members. This would rule out any possible conflicts between the staff and the users.

But man would it ever generate illuminati style conspiracy theories! There's a hidden elite within FriHost watching your every post, directing the scenes from behind closed doors... etc Razz
deanhills
Nah Ghost Rider. That would rob us plebs of all of the fun of having our own special Royalty at Frihost. As far as I'm concerned you've earned and deserved your position and you have my vote (most of the time anyway ..... hehe). Was it you who suggested I should do a Max style Website with all of the personalities ..... ?

By the way, the other day I came across Max's old Website and it is still alive and going:
http://kenshi.frihost.net/ Hopefully we will never lose it. If ever there is a clean-up of accounts one day, hope someone on the staff will keep this one in mind for not deleting it.

I was wondering Ghost Rider. Do you have editing ability to change Max's profile so that the above kenshi.frihost.net Website could replace the one that is listed in his profile as the one listed in his profile is not working any longer:
http://vrythramax.co.cz/

Idea Maybe I could copy the Kenshi one and publish and update it under Deanhills, or just keep a backup in case it gets deleted by accident one day.
Peterssidan
Max is the true ghost of Frihost.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Max is the true ghost of Frihost.
Right. I still can't believe he is gone.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
I was wondering Ghost Rider. Do you have editing ability to change Max's profile [...]

deanhills wrote:
[...] Maybe I could copy the Kenshi one and publish and update it under Deanhills
If anyone feels the need to do that they can easily copy any website as they wish, but I would be troubled if I thought Frihost staff would transfer any sort of pseudo proxy author permissions for my account after my death. I have a few passwords in my wallet, and if my family want to do anything with them, great, but if not, let it go.

deanhills wrote:
, or just keep a backup in case it gets deleted by accident one day.

I can't imagine accidental deletion is ever likely to happen, but of course you have the option to copy and save any site for your personal use.
Blaster
I must say I can't believe this post has gone as long as it has... OK that is all...

BTW it is very amusing reading this for sure.
deanhills
@Watersoul. My questions were directed at a Moderator who knew Max (also a Moderator) very well, so would have preferred to receive his feedback over yours.

@Ghost Rider. Perhaps Blaster has a good point here. Maybe the thread can be closed now? Wink
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
@Watersoul. My questions were directed at a Moderator who knew Max (also a Moderator) very well, so would have preferred to receive his feedback over yours.

I'm quite aware who Max was Dean, I was a member a couple of years before you joined, but that said, I don't publicise any interaction we may or may not have enjoyed, and I dont want access to his former site.
I stand by my comments, and I'll add that I think it's a bit creepy to want to update or ammend a dead mans web creations.
I understand you might prefer feedback from others before me, but as this is an open public forum, I guess you cannot choose that sole option.
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

I stand by my comments, and I'll add that I think it's a bit creepy to want to update or ammend a dead mans web creations.

Uh... yeah... I'm gonna have to agree with that.
If you've got a really popular website, you might want to put something about its disposition in your will... otherwise, let the site die with its creator.