FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

$250 laptop

Tony The Tiger
Some of the Christmas circulars that came this weekend have some incredibly cheap computers. I saw one for about $250 that has 15.6 inch screen, 320 GB internal hard drive and 3GB of memory. If that 3GB is upgradeable and Windows is included that is about all you really need for most people.
Ankhanu
... I'm not sure what the point of the post is. Yes, you can get a computer with decent specs for very little money; this isn't news.
playhouse
anyone tried a google chromebook?

They are very good, but not great when 'offline' away from internet connection.
A great step towards shell computing
Tony The Tiger
Ankhanu wrote:
... I'm not sure what the point of the post is. Yes, you can get a computer with decent specs for very little money; this isn't news.

Well, how little money and how good the spec is still sort of news to me. I am very use to four-figure costs for laptops.
tamilparks
whether it is useful?
ujjwalshrestha
Anyone know what happen with raspberry pi?
Ankhanu
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Well, how little money and how good the spec is still sort of news to me. I am very use to four-figure costs for laptops.

Yeah, all my laptops have been four-figure purchases too... but there are some decent quality systems for fairly cheap out there. Modern cheap systems will cover most people's needs quite nicely.

tamilparks wrote:
whether it is useful?

Depends on what you want to do.
If you want to check email, surf the web, play simple and browser based games, and do word processing and basic number crunching, they're great. Really this is what most people do...
If you want to play 3D games and edit lots of images and video, or render complex calculations (AutoCAD for example), you're going to want something more expensive.

ujjwalshrestha wrote:
Anyone know what happen with raspberry pi?

Still truckin' along, as far as I know, with a release date near the end of the month.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/ for info.
Tony The Tiger
tamilparks wrote:
whether it is useful?

I don't understand what you are saying? Are you responding to me?
kmontano
I've used a chromebook (One of google's cr-46 preview models) and I really liked it. I found it to be enough for emailing, social networking and word processing. I do wish it had some sort of offline capabilities though. Hopefully docs offline returns soon.
Tony The Tiger
kmontano wrote:
I've used a chromebook (One of google's cr-46 preview models) and I really liked it. I found it to be enough for emailing, social networking and word processing. I do wish it had some sort of offline capabilities though. Hopefully docs offline returns soon.

Could I edit wikipedia and browse twitter with a chromebook? What do you mean you can do word processing but it does not have offline capabilities though. What kind of word processing were you able to do with that machine? Also, when you say preview models, how much does what you were using resemble what the public could purchase in the end.
Ankhanu
Initially Chromebook and ChromeOS were cloud-based systems, requiring internet access for all app use; nothing other than the very base of the OS was on the hardware (but I've heard that's changed).

Yes, you can access webpages and do normal web-based junk on a Chromebook/ChromeOS. The interface for Chrome OS is in almost all respects, the Google Chrome browser.
Tony The Tiger
Ankhanu wrote:
Initially Chromebook and ChromeOS were cloud-based systems, requiring internet access for all app use; nothing other than the very base of the OS was on the hardware (but I've heard that's changed).

It sounds to me like you are saying that you did web based word processing on the trial version that you were using, but that more powerful operating system capabilities may facilitate more standard word processing on the hardware rather than on the cloud. Am I interpreting you correctly?
Ankhanu
No, nothing to do with trials.
Chrome OS used cloud and web-based applications, rather than applications installed on the hardware. For example, ALL word processing was done via something like Google Docs; nothing was installed on the hardware. The systems, literally were useless without an internet connection; they were just an interface for cloud systems.
The fact that very little is stored or done on the hardware, it's very fast booting, waking from sleep, etc. etc.... there was nothing really to load Razz

Since the initial release, they've been working on Chrome OS and the Chromebooks so that they can do something while offline, instead of being glorified paperweights.
bukaida
Last week my brother bought an Acer chrome book @$199 from NY and presented it to my 6 year old son. He said that it is selling like hot cake over there.
I was onto it for the last couple of days and here is what I found--

Advantages:
1) Very fast bootup and shut down speed.
2) Net browsing is extremely simple as the chrome os looks like you are running everything
on browser.

3) Virus free

Disadvantages:

1) Totally non customizable, you cannot load anything else on that laptop if you do not like chrome.

2) Without internet connection , it is almost useless. Not suitable for the countries where Internet is still very costly and low speed.

3) Lots of incompatibility with existing products ( specially Microsoft). Even a simple power point slide in its normal form will not run.

4) No local installation is possible. Even I could not play a simple movie file (mkv and flv) from my pen drive as there was no movie player pre-installed.

5) A major issue is compromising the privacy. You need to logon with your google account ( not a local account like windows/linux) and whatever you do can be tracked anytime.

Overall, this one is suitable only for those who uses the computer for internet only and has unlimited good and cheap internet connection. In my opinion, better invest a few $ more and buy any net book which has a hard disk and has the option to install and customize in any way you like , online or offline.
Gregoric
Well, thanks for listing that information. I had been thinking about usefulness of Chromebooks few weeks ago and I supposed that it is like this. But now, I am sure not to buy nor recommend the Chromebook to anyone.

About the cheap notebook, right now I am using a laptop bought for about 350$. It is Acer machine with Pentium B960 processor (dual-core 2,3Ghz), 6GB of fast (1600Mhz) RAM, 500GB HDD and no graphics card. The integrated one is Intel GMA. Here in Poland, I couldn't find anything better for such price. It can easily do anything except playing games from after 2005. So, if you are searching for such notebook only for work, you can find such one.
bukaida
Gregoric wrote:
right now I am using a laptop bought for about 350$. It is Acer machine with Pentium B960 processor (dual-core 2,3Ghz), 6GB of fast (1600Mhz) RAM, 500GB HDD and no graphics card. The integrated one is Intel GMA.

That is a pretty good configuration(Awesome actually). The laptops were not meant for serious gaming. So the pieces that have the additional graphics card/chip are astronomically priced. I have heard that external graphics card are available which can be connected through USB. Not sure about the price and performance.
IndieCthulhu
bukaida wrote:
Gregoric wrote:
right now I am using a laptop bought for about 350$. It is Acer machine with Pentium B960 processor (dual-core 2,3Ghz), 6GB of fast (1600Mhz) RAM, 500GB HDD and no graphics card. The integrated one is Intel GMA.

That is a pretty good configuration(Awesome actually). The laptops were not meant for serious gaming. So the pieces that have the additional graphics card/chip are astronomically priced. I have heard that external graphics card are available which can be connected through USB. Not sure about the price and performance.

That actually sounds awesome, but i haven't heard of these before, are they USB3? also where can i find them online?
bukaida
You can search the ebay. May be there are some sellers who will ship to your country.
Tony The Tiger
playhouse wrote:
anyone tried a google chromebook?

They are very good, but not great when 'offline' away from internet connection.
A great step towards shell computing

They are quite good when you are online, but they are totally useless when you are offline.
Tony The Tiger
Is there a new way to erase a message after responding. This is the second thread where I have been told I have a reply to my latest post and found that none existed.
biolu
Well usually you get the laptop you paid for. Some manufacturer labels their cheap laptop as high performance, but have no illusion, there is a difference between a 250$ laptop and a 1000$ one!
Tony The Tiger
biolu wrote:
Well usually you get the laptop you paid for. Some manufacturer labels their cheap laptop as high performance, but have no illusion, there is a difference between a 250$ laptop and a 1000$ one!

Which posting are your responding to? I am a bit confused.
Radar
I was also thinking about the Chromebook. I'm not sure what the general consensus ended up being about them, but it seemed like an interesting idea at the time.
abhinavm24
I think, Idea this post is gone in a different direction.
probably mr tiger wanted to know is it ok in puchasing a laptop with *so and so specs* offered at a very low price.

Rolling Eyes
well laptop with 320GB HDD n 3GB RAM at 250$ something.
I think it would with a hybrid product of smartphone and laptop rather.
So it comes with limitations like lack of customization (inherent from the mobile like qualities)
But it would look like a laptop. Razz
Gregoric
IndieCthulhu wrote:
bukaida wrote:
Gregoric wrote:

That actually sounds awesome, but i haven't heard of these before, are they USB3? also where can i find them online?

That model has three USB 2.0s and no Bluetooth. WiFi is b/g/n. I bought it via Polish office of Redcoon (that is a German Amazon-like service selling computer stuff). It was on high discount during after-Christman sale. I've seen a model with Bluetooth and i3 (some weaker model, but still, it was i3) that was about $30 more expensive. I regret I hadn;t bought the model with i3; I have hesitated for a day and all the available amount was sold. The one I bought (and using which this post is written, actually Smile) was sold in two days as well.

To find such an occasion, you need to have a list of online shops you'll visit during periods when there are sales usually (after holidays, or in Europe during summer when only few people buy computers).
Tony The Tiger
Radar wrote:
I was also thinking about the Chromebook. I'm not sure what the general consensus ended up being about them, but it seemed like an interesting idea at the time.

I like mine, but it is not a laptop substitute.
zimmer
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Some of the Christmas circulars that came this weekend have some incredibly cheap computers. I saw one for about $250 that has 15.6 inch screen, 320 GB internal hard drive and 3GB of memory. If that 3GB is upgradeable and Windows is included that is about all you really need for most people.

Ohh.. very old specification. .. hmm.. its 2011 post. lol
Tony The Tiger
zimmer wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Ohh.. very old specification. .. hmm.. its 2011 post. lol

I am on a 2012 Google Chromebook. I don't know what kind of memory it has, but I am pretty sure it is smaller than 15.6 inches. I am betting that it is about 12 inches. I don't think it has much of a internal hard drive. I don't know about that old circular.