You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gary Speed

From the Telegraph:

"The football world has been left in shock by the death of Gary Speed, the Welsh international manager.

The 42- year-old, one of the most respected young managers in the game, was found hanged at his North Wales home this morning.

Speed enjoyed a glittering career as a player at Leeds, Everton, Newcastle and Bolton before moving into coaching with his national team.

He has been leading a renaissance of the Welsh national side in recent weeks, but his life has been tragically cut short by what police are treating as suicide.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police confirmed: "At 7.08am this morning, Sunday 27 November, police were informed of an incident at Aldford Road, Huntington. Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and next of kin have been informed."

The spokesman added that the man was found hanged."

What the heck happened?
Still really sad. He was talking THAT day about opening a twitter account and looking forward to using it... really sad
sad how things happen, and life gets in the way of all of our plans
big loss for football
How are Wales doing now?
medesignz wrote:
How are Wales doing now?

Not a whole lot. Currently rank below 100 in Fifa ranking.
I was going to Elland Road as a much younger man, watching my beloved Leeds United, when Speed was emerging from the youth team...he stood out in the youth game as being bigger in both build & presence on the pitch, than the other lads, and even then looked a very, very good player.
I was there when he made his debut in the first team, scored his first goal, and helped the team to promotion and 2 years later to win the English Football League championship (now the Premier League).
As that great Leeds team broke up, Speed eventually moved on, but was always "Leeds" to me....I always watched his progress with interest, and was stunned to hear of his death.
I guess we'll never know for sure why such a fine young man would do what he did. Sad
Excerpt from wikipedia:
Speed was a versatile player who could play in left midfield, central midfield, and also at left-back, but playing mainly as a left-side attacking midfielder, with a knack for directing powerful headers towards goal. He possessed great tactical awareness, and could both create and score goals. Regularly a captain, he was said by his teammates to have been an 'inspirational figure' who led by example and demanded the best from those around him.

He was well known as a 'consummate professional' both on and off the field. Hardworking, honest and self critical, he was not blessed with exceptional talent at a young age, but instead developed his technique through many hours of hard work on the training field. He had a reputation as an extremely fit footballer who looked after his body. He had a modern approach to diet and fitness, a rare quality amongst players of his generation. His level of fitness allowed him to avoid injury and to continue playing until the age of 39; he rarely missed a game.

He also had a reputation as a friendly and supportive person, who cared for and took an interest in the lives of the people around him; his 'nice guy' persona made him a popular and well respected figure amongst his peers."
Sad to see such icons go